I celebrate the entire Warp Records catalog?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited April 2016 in Music Talk
maybe not, but i was revisiting some shit recently and i am in love with these again

what are your favorite releases?

Comments

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Haven't brought out these in a while, but I listened to them a lot a couple of years ago.

Gave the Boards cd to an exgirlfriend, though.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I haven't gotten anything of Warp in yearssssssss. But I remember getting sent a white label test press for Nightmares On Wax - Dextrous and later LFO - LFO and then picking up the released copies later.

• Can't go wrong w/ Elektroids, Ultradyne, Drexciya, and LFO. Luke Vibert is classic as well. Besides, they were/are a gateway label for electronic music.
    A++++ LABEL WOULD BUY AGAIN

• slushslush 691 Posts
    there was this big record show in toronto about a month ago... and of all the sellers pawning their psychjazzfunksoul rares, I came home amped mostly about some dude who was on Warp's distribution list in the 90s and had all the early Warp Promo 12s for 10 bucks. Filled a few holes in my collection... i love warp

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

4-Eva
    I know it barely qualifies but still, classic collections

• the drummer and bassist in Red Snapper are straight banana cakes...

• i love this album

• muggimuggi Reykjavík, Iceland 44 Posts

oh I need this record

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

MASSIVE

One of my all-time favorites. That Elektroids LP is slept on too.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    I GOT A STUN GUUUUUN
    I GOT A STUN GUUUUUN
    I GOT A STUN GUUUUUN
    I GOT A STUN GUUUUUN

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

yes.

- spidey

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

yes.

- spidey

i celebrate Broadcast's entire catalog...

also love this album off WARP

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    my favourites:

squarepusher - hard normal daddy
    now - smokers delight / carboot soul
    aphex twin - richard d james, I care because you do and selected ambient works 2
    autechre - amber, incunabula, tri repetae
    two lone swordsmen - stay down
    boards of canady - music has the right and the twoism re-release

I love to listen to these autechre LPs from time to time. Smokers delight is one of the best downtempo LPs of all time. aphex twin simply kicks ass.
    I also liked their 4LP best of/ influences and remix packages

warp released a lot of crap in recent years though.

• pardon me, but what is all this shit? 90's electronica/hipster music? (please excuse my ignorance if this isn't the case)

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Warpies that get airplay around here:

Red Snapper "Prince Blimey"
    Boards Of Canada "Music Has The Right To Children" + "Geogaddi"
    Squarepusher "Music Is Rotted One Note"
    The Other People Place "Lifestyles Of The Laptop Cafe"
    Broadcast "Haha Sound"
    Richard D James stuff
    Jimi Tenor stuff
    some Autechre stuff
    even !!!
    + several others

most recent entry into mind garden: Jackson And His Computer Band "Smash"

I need that Elektroids too.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    my faves=
    tom-hard normal daddy,go plastic, and feed me weird things,ultravisitor
    hello everything is kinda -ehhhhh

aphex-richard d james ,druks,

boc-music has a right to children

plaid-rustproof clockwork

also they put a book out for their anniversary recently

• pardon me, but what is all this shit? 90's electronica/hipster music? (please excuse my ignorance if this isn't the case)

Not exactly. It's more along the lines of 'really good electronic music' than 'hipster shit'. If you're not familiar w/ some of these names, you might be doing yourself a disservice.

• Luke Vibert

Not a big fan of a lot of his Wagon Christ stuff, but Plug wasd dope and the Big Soup album was great, lots of cutty samples... Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy has cool shit on it, That RDJ Bucephelous (sp?) Bouncing Ball track is crazy. I used to get with some of this stuff. I still have a lot of it on wax. Been a while since I fucked with it though. Another good one, not on Warp, but similar, is The Clifford Gilberto Rhythm Combination, that 14 Junk Classics album, or whatever it's called, cool "jazz jungle" ish and even a squarepusher diss. At least I always thought it was a diss, he redoes that track Come On My Selector, and the manner in which he does it is almost to say "yeah, I can do shit like that too", but it wasn't nearly as good as the SP version. By the way, here is the awesome video for Squarepusher's Come On My Selector, I always thought this shit was cool:

• i like the more "songy" stuff:

in 1996-1999 you could actually like music like this and still be cool with the popular kids.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Cant stand jamie lidell or vincent gallo. Aphex Twin is pretty good but I think my favorite record of his is the first SAW collection which I don't think was on Warp? Don't recall.

the first SAW collection which I don't think was on Warp? Don't recall.
    great LP on R&S records

• Not a big fan of a lot of his Wagon Christ stuff, but Plug wasd dope and the Big Soup album was great

i like big soup too, but isnt that Mo Wax.

i wish i still had that

Not a big fan of a lot of his Wagon Christ stuff, but Plug wasd dope and the Big Soup album was great

i wish i still had that

Yes, Mo Wax. Good LP. Nice sample action on that one.

• No love for Prefuse around here? This is probably the only album by him that you need (cause for me his later stuff sounds too redundant) but for me this was some groundbreaking stuff.

Not a big fan of a lot of his Wagon Christ stuff, but Plug wasd dope and the Big Soup album was great

i wish i still had that

Yes, Mo Wax. Good LP. Nice sample action on that one.

I just realized that I own this. Didn??t listen to it for years. Just listening to it and it??s actually much better than expected. I prefer the plug LP as his best work though

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Did you guys ever check that Vibert album with the slide guitar player? Pretty weird stuff.

I prefer the plug LP as his best work though

Yes, "Drum'n'Bass For Papa" is real good. Vibert was doing some killer stuff back then. For the last couple of years I haven't really checked for him beyond the "YosepH" LP on Warp and some of the Amen Andrews twelves. He knows a lot about library records. Doesn't he frequent the Vinyl Vulture board?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    coopers world live

and beep street'

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    I prefer the plug LP as his best work though

Yes, "Drum'n'Bass For Papa" is real good. Vibert was doing some killer stuff back then. For the last couple of years I haven't really checked for him beyond the "YosepH" LP on Warp and some of the Amen Andrews twelves. He knows a lot about library records. Doesn't he frequent the Vinyl Vulture board?

he still makes some killer stuff, i love his italo project.. 'realistique' and 'disco nasty', mmmmmh quality! http://www.discogs.com/release/730843