What the Fuck is a Beat Battle?

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I've been hearing a lot about beat battles lately. What happens at one? Do they make beats on the fly? Is it like a dj or mc battle format? I'm confused and uninformed.

Comments

• HamHam 872 Posts
    maybe you get a song to sample and have to do the nicest beat?

pretty pointless

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I thougth it was more an online happening, where peepz get to flip the same sample or break. Highest rating wins.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

hehe, that looks like an OFFLINE hapening

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts

Cool photos with cool lighting, but what was happening in the time between snapshots. Were they beat battling?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I thougth it was more an online happening, where peepz get to flip the same sample or break. Highest rating wins.

That's a beat off

The only beat battle I ever attended had dudes set up their machines of choice, and played beats for the crowd. The crowd then decided through louder "ooooohhhhh!!!!!!!"s, fiercer head nods, and the patented whitefolkswavinghandmotion*. The more loud and epileptic the crowd became, the better the performance.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

That's a beat off

The only beat battle I ever attended had dudes set up their machines of choice, and played beats for the crowd. The crowd then decided through louder "ooooohhhhh!!!!!!!"s, fiercer head nods, and the patented whitefolkswavinghandmotion*. The more loud and epileptic the crowd became, the better the performance.

Yeah the hand and head nodding gets out of control at beat society. Its like you play your slap and then look at the crowd like "feel me". Btw for those in the Seattle area we're doin at War Room on Saturday at 7. Brought to you by the fine people at Beat Society and that cool refreshing drink Red Bull.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

That's a beat off

AYO!

• That's a beat off

AYO!

mmmmmmmmm

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts

A contest done by www.nu-skratch.com: each contestant (producers duo in this case) gets 20 pounds and have to go digging and make a beat.

check the video trailers at:
    http://www.nu-skratch.com/index2.html

• I've been hearing a lot about beat battles lately. What happens at one? Do they make beats on the fly? Is it like a dj or mc battle format? I'm confused and uninformed.

Well, back in college... Me and some guys would get together and...

Well... In a circle you know... and... uh... the last one to... well, you know... of course, this was years ago, we don't do that anymore.

Anyhow, maybe that's a different beat battle, I don't know really.

Peace...

• i have been to two root down beat battles. the first was will.i.am from black eyed peas vs thes one from PUTS and the second was exile vs oh no. unfortunately i missed the cut chemist vs madlib one.

they are interesting. they don't really have any real rules. you get three beats each. you can bring equipment along to play/add elements to your beat. for example will.i.am brought a moog type of thing and pretended to fart towards thes. and thes had the joints and jams samples loaded on the mpc and people went crazy. the exile/oh no one kinda sucked. exile was able to scratch some stuff in but nuttin too crazy.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    So you basically play a pre-recorded beat and maybe adda thing or 2 live?

• awallawall 673 Posts
    I've been hearing a lot about beat battles lately. What happens at one? Do they make beats on the fly? Is it like a dj or mc battle format? I'm confused and uninformed.

from my understanding basically dudes trade off playing their MPCs live. whoever the crowd goes more nuts for wins. the whole idea is pretty

a while back they did a Thes One vs. that dude from Black Eyed Peas battle in LA...i have a CD of it somewhere. shit is just kind of silly. pretty hilarious match up, though.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    That's a beat off

isnt it time for a new soulstrut beatoff? another one with some other easylistening crap lp everyone has.... james last? or maybe soulstrut approved eddie kendricks?

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    That's a beat off

isnt it time for a new soulstrut beatoff? another one with some other easylistening crap lp everyone has.... james last? or maybe soulstrut approved eddie kendricks?

I??m down. James Last got that heat (seriously).

- J

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

they've been having them out here in NYC for a minute now, it's all on MPC, and you just bring your disks and go for it. Haven't been to one yet, but they sound kinda interesting.

http://www.hiphopdrums.com/community.html

As for the Root Down stuff, I talked with one of the dudes from the Root Down a while ago after they had the Madlib vs Cut Chemist, and he called it a 'sound system' battle - based more on the Jamaican sound system battles.

But hey, what do I know, y'all are talking about nookie cookies and shit...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

A contest done by www.nu-skratch.com: each contestant (producers duo in this case) gets 20 pounds and have to go digging and make a beat.

check the video trailers at:
    http://www.nu-skratch.com/index2.html

I watched a couple of these, but it was kind of like going record shopping without any loot...ANYWAY, although these guys over-react to it, does anyone know what the record they are checking out is in THIS CLIP?

• seagal's got that heat

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    from my understanding basically dudes trade off playing their MPCs "live"[/b] . whoever the crowd goes more nuts for wins.
    They used to have mpegs on the 5 Spot NYC site... can't find 'em now but I think J-Live hosted.

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    i was in one at the nuyorican poets cafe,the beginning of every month!
    i was in a battle and its goes by crowd reaction(cough),anyway i battled some
    kid with an ipod,i got that round,elimenated in the second.second time in a
    battle i didnt even care cause i just felt like that,im not a dude for contest...