If you had three days left at your job...

DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Would you:

Go ahead tell the most annoying person to eat they mama's dick?

Go ahead and slap that hot new bitch on the ass?

Come in at 3:00 everyday, blunted as fuck and talk to yourself?

Dick around on Soul Strut?

All of the above?

Other _________?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm guessing I don't like the job?

in Hollywood work comes in stints and you know your only going to work for x amount of days so I tend to be cool with all. Job security is only as solid as your last day

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

All of the above

syaing

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Would you:

All of the above?

Other _________?

sometimes it is best to not burn your bridges. if you think you'll ever have to call this place back for a reference i'd say none of the above, or just dick around on Soul Strut.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    I'm guessing I don't like the job?

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Ah, the Exit Interview: Free at Last,
    Is It Smart to Really Be Candid?
    May 25, 2005; Page B1

After three years of working 80-hour weeks as an advertising copywriter, Chris Goldschmidt couldn't take it anymore. So he tendered his resignation and sat down for an exit interview with his managers.

But it was pretty hard for him to be frank about his two bosses, considering that they were married to each other. "I couldn't have said to him that his wife was a harpy," says Mr. Goldschmidt. "And I couldn't have said to her that her husband was an ineffective, spineless nitwit."

Still, the two wanted a detailed explanation of why he was leaving. It was his job's last little minefield, and he was long past wondering how he got into it, focused instead on how to get out. So he dodged. "I took the easy route and said, 'I enjoyed my three years at this hellhole.' " The two bosses laughed, thinking the use of the term "hellhole" was a joke, he says, while in reality he was choking on the word "enjoyed."

Exit interviews are many things, but when one is trying to extract oneself from an unfortunate job, they are often the wobbly tightrope strung between constructive criticism and a badly burnt bridge. Ideally, they can improve a company's inner workings and maybe even help colleagues. After all, you're jumping ship, but your office mates may be the ones who need a life vest. The problem is that to achieve that positive outcome, so much has to go right with the exit interview when so much can easily go wrong.

One frequent problem is that employees often walk away with the impression that the company values them more now that they're leaving. When Dave Reyburn left his former job eight years ago, he had never had any access to the top brass. "This is someone who, if you got 10 minutes of face time with her after a month of rescheduling meetings, that was significant," he says. But once he was on his way out, she met with him four times, with some meetings lasting as long as an hour. The company even offered to double his monthly salary if he would postpone his departure by another 30 days because there was so much work. "Suddenly, not only did they want my opinion but they were actually paying for it," he says.

On the other hand, employers, who have to sift through criticisms real and completely made up, sometimes have to face departing employees who have an inflated sense of how much their opinions are worth.

During Joe Michael's final week at a high-tech company, the head of his division graciously asked the young intern to lunch to solicit his opinion of the business. During lunch Mr. Michael "got up on one of my many soapboxes," he says. "I explained how we needed to improve the product and where organizational dynamics were suboptimal. At the time, I was at business school, so of course I knew what all of that meant." So puffed up was he, he says, that he even sent follow-up messages saying things like, "and furthermore... ."

Some supervisors try to suppress criticism or rationalize that a departing employee wasn't worth holding on to anyway. But it's a mistake to miss this opportunity, says Richard Kilburg, senior director of the office of human services at Johns Hopkins University. "If the organization refuses to look at the information or interpret it, those are the organizations that do worse over time, simply because they don't test reality."

As a result of information gleaned from exit interviews, Amy Jantz, who formerly managed employee relations at a nonprofit health-care company, was able to help win remaining employees a pay raise and streamline some inefficiencies. But a manager at the company also retaliated against an employee who gave a frank exit interview, providing a less-than-stellar reference to the employee's prospective employer. Ms. Jantz's department eventually intervened, persuading the employer to call a few more of the employee's prior colleagues and supervisors. "It wasn't really pretty," she says.

Cathy Fingerman prepared for her exit interview in her head for months, planning to suggest cost-saving and employee-retention measures. Then she got a letter from the company that offered an 800 number tied to an automated system to receive her prescriptions, rather than a face-to-face interview. "I read that over and over and over again and I was just astounded," she says. She never made the call, and if she had by that point, "I think it would have taken me out of the employee-in-good-standing category," she says.

Sometimes it's just too late to clear the air. "It's obvious this hasn't been a great fit," Jim Kirk told his boss in his exit interview. "It's clear that you haven't been thrilled with me."

"Whaddya mean?" asked his boss, stunned. "I thought we were sparring. People I like -- sometimes I give them a hard time and it's just my way."

"No," Mr. Kirk responded, "you were smacking me around, and sometimes I smacked back."

Then he added this zinger: "It's not that I can't work with you anymore. It's just that I don't have to, and I don't want to."

URL for this article:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB111696775412342111,00.html

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    If you already have a better job lined up, WILD OUT like the Ruff Ryders! If you do not have a job lined up, CHILL. Plaese to remember that the company can DENY your unemployment benefits. They can tell the unemployment office that you committed a criminal act or you "wilded out" and you get NO money from the state hommie.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Would you:

I already do.....shhhhhhhhhhh.....

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    You only have one option....

"TEACH THEM HOW TO DIG"

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

"TEACH ALL THE WHITE GIRLS ABOUT HIP-HOP"

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

"TEACH ALL THE WHITE GIRLS ABOUT HIP-HOP"

!!!

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

Thats what they pay me for.

I'd have to say slap some ass. I'd have to slap everyones ass though - just bust through the doors with a wound up wet towel and yell 'Here come da paaaain!!!!'

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Denmark,

My professional (and moral) advice would be to exit with grace. Any person with no conscience could march in and tell everyone with whom they have had a contentious relationship to fuck off. It takes a person with character and of high conscience to thank the employer for the opportunity, and move on to (hopefully) greener pastures. Not to mention, it is inadvisable to burn bridges as you never know when you might find yourself in need. As I have been advised to do (and have done) professionally (by both my father and professionals alike), I recommend that you take the moral high road and exit with grace. It takes a REAL MAN to be the BIGGER MAN!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Hey Denmark,

My professional (and moral) advice would be to exit with grace. Any person with no conscience could march in and tell everyone with whom they have had a contentious relationship to fuck off. It takes a person with character and of high conscience to thank the employer for the opportunity, and move on to (hopefully) greener pastures. Not to mention, it is inadvisable to burn bridges as you never know when you might find yourself in need. As I have been advised to do (and have done) professionally (by both my father and professionals alike), I recommend that you take the moral high road and exit with grace. It takes a REAL MAN to be the BIGGER MAN!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

No kidding. Telling people you don't like to fuck off would be it's own full time job. Plus, quitting pretty much says "I don't like working here."

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Denmark,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

No kidding. Telling people you don't like to fuck off would be it's own full time job. Plus, quitting pretty much says "I don't like working here."

This would encompass a large portion of my current work colleagues who are self-deluded, self-aggrandizing, arrogant, pseudoliberal xenophobes. I find them laughable at best, and deplorable at worst. Yet, I detest Milwaukee as a city more than them, so that would be my primary reason for leaving my current job, as my wife concurs.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I love my job. There is only one asshole (not counting me). Rest are cool. And there are tons of hot women working here. It's too much.

I work for the American Psychological Association and I'm leaving to attend graduate school in psychology. I'm not a bridge burner anyhow. But something about these last few days makes me wanna act a fool.

And there are tons of hot women working here. It's too much.

Really??? Are they psychologists??? I would guess that they are clerical staff and other administrators. Quite honestly, I've always found psychology to attract rather physically unattractive women (and men, from what my wife says, with myself being a studly exception). I know the girls in grad school were reeeeeeally homely. That's why I got down with either undergrad females, those from other departments, or women from the community.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

And there are tons of hot women working here. It's too much.

Really??? Are they psychologists??? I would guess that they are clerical staff and other administrators. Quite honestly, I've always found psychology to attract rather physically unattractive women (and men, from what my wife says, with myself being a studly exception). I know the girls in grad school were reeeeeeally homely. That's why I got down with either undergrad females, those from other departments, or women from the community.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I likes me a homely bitch.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Actually, I've just started the psychology program (don't know how to put that in English - I guess what americans would call a psychology major, or something) and there are foxy girls aplenty. Might be a Sweden thing.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

i got less than a day left at my job here.

i'm considering leaving an upper decker in the pooper tank.

don't know how to put that in English

there are foxy girls aplenty

Might be a Sweden thing.

Actually, I've just started the psychology program (don't know how to put that in English - I guess what americans would call a psychology major, or something) and there are foxy girls aplenty. Might be a Sweden thing.

Are you talking undergrad or graduate-level? In the United States, you cannot practice as a psychologist without at least a masters degree. So, I would hedge the guess that you are in an undergraduate program where there are, in fact, cutie pies. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear, at least in my experience, that those cutie pies go on to pursue graduate degrees. I could only speculate as to why, but there is an attractiveness bias in employment interviewing, which may facilitate cute girls' job market mobility and choice not to further their education. Who knows?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

or maybe the chicks you think are hot are nairbutta buncha dumbasses.

guess it's why I feel them "homely" ones...cause maybe they had to do something besides priss the fuck around to get ahead.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

This is anyday and everyday...

or maybe the chicks you think are hot are nairbutta buncha dumbasses.

guess it's why I feel them "homely" ones...cause maybe they had to do something besides priss the fuck around to get ahead.

On the contrary, I always liked women who were mentally as well as physically attractive (e.g., my spouse). I'm of the opinion that a lot of prototypically "hot" women did not have to develop themselves intellectually, thus making them linear, vain, and uninteresting. So, I actually agree with your last point, but wouldn't consider most of the psychologist women I have known as physically attractive. Of course, there are exceptions. I just found your comment about the fine women at the APA as surprising, that's all.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Options
    Would you:

All of the above?

Other _________?

The only thing on this list that I don't do at work is dick around on SoulStrut, although the ass-slap works in reverse and I rarely come in blunted anymore. Crystal (Tony Feta Cheese's ex-wife) slapped my ass the other day, told me she was "divorced now", and I told her I'm getting a harrassment case ready for her. Oh, and I've never told someone to "eat they mamas dick", but I told Don Jesus (Born again Xian) that I was going to "smack the lip off his face for him" (he has Jagger lips).

Some of your jobs must be fucking boring as hell, but i guess there's not much you can do about that.

Last week they asked me if I was interested in a promotion to foreman, that shit would be hysterical.

• I'd say go that one person who's been annoying the fuck out of you since day 1 and give them the titty-twister/wedgie special.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

On the contrary, I always liked women who were mentally as well as physically attractive (e.g., my spouse). I'm of the opinion that a lot of prototypically "hot" women did not have to develop themselves intellectually, thus making them linear, vain, and uninteresting.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

aint it the truth...

I have had several models type girls who were so uninteresting mentally that I eventually had no attraction for them... I have never been able to just use someone for sex when I no longer cared for them... sometimes I think of how much more sex I could have got if I could do that... then again I could have a disease too. Moral of the story, If ever anything is not positive, never wish that you would have done it... be grateful you made the right choice...