Human species 'may split in two'

coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
According to this pseudo-scientific theory, our male progeny could all end up looking like black NBA players. Human species 'may split in two' Humanity may split into two sub-species in 100,000 years' time as predicted by HG Wells, an expert has said. Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry of the London School of Economics expects a genetic upper class and a dim-witted underclass to emerge. The human race would peak in the year 3000, he said - before a decline due to dependence on technology. People would become choosier about their sexual partners, causing humanity to divide into sub-species, he added. The descendants of the genetic upper class would be tall, slim, healthy, attractive, intelligent, and creative and a far cry from the "underclass" humans who would have evolved into dim-witted, ugly, squat goblin-like creatures. Race 'ironed out' But in the nearer future, humans will evolve in 1,000 years into giants between 6ft and 7ft tall[/b], he predicts, while life-spans will have extended to 120 years, Dr Curry claims. Physical appearance, driven by indicators of health, youth and fertility, will improve, he says, while men will exhibit symmetrical facial features, look athletic, and have squarer jaws, deeper voices and bigger penises.[/b] Women, on the other hand, will develop lighter, smooth, hairless skin, large clear eyes, pert breasts, glossy hair, and even features, he adds. Racial differences will be ironed out by interbreeding, producing a uniform race of coffee-coloured people[/b]. However, Dr Curry warns, in 10,000 years time humans may have paid a genetic price for relying on technology. Spoiled by gadgets designed to meet their every need, they could come to resemble domesticated animals. Receding chins Social skills, such as communicating and interacting with others, could be lost, along with emotions such as love, sympathy, trust and respect. People would become less able to care for others, or perform in teams. Physically, they would start to appear more juvenile. Chins would recede, as a result of having to chew less on processed food. There could also be health problems caused by reliance on medicine, resulting in weak immune systems. Preventing deaths would also help to preserve the genetic defects that cause cancer. Further into the future, sexual selection - being choosy about one's partner - was likely to create more and more genetic inequality, said Dr Curry. The logical outcome would be two sub-species, "gracile" and "robust" humans similar to the Eloi and Morlocks foretold by HG Wells in his 1895 novel The Time Machine. "While science and technology have the potential to create an ideal habitat for humanity over the next millennium, there is a possibility of a monumental genetic hangover over the subsequent millennia due to an over-reliance on technology reducing our natural capacity to resist disease, or our evolved ability to get along with each other, said Dr Curry. He carried out the report for men's satellite TV channel Bravo. Story from BBC NEWS:http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/6057734.stmPublished: 2006/10/17 08:47:57 GMT?? BBC MMVI

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i wanna see. someone invent a time machine.

• Yeah, I saw that story and was highly intrigued by the ramifications.

I got a lot of thoughts on it, but I can't comfortably share them in
    a public forum without risking racism, weightism or cultural imperialism.
    I will say that I am doing my part on the coffee-colored single race thing,
    beyond simply drinking 8 cups of coffee a day. Also I am keeping my jaw
    straight jutting by eating ribs and apples. (The Adam & Eve diet).

So instead of coherently written sentences, here are my opinions on the
    subject expressed in keyword format:

recessive, Mexican, lumbering, Swede, Filipinos, lanky, hog-like,
    Caucasoid, stretch, hybrid, obesity, Native, seratonin, mountain,
    subcutaneous, hinterland, doughy, Henry, American, steroids, leafy,
    purity, cities, proportioned, Eskimos, rice, evolution, slave,
    range, Indian, eyebrow, ocean.

• hog(g)-like

Coffee-colored women with pert breasts? You're damn right, Hogg like.

Hi, T*nya!

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

So instead of coherently written sentences, here are my opinions on the
    subject expressed in keyword format:

recessive, Mexican, lumbering, Swede, Filipinos, lanky, hog-like,
    Caucasoid, stretch, hybrid, obesity, Native, seratonin, mountain,
    subcutaneous, hinterland, doughy, Henry, American, steroids, leafy,
    purity, cities, proportioned, Eskimos, rice, evolution, slave,
    range, Indian, eyebrow, ocean.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I especially like this prediction: "Social skills, such as communicating and interacting with others, could be lost."

Am I supposed to believe that those socially inept people who spend all of their time on the internet are actually advancing the species?

P.S. Hi, R**ss!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I especially like this prediction: "Social skills, such as communicating and interacting with others, could be lost."

I want to hear which social skills don't involve interacting with others.

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    pert 

???adjective, -er, -est. 1. boldly forward in speech or behavior; impertinent; saucy.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Am I supposed to believe that those socially inept people who spend all of their time on the internet are actually advancing the species?

P.S. Hi, R**ss!

Yea, most of his stuff seems based on things that won't really effect genes and evolution.

His whole "women will turn into Barbie" is nuts. Just cuz people are plastic surgery crazy don't mean they ain't got ugly GENES!!!! Have you ever seen the shots of the partents at the Miss America pagent????UUGGGGHHHH! Plus, seriously Paris Hilton is UGLAAAAA!!!!!! Only money makes people find her attractive. The fact that she's rich, has expensive clothes, a team of assistants and make up artists..............

And what's with the big penis thing. As time goes on Women will get pregnat buy guys with big ones and there for pass on the big willie gene?????? Dude is nuts!

• Poster: maru
    Subject: Re: Human species 'may split in two'

i wanna see. someone invent a time machine.

look no further than UConn.
    http://www.physorg.com/news63371210.html

i plan on going back for the sole purpose of scoring mint raers.

• Yeah, I've read some of this speciation stuff before, but I've never seen anyone take it to this extreme.

Haven't we already been on our way to speciation for a long time, anyhow, much to the chagrin of the Brontes, Jane Austens, and Nicholas Sparkses of the world (someone get this guy a Greyhound Bus ticket).

All I know is, that bald, pasty, fat, stupid, and big-penised midget is going to be one rich, self-deprecating lay in 100,000 years.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    And what's with the big penis thing. As time goes on Women will get pregnat buy guys with big ones and there for pass on the big willie gene?????? Dude is nuts!

That is the most likely part of this dude's theorem. Most social primates have bigger penises proportionally to their body size. This does not include our poor friend the gorilla, who has dinky wang syndrome.

In the same vein with dude's theory, I heard actual realistic evolution theory stating that humans in the coming future will develop larger noses to filter more pollution out of the air with more nose hair and surface area for it to get stuck in, and four toes, with the pinky toe joining the ring toe because most er'body's pinky toe got a lean.

• That is the most likely part of this dude's theorem. Most social primates have bigger penises proportionally to their body size. This does not include our poor friend the gorilla, who has dinky wang syndrome.

Did you read that, Dolo?! What are you waiting for?!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Humans being around another 1000 years is another tough feat to imagine probable. Seems like either pollution, an asteroid, or methane bubbling out of the Earth is gonna take us downtown to Chinatown as dominant species of the Earth sometime in the near future.

• I've always wondered about the asteroid, since it's the only reasonable means of extinction I can think of that wouldn't be induced by humans.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    am i the only one who noticed pretty all of of these predictions are happening right now?

• am i the only one who noticed pretty all of of these predictions are happening right now?

You cotdamn right... 95% of Soulstrut alone consists of freakish giants between 6 and 7 feet

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    am i the only one who noticed pretty all of of these predictions are happening right now?

You cotdamn right... 95% of Soulstrut alone consists of freakish giants between 6 and 7 feet

With huge penises!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

I want to hear which social skills don't involve interacting with others.

I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on this theory. Yeah, it's fun to think about the future, but these projections--one thousand, ten thousand, and one hundred thousand years --occur from a static point that is not incorporating the changes that take place between now and his projected changes. It's basically like holding a baseball and saying, "When I throw this baseball it will go alway the around the world," and then just talking about what the baseball does as it goes around the world, never considering that someone will probably catch it, or hit it with a bat.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on this theory. Yeah, it's fun to think about the future, but these projections--one thousand, ten thousand, and one hundred thousand years --occur from a static point that is not incorporating the changes that take place between now and his projected changes. It's basically like holding a baseball and saying, "When I throw this baseball it will go alway the around the world," and then just talking about what the baseball does as it goes around the world, never considering that someone will probably catch it, or hit it with a bat.

YUP. Asteroids, Volcanos, Tsunamis, Pandemics, and World Wars are less of a possibile monkey wrench in this theory, but actually more likely.

Can't hate on the optimism though.

• am i the only one who noticed pretty all of of these predictions are happening right now?

Futurists rely on current trends and project them logically into the future. That is all it is. In a lot of ways, his theory also relflects his own dispositions.

It is my estimation that long-term forcasting for any dynamic system is impossible. It would create far too many pardoxes. That there is a basic underlying structure whereby one could from a reductionist viewpoint say with any certainty what large scale structures will emerge from these elemtary principles is at best fanciful thining and at worst gobbldy gook. Show somebody two hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom, without knowing that it forms water, would he be able to forecast ocean currents?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I predict that in 2015 McFly is going to hand Biff his ass, for real.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    ...nevermind...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

"While science and technology have the potential to create an ideal habitat for humanity over the next millennium, there is a possibility of a monumental genetic hangover over the subsequent millennia due to an over-reliance on technology reducing our natural capacity to resist disease, or our evolved ability to get along with each other, said Dr Curry.

• Like most of you already noticed this guy is talking more about our times than anything that is even remotely possible in 100.000 years. He is actually very much like Wells, whose theory about social evolution was based on his fear of his own Victorian society, in which the oppressed working class became the frightening Morloks of the future and the intelligentsia and middle class became the weak Eloi.

Personally my own thinking has moved from a biological to a technological model of evolution, if man can survive the environmental threats. It won't take 100.000 years either.

• 'What we need is a great big melting pot
    Big enough to take the world and all it's got
    Keep it stirring for a hundred years or more
    And turn out coffee-coloured people by the score'

Madeline was right all along.....

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I remember when this report came out, and most of the reaction from leading others in the field was to say

The only bit I remeber though, was about the issue that race would be 'ironed out'. An 'expert' cited Brazil, as an example of how whites and blacks, had been living together for some time, yet show no signs of becoming 'one race'.
    But the genral consensus seemed to be that this report was deeply flawed.