Atlantis Appreciation (k-os Related)

BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I don't know how many of you, including the fellow canadians, are checking for new music from k-os, but I thought I'd put up a post about his new album Atlantis - Hymns for Disco. Normally I don't really buy his music. I have his first album and enjoy most of it, but everything he's been doing in the past couple years hasn't really hit me. Anyways so I was in HMV killing time the other day and saw the album for 11.99, and I liked the lead single that had some Much Music video play, so I bought it. That was like 6 days ago, I've probably listened to it about 10 or 12 times all the way through. And when I'm not listening, songs are stuck in my head.I don't often get this into albums, and this one certainly came out of left field for me. It's pretty much what you'd expect from a k-os album - a mix of soul, rock, and hip hop that's backed my a b-boy break pulseline. But something about it just works better, flows better. There's less straight ahead hip hop, and a lot of blues and rock with k-os singing and breaking into the occasional rap here and there.It's really growing on me, and I'd hate to see it go under people's radar.Download it and if you like it then buy it. To me it feels like it would work really well into a lot of sets for playing out. Check it out. If people are interested I'll throw it up on sendspace or something. I just don't have it ripped to my computer yet.

Comments

• slushslush 691 Posts
    no

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I was gonna post something about this album the other day but thought it probably wasn't up the alley of some of the more purist strutters (and that's not a knock, just different taste).

I heard the album the other day and it blew me away. One of the best new records I've heard all year. K-os has a way of bringing eclectic styles of music into a song in a way that isn't in-your-face obvious, but every time I listen I hear new sounds that I didn't pick up on before. It's one of the few records I've listened to and wanted to go back and hear each and every song, instead of picking out favorites.

My only gripe with the album is that on the last track there are two guest emcees, one of whom is solid, but the other dude rhymes the word horse 5 times in one verse, and it sounds so unbelievably wack in that Mike Jones kinda way.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I guess I'll try to find it and download it , but I generally am not interested in K-OS because he is such an asshole and that's not baller to me.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    ^^^

• He did this one track where he samples an Isley Brothers joint (Footsteps in the dark) and I liked it *gulp* anyone wanna upload that. But yeah some of his shit is corny-as-fuck "B.Boy" or something?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I don't give a fukk. I like me some K-OS. He's one of my good friends cousins.

Hell, I even liked the Heaven Only Knows rmx. Or give me the Vid with him riding the bike with the gilligan's shit any day...

Not on utube???

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    did you even watch the video i posted?

that shit isnt dope to you?

Fuck outta here.

Seriously? Personally, I doubt it would have sounded much better than OK in 1992, when it seemed like every other record featured a jazz loop and some variant on that Tribe/Pharcyde style. Please tell me it was from '92...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Ah, OK then - maybe I was a little harsh. Still, I dunno that it stands up all that well against a lot of the other similar shit that was around then, and not because it's Canadian either. I mean, I've bought Maestro Fresh Wes records, y'know...

The difference with that song tho, is that it's super indie. I know K-OS writes his own shit and produces it. And back then, I wouldn't doubt if he did everything out of his basement. Even pressing the vinyl! HA!

There was veryyyy little money put into it. Zero support. Cept for maybe the video, which he probably applied for a grant himself to get it made on a shoestring budget.

Funny that you bring up the Maestro. Since K-OS is probably the only other Canadian to make any real money outta hip hop in this country (I refuse to include S.M.).

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    He did this one track where he samples an Isley Brothers joint (Footsteps in the dark)

Wow, that's never been done before!

Crazy innovationz, son!

Off the one joint I've heard from this dude, I can say definitively that he is horrible. Rap for people that wear clothes made out of hemp.

Seriously.

Why haven't you started the music version of rotten tomatoes yet? Your level of hattin' is truly an untapped resource.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    That guy is a real asshole, and to top it off, he's corny as shit.

this thread is majorly

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Asshole or not, the music just isnt that great. Paint by numbers rapp.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I liked the video of "Heven Only Knows", with him riding the bike. Beyond that, I haven't checked for his ish. The other vids were mor.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    http://www.torontoist.com/archives/2006/10/hiphop_artist_a.php

yes he is indeed mad, hah.

I am not exactly running out to puchase his album. I did like that "rise to the sun" super indie white label joint bitd. B*lly, I remember traxx was the only place that had it.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    When I was in Toronto last, I bought a Public Enemy T-shirt in Kensington Market with Miss Bassie. I wore it the next day & bumped into K-Os on Queen st. Dude gave me a thumbs up.

I also bumped into Amanda Walsh twice, but was too shy to talk to her. She is my number # 1 TV crush.

Queen st. is kinda fun.

Maestro is my favorite Canadian MC, followed by Thrust, early Rascalz, & HDV.

And Kish.

peace

h

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    did you even watch the video i posted?

that shit isnt dope to you?

Fuck outta here.

Of course I did. Why don't you ask Phill if that qualifies as "that rill schitt".
    Shit was "ok" even for back then. Getting ass hurt cause I don't like it as much as you is

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Shit was "ok"
    Not even "OK"... Generic, Corny and Forced.

• Man... I knew there's be some hatting going on... but damn.

Haha. Making a mental not to not bring up k-os on the strut again... jeez.

I still stand by this album though. Anyone that wants to hear it can pm me, I'll up it for them.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I have to say I loved that "rise to the sun" joint back then, mind you I was 13 and Much Rapcity was the only time I got to hear rap. I enjoy some of his tracks, even if the guy is a douche out in the real world. It cracks me up that SS will ride all day for JT/Will.I.Am and hate so hard on this guy, please explain.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Why does everyone say he's an asshole?

• It cracks me up that SS will ride all day for JT/Will.I.Am and hate so hard on this guy, please explain.

And I'm not trying to reverse-hatt on those dudes. I just thought that the strut was a little more open minded (I know... bad assumption) and would be interested in a dude who's trying some different things.

Whatever though really. I'll still be putting a k-os track on my xmas mixtape for friends..

I don't know what people are talking about. Dude has been hella nice anytime I've met him.

Guy write his own rhymes, produces his own music. Plays a bunch of instruments.

Even the Orchestra special on cbc was mildly entertaining.

Isn't afraid try to be creative, even if it doesn't come off.

The NOW shit was weak. But to be honest. I can't stand reviews from that paper anymore.

But whatever. Keep listening to the boatloads of quality & original shit out there right now.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Can't say I'm really enjoying this album so far, on the first listen. I gave it a chance though. It sounds like every song is in the same boring key or something, I don't know it's not grabbing me, wouldn't hurt to have a banger or two.