What's good like Samurai Champloo?

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
It's exam time, which means I'm extra keen to find new ways of procrastinating. The TV Links site helped a lot--I've gone through number of programmes, most recently Samurai Champloo. Samurai Champloo is the first anime I've seen and I have to admit to being riveted by the last episodes. What other anime should I watch? There must be strutters who are deep into this stuff. Isn't anime the twenty-third pillar of hiphop?

Comments

• dunno but champloo is HEAT. on a different tack altogether (but animation & nice beats) - adult swim has its moments. funny to hear flying lotus on there, though from looking into it a little, it seems like he has a strong connection. i'm not sure if he doesn't actually direct adult swim shit.

on a sidenote, if you don't know it, check the "wamono" video. it's a track by japanese duo HIFANA, who are on some seriously shit on the MPC (search youtube for: hifana, you'll get what i'm sayin)

have you check ninjai - the little ninja? that's some nice shit. if i remember rightly, the whole series is available for free dl.

• forgot the url (though it's not exactly cryptic)

ninjai - the little ninja

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Everyone talks about "Ninja Scroll". Its supposed to be amazing. I have a dvd at home, but I can't pull myself away from the Kung Fu flicks.

peace

h

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    watch ninja scroll, you'll enjoy it tremendously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayao_Miyazaki

ok so totally different from samurai champloo, but this dude is a genius.

ps: the nujabes sdtrks for samurai champloo are decent.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    The same company did a series called Cowboy Bebop, which is much in the same aesthetic mix of cultures/time periods w/ good story and humor as Samurai Champloo. If you don't enjoy it, it's probably best not to venture any further.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayao_Miyazaki

howls moving castle, spirited away, princess mononoke, kikis delivery service, porco rosso... you can't go wrong there. i have 3 kids... fuck disney, it's shit like that les triplettes de belleville etc. is where it 's at

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

Paranoia Agent - Anime heads hate this shit, but I love it. I always figured HBO could remake this into a 12 part mini series and have a little hit on their hands. I hate to throw this name out, but it reminds me of something Lynch would try to pull off. It's lacking the retarded comedy most Anime has, so maybe that's why a lot of Anime heads aren't feeling it.

Texhnolyze - More Anime that seems to have missed the "fanbase" but managed to impress me. I hit up some of the anime dealers up here and basically find out what's "missed the mark" to get an idea of what I'll like. I watch a lot of arthouse/indy/international film so the cute/happy/typical anime is useless to me.

Some OLD School fun;

...and some random series that I enjoyed. If you want to get into movies, it's a whole other ballgame...

• not really anime but i really recommend samurai jack.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    The same company did a series called Cowboy Bebop, which is much in the same aesthetic mix of cultures/time periods w/ good story and humor as Samurai Champloo. If you don't enjoy it, it's probably best not to venture any further.

If you like Champloo, you should love Bebop because Bebop is the real shit. Also FLCL aka Furi Kuri (its known by both) is another stunning series. An absolute must for anime fans who aren't , ya know, "anime fans"

• Neon Genesis EVANGELION. Most complex plot ever but actually amazing. Gets raw towards the end of the series but definitely recommended.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayao_Miyazaki

howls moving castle, spirited away, princess mononoke, kikis delivery service, porco rosso... you can't go wrong there.

+ one of the early movies "LAPUTA: castle in the sky". It??s my favourite and highly recommended. There is a giant model of the robot from this movie on top of the Ghibli museum in Tokyo (, which btw is a great place to check out if you like the movies).

• I just watched this for the first time yesterday, and yes, it is dope...

Was the soundtrack, or any of it ever available on vinyl?

The Shing02 theme is really nice too!

• I also recommend Samurai Seven - an anime adaptation of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. Another one that is good is Basilisk - awesome Romeo & Juliet type story with bands of ninjas that have crazy supernatural techniques.

Full Metal Alchemist is also reportedly good. I'll let you know more when I've finished acquiring it.

• Full Metal Alchemist is also reportedly good.

Excellent show.

HIGHLY recommended!!

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts
    here you go

At times it could be cheesy but the fighting scenes are dope

FLCL a little out there but fun to watch

Gasaraki Bipedal weapons

Classic anime Neon Genesis

• Man, that is just too dope.

Ya cant even think about running off a list of top anime without starting with the work of Miyazaki and Ghibli Studios.
    Yeah, although you don't hear it mentioned nearly enough, Laputa is probably my personal favorite in the Miyazaki cannon.
    Followed closely by Lupin III/Castle of Cagliostro (TMS, not Studio Ghibli).
    Kiki and Totoro are tied.
    Loved Porco Rosso.
    Loved Spirited Away.
    Not crazy about Howl's Moving Castle or fan favorite Princess Mononoke (the themes of which I felt he tackled better in his earlier Nausicaa).

And if you wanna dig a little deeper, look for Miyazaki's late 70's tv series called "Future Boy Conan", which has a lot in common with his later Laputa.
    You can probably find a DVD set on the Bay for cheap.
    Unheralded classic anime series...

Same with the half dozen or so episodes he directed of "Famous Detective Holmes" (aka Sherlock Hound).
    Check out one of his episodes before you dismiss it as a cute, talking animal cartoon.
    Very sophisticated, incredibly animated stuff from the early 80's that doensn't look dated in the least.
    (just make sure you watch any of the six or so that Miyazaki directed as the others take a drastic dive in quality)

Lastly, while Miyazaki's Lupin III film Castle of Cagliostro is easily considered to be the best there is of that anime series, he also directed two episodes of the 2nd television series from the late 70s, made around the time Caglisotro was in production.
    Of those two, "Wings of the Albatross", is perhaps the finest contained half hour anime ever made.

Fuck the dubbed cartoon network bullshit though.
    Seek this out with subtitles if possible.
    It's so amazingly directed and put together, that you wonder what this man could've done with live action.
    (Kurosawa once even lamented that Japan's best directors were working in animation. He was referring to Miyazaki.)

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I'd have to put Totoro on the top of my Ghibli list, but they all have their charm.

On the anime front I enjoyed Last Exile.

Non anime i've enjoyed recently

Back to Japan, but not strickly anime, I saw this recently

Kanashimi no Belladonna

(you have to love youtube)

Produced by the same studio that made Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    with all this talk on Ghibli, don't sleep on Pom Poko by Isao Takahata. Far and away my favourite studio ghibli film. forgoes Miyazaki's Parisian fetish and replaces it with awesome japanese tanuki folklore

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

Classic anime Neon Genesis

What episode is this from?!?!?!

I don't remember this sequence at all, from the tv series or movie.
    What's the deal, 8 bitz?

• I've got to check out some of these. Totally agree with Samurai Champloo, Studio Ghibli, Ninja Scroll, Lain, Paranoid Agent...

I've got to suggest Giant Robo. This was my introduction to Anime.

Another classic Anime movie that you should check out is Graveyard of the Fireflies. It's not full of action, fantasy, or science fiction but is an example of incredible story telling that leaves most people in tears.

Also on the movie tip are Tokyo Godfathers and Perfect Blue. These are both done by the same guy who did Paranoia Agent.

definitely the illest place I have ever been. The museum-only extra totoro film / Ghibli character stained glass windows / film theme rooms / crazy 3D model animations = better than Mt Fuji

btw I don't think any of the Champloo soundtrack is on vinyl, only like 4 or 5 CDs. find the nujabes vinyls cos they're just as dope.

• I just watched this for the first time yesterday, and yes, it is dope...

Was the soundtrack, or any of it ever available on vinyl?

The Shing02 theme is really nice too!

None of it was ever available on vinyl, sadly. They released like 4 or 5 CDs with all the tunes from the series on.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i dont really watch anime but im a huge ghost in the shell fan. the first movie is a classic and influenced so many things while the second movie isnt quite as good but the animation is beautiful. i like the two seasons of the tv series even more though. im bad at describing things so if you want more information you can look at the website: http://www.ghostintheshell.tv/

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    oh yeah and yoko kanno is the shit!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    i dont really watch anime but im a huge ghost in the shell fan. the first movie is a classic and influenced so many things while the second movie isnt quite as good but the animation is beautiful. i like the two seasons of the tv series even more though. im bad at describing things so if you want more information you can look at the website: http://www.ghostintheshell.tv/

IG also made the amazing "Blood: The Last Vampire"

If you're a fan of Mamoru Oshii's work you should checkout his live action, anime style film, Avalon.

I haven't seen his latest 'The Amazing Lives of the Fast Food Grifters' it looks pretty different, but I'm sure it'll please on some levels.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I really enjoyed Last Exile[/b]. Unique world, plot, great characters, awesome animation, etc.

• To add a few things, Akira was quite something too !

Deep, complex, intense, ... Katsuhiro Otomo behind the board...

IMG height="200" width="200" src="http://lord.kaneda.free.fr/akira/images/kanedamotofilm.jpg" align="center" border="0">

Also Jin Roh : Hiroyuki Okiura directing...

IMG height="200" width="200" src="http://neogokuraku.galeon.com/caratulas/caratulas_rip_x/Jin-Roh-front.jpg" align="center" border="0">

And I confirm that Lain was really amazing...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I'm assuming that this is not necessarily anime related. ubu.com has sucked away days of my life. I've recently forfeited the time of many of my colleagues after hipping them to arrested development dvd's via netflix. And, if you're not familiar with herzog i recommend checking out Cobra Verde.