The Fountain

Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Just came back from seeing this. After reading several mixed reviews, I came in with a pretty open mind. Overall I thought it was incredible.Completely different from the usual hollywood storyline, a little slow at times (which doesn't neccessarily bother me) and visually STUNNING.Maybe not everyone will be feeling this, but I'm glad I saw it in the theater.

Comments

• agreed. a totally unique film in terms of storytelling style. thoroughly non-linear.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Just came back from seeing this. After reading several mixed reviews, I came in with a pretty open mind. Overall I thought it was incredible.
    Completely different from the usual hollywood storyline, a little slow at times (which doesn't neccessarily bother me) and visually STUNNING.

Maybe not everyone will be feeling this, but I'm glad I saw it in the theater.

looks dope. are you in town? or back in providence?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I just watched the trailer and it looks great!
    Requiem For A Dream came out in 2000,
    I'm just wondering why it took Aronofsky 6 years to get another
    movie done?
    That seems like an awful long time.

• There is a long article in Wired a couple of issues ago about Aranofskies battles with big Hollywood over this film and accomplishing his artistic vision. The Outsider- Darren Arronofsky and Big Hollywood. This is an interesting read. "Perhaps the most surprising thing about the movie, though, is that the director was able to finish it at all. Just before the scheduled start of shooting in 2002, the film's original star, Brad Pitt, abruptly bailed. Costar Cate Blanchett left shortly thereafter. At various points in the production, Aronofsky's backers pulled out, studio executives questioned his sanity, and the script went through a radical reincarnation. The Fountain ??? an allegory about the promise of eternal life ??? died several ugly deaths on its way to the screen."

"New projects are already piling up on the director's desk. Aronofsky and Watson are planning an adaptation of Flicker, Theodore Roszak's novel about a critic who sees subliminal portents of the apocalypse in B movies. Aronofsky will also produce an original animated musical by Dawson and Schrecker this fall and is rumored to be developing a script based on the life of Timothy Leary." (Doesn't seem like he plans on taking the safe route anytime soon with material such as this.)

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    There is a long article in Wired a couple of issues ago about Aranofskies battles with big Hollywood over this film and accomplishing his artistic vision. The Outsider- Darren Arronofsky and Big Hollywood. This is an interesting read. "Perhaps the most surprising thing about the movie, though, is that the director was able to finish it at all. Just before the scheduled start of shooting in 2002, the film's original star, Brad Pitt, abruptly bailed. Costar Cate Blanchett left shortly thereafter. At various points in the production, Aronofsky's backers pulled out, studio executives questioned his sanity, and the script went through a radical reincarnation. The Fountain ??? an allegory about the promise of eternal life ??? died several ugly deaths on its way to the screen."

"New projects are already piling up on the director's desk. Aronofsky and Watson are planning an adaptation of Flicker, Theodore Roszak's novel about a critic who sees subliminal portents of the apocalypse in B movies. Aronofsky will also produce an original animated musical by Dawson and Schrecker this fall and is rumored to be developing a script based on the life of Timothy Leary." (Doesn't seem like he plans on taking the safe route anytime soon with material such as this.)

I figured there was a story behind the delay...
    Thanks!

• Just saw this last night...

Overall I was shocked that this got a major release... Heads ain't ready, I'd suspect.

My friend went the day before, and said some people straight walked out on it.

On a related note, I had just watched the incredible documentary, "Flight From Death: the Search for Immortality", a few days prior, and it is aiming at the same thing. The doc wasn't about finding actual immortality, but how how the fear and denial of death is the cause of most of humanities problems and anxieties.

But yeah... the Fountain was excellent.

Peace...
    FNM

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I can't wait to see this, i've been waiting since i first saw the trailer.

Unanimous so far? Can it last?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    DOPE movie. You have to see this one. I would ride a camel halfway across the country to see it. Seriously, an amazing movie that makes you really think about the world around you.

• I was a little underwhelmed but it certainly seems like the type of movie I'll like more when I see it again. Huge Aronosky fan here.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    So, I pretty much hated Pi, I thought Requiem was overhyped and shitty. The Fountain was surprisingly interesting. The movie was predictable, but the way it was told was interesting, and intimate. I wish it wouldn't have primarily followed the character of hugh jackman, because he's kind of a boring actor. Though, I really like what was done visually with the movie. It's definitely aronofsky growing into a much stronger director. The death sequence of the future character was worth the price of admission alone. Also Rachel Weiz playing a wife that needs to be saved for the second time? eh. But she was however pretty cute with short hair.

Worth telling people about. Not the greatest but pretty solid.

7.5/10

- spidey

• Just got back from this and found "The Fountain" very affecting. I've been faced with thinking about mortality lately (NO GOTH). It is almost meditative in its dissection of how to approach death. The multiple story lines worked well, and even though the tale was rather simple, it was timeless in a way sci-fi films rarely are.

Yes, some of the dialog got chuckles in the theater, but you really had to be in that kind of mood to watch it. This isn't a bang-pop, gritty, black & white flick with plenty o' action a la "Pi."

That article Vagabond posted a link to is a good introduction, I was glad I read it before I went.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    This isn't a bang-pop, gritty, black & white flick with plenty o' boredom a la "Pi."

- spidey

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    This isn't a bang-pop, gritty, black & white flick with plenty o' action a la "Pi."

I had been waiting for this one a minute and rolled solo to it. It's a real nice metaphysical/non-linear head twister, but I'm glad it followed the main characters of Tommy and Izzie. The whole movie wouldn't make sense if it wasn't based around the core storyline. Rachel Weisz was perfect for the role of Izzie, really sweet but heartbreaking. Hugh Jackman actually got to show a full range of emotion instead of the stern Wolverine character he's developed.

That said, the movie is quite lugubrious at times and I noticed a few people had to walk out/take breathers. I think if you've never had a serious relationship or pondered life/mortality you'll be scratching your head and wondering "wtf was that bubble schitt and who gives a damn about a tree..."

but seriously it's kinda like 2001 but on a whole 'nother level. kinda cliche at times but the soundtrack and the visuals are worth the price of admission

I don't condone drug use but if you smoke or pop pills, I'd be curious to hear your review of the movie.

MUST SEE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU LIKE THAT ARTHOUSE TRIPPING OUT SCI FI SCHITT

• That said, the movie is quite lugubrious at times and I noticed a few people had to walk out/take breathers. I think if you've never had a serious relationship or pondered life/mortality you'll be scratching your head and wondering "wtf was that bubble schitt and who gives a damn about a tree..."

Yeah, not that we are that old, but we saw a row of teenagers who were like

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    the movie is quite lugubrious at times

Do you talk this way to your mans'n'nem?

the movie is quite lugubrious at times

Do you talk this way to your mans'n'nem?

You know what, I forgot to bid on your fany memphix auction. How did it go?

• I was a little underwhelmed but it certainly seems like the type of movie I'll like more when I see it again. Huge Aronosky fan here.

Saw it again today. I caught a few parts I missed before which helped me understand the film a lot more but I was still disappointed. I just think it lacked character development and the timing of some events just seemed hokey. It was beautifully shot and the acting/direction was top notch but it left me feeling a little empty. I didn't feel that way with Pi or Requiem.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    are you all that desperate for something different that you'll praise this pseudo intellectual metaphysical piece of crap?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Just watched this on DVD, was confused and enlightened at the same time, very cool take on mortality, worth a watch at home. Didn't know it had Academy Nominated Ellen Burstyn from Requiem for a Dream in it. Awesome and powerful ending.

are you all that desperate for something different that you'll praise this pseudo intellectual metaphysical piece of crap?

yeah I'll take it
    rachel weisz lookin hot as evar and cool graphix
    probably a really good movie to watch while high or something