UCLA Campus Police (Racial Profiling related)

picoandsepulvedapicoandsepulveda 1,026 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
LOS ANGELES - A student who was shocked by a campus police officer's Taser gun after he refused to show ID at a UCLA library thought he was being singled out by the officer because of his Middle Eastern appearance, his lawyer said. Attorney Stephen Yagman said he plans to file a federal civil rights lawsuit on behalf of the U.S.-born student, Mostafa Tabatabainejad.

Tabatabainejad, 23, was shocked Tuesday night after arguing with a campus police officer who was conducting a routine check of student IDs at the University of California, Los Angeles Powell Library computer lab.Yagman said his client declined to show his school ID because he thought he was being targeted for his appearance. His family is of Iranian descent.Police have said Tabatabainejad encouraged others at the library to join his resistance, and when a crowd gathered, the officer used the stun gun on him.Yagman disputed that, saying Tabatabainejad started yelling to draw attention after the police officer pulled out the Taser.Tabatabainejad was arrested for resisting and obstructing a police officer and later released on his own recognizance.The incident, recorded on another student's camera phone, showed Tabatabainejad screaming while on the floor of the computer lab. It was the third time in a month in which police behavior in the city was criticized after amateur video surfaced.UCLA's interim chancellor, Norman Abrams, urged the public to withhold judgment while the campus police department investigates.Several civil rights organizations, including Amnesty International and the Council on American-Islamic Relations, have called for an independent review.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    From someone that was there.

http://messageboard.tuckermax.com/showthread.php?t=12336

Tho, the guy seems like a bit of a jerk.

And your story is incorrect. It wasn't a campus police officer who was doing the routine ID check.
    It was Campus Security dude. Which is a student who works for the school. I was one when I went to school in Arizona. Which oddly enough, was full of International students (By law, when someone who is an International Student, one of the only legal jobs we can have in the country is working on campus and only for 20 hour a week).

• Wow, that tuckermax message board makes soulstrutters on a bad day look like saints.

And yes, I laughed because when people get tasered for no good reason, or a perfectly good one, its hilarious.

What they should have done is cuffed the kid, dragged him out of the building into a dark alley, then gone to town with the tazer.

And fuck this degenerate Iranian disgrace. He deserved everything he got, and then some. I'll Taser him myself while I curse him in Farsi for fucking up our good name even more.

I was having a pretty good day until about 10 minutes ago. To any Muslim apologists reading this, I hope you get AIDS from drinking a blonde, big-fake-tittied American woman's menstrual blood while being attacked by German Shepherds in Abu fucking Ghraib.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    NOT GUILTY.

• Yeah it seems to boil down to, is it okay to taser somebody... once? twice? five times?

If s/he's being a dick?
    How about mentally ill?
    Dangerous?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    for the sake of the racial element of this story it should be said that Westwood has an enormous persian community. plenty of good middle estern eateries in the area

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    that looked pretty overdramatic.

• I was having a pretty good day until about 10 minutes ago. To any Muslim apologists reading this, I hope you get AIDS from drinking a blonde, big-fake-tittied American woman's menstrual blood while being attacked by German Shepherds in Abu fucking Ghraib.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    that looked pretty overdramatic.

It ain't racial profiling or nothing lol It's just a security guard that probably got highly aggitated at a UCLA prick. If words can't stop him, a taser gun can.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    the thing is that a certain % of people will have a heart attack and die upon being tasered
    it's still lethal for people with a weak heart

i smell lots of money coming that kid's way

• I was having a pretty good day until about 10 minutes ago. To any Muslim apologists reading this, I hope you get AIDS from drinking a blonde, big-fake-tittied American woman's menstrual blood while being attacked by German Shepherds in Abu fucking Ghraib.

This dude has some serious underlying issues with his background/community.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    prick or no prick, multiple tasering is not necc if the dood is just lying on the ground. it actually sounds like the kid couldnt physically get off the ground. the po did have to carry him off.

shit just made me vomit. ahimsa man... A-HIM-SA

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    And when asked for a badge number/information one of the dudes says "Get back, or you'll get tased too".

Hmm.

• the thing is that a certain % of people will have a heart attack and die upon being tasered
    it's still lethal for people with a weak heart

i smell lots of money coming that kid's way

that might be the smell of his own urine...no, you're right...it's money! too bad no johnny cochran...

And when asked for a badge number/information one of the dudes says "Get back, or you'll get tased too".

Hmm.

seriously....and in L.A. too?? that's crazy...

• And when asked for a badge number/information one of the dudes says "Get back, or you'll get tased too".

Hmm.

It's inappropriate to ask that information of a police officer while they're dealing with some belligerent guy like this. There's a time and place.

• And when asked for a badge number/information one of the dudes says "Get back, or you'll get tased too".

Hmm.

It's inappropriate to ask that information of a police officer while they're dealing with some belligerent guy like this. There's a time and place.

if you were in that guy's position...I bet you wouldn't find it inappropriate for your homie to ask for dude's info...

I just think it went too far...obviously there was a problem...not saying that...but...there comes a point...where it is excessive...imo...and being able to get badge#'s etc to report misconduct/abuse of power...enables us to maintain some sort of checks/balances to their power...

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    Was this dude handcuffed AND getting tazered? That's fucked up.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    fairy shit aside, confrontational assholes always reserve the right to get fucked up. and i say this from the perspective of a (former?) confrontational asshole.

Hmm.

if you were in that guy's position...I bet you wouldn't find it inappropriate for your homie to ask for dude's info...

That's irrelevant.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts

Hmm.

That's irrelevant.

To me it's seems inappropriate to threaten somebody with extreme force if he is just asking a question.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I consider myself a pretty liberal guy (surprise!), but it looked like he brought it on himself.

He wouldn't show his ID so they asked him to leave, he throws a fit and gets all Al Pacino/And Justice For All in the fucking UCLA library ("this is your Patriot Act!").

Dude, just show em your ID[/b].

He doesn't listen, they tell him get up half a dozen times and he probably went limp as Dolo's baby penis in their arms and wouldn't budge.

I'm not saying they couldn't have made different choices in how to deal with him, but like I said, overdramatic.

• I consider myself a pretty liberal guy (surprise!), but it looked like he brought it on himself.

He wouldn't show his ID so they asked him to leave, he throws a fit and gets all Al Pacino/And Justice For All in the fucking UCLA library ("this is your Patriot Act!").

He doesn't listen, they tell him get up half a dozen times and he probably went limp as Dolo's baby penis in their arms and wouldn't budge.

I'm not saying they couldn't have made different choices in how to deal with him, but like I said, overdramatic.

agreed with all that...show ID...but, there comes a point when it's too much tazer fun...you know?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I consider myself a pretty liberal guy (surprise!), but it looked like he brought it on himself.

what probably happend was the dude was working on a term paper and forgot his id at home... he was probably press for time and was pissed off that he had to leave b/c he didnt have his id and refused the first round of cops.

yes he was being a prick, and probably had some misdirected anger, but i dont think he deserved tasering. was he fighting back? was he threating the lives of anyone?

all in all, its too early to know exactly what happend, im just saying there is a proportional response and this shit got way outta hand.

kinda sucks that ucla is gonna get hit HARD for this... that school is great.

• what probably happend was the dude was working on a term paper and forgot his id at home... he was probably press for time and was pissed off that he had to leave b/c he didnt have his id and refused the first round of cops.

Just stop.

This guy was making Sean Penn look reserved. He earned every volt.

Had I been there, I would have been secretly hoping for some of those self-righteous people to get zapped, too.

Good lord--get over yourselves.

• what probably happend was the dude was working on a term paper and forgot his id at home... he was probably press for time and was pissed off that he had to leave b/c he didnt have his id and refused the first round of cops.

Just stop.

Had I been there, I would have been secretly hoping for some of those self-righteous people to get zapped, too.

Better yet dude was probably writing poetry for orphans.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

what probably happend was the dude was working on a term paper and forgot his id at home... he was probably press for time and was pissed off that he had to leave b/c he didnt have his id and refused the first round of cops.

Just stop.

The only other instances that I've heard about where somebody got zapped involved weapons and/or a threat to someone's safety. I fail to see that in this situation.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

Just stop.

dood... youre missing the point. the kid was a prick, but it still gives the po no authority to shock him multiple times. how much of a threat did he pose? its totally an unnecessary use of force.

you got the makings of a great cop.

Dude should have got

THIS

And beat them at there own game!!!

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Speculating about whether or not this guy should have gotten tazed based on that video is not all that good of a look.

• He doesn't listen, they tell him get up half a dozen times and he probably went limp as Dolo's baby penis in their arms and wouldn't budge.

Dogg, if I shoved my erect penis into a bush itd look like there was an oak growing out my groin. your role: know it and slow it.