D.R. Hooker Dilemma (PrivatePressRelated)

E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
After acquiring my first copy insanely cheap I was confronted with an endless amount of skips on 2 very nice tracks...So after shelling out ~70 bucks for an as mint/mint advertised copy I receive the record, open the mailer and what a suprise ......instead of a shiny, sexy and clean I see scratches of all kind on the record's surface I have not the slightest Idea how anyone on this planet could grade a record like this anything above G+ or even sell it for more than $5... However I'm not trying to put the seller on blast or anything similar in this post...Much rather I was wondering why the skips were almost identical to the ones on my first copy eventhough I was never able to see scratches, dings, dirt or any other anomaly it got me wondering if perhaps this pressing (500 were made, I believe) all have the skipping on the first tracks on each side..."A tormented Heart" seems to suffer most of this. As well as "Hello".In case you have a (mint) copy you're willing to part with, I will be very happy to forward those 70 bones to you for it.

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i have the cd

great record. shame it skips. plenty of crappy pressings and improperly mastered shit out there tho. i've opened up $200 sealed records only to have them skip. them's the breaks.

• *Bump*

Anyone?

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    As far as I know the lp plays clean without skips. I almost purchased one from a dealer 2-3 weeks ago and I trust his judgement, and he would have mentioned something like that. I have the other DR HOOKER so I was gonna complete the collection. Anyhow, the dealer never mentioned anything, where in the past he has. I know I have some Garage lp's from Indonesia that have the issue you're speaking on. There were 500 pressed, and maybe 300 of them have a issue with Song 2 on Side B. I had to wait a while until I found a copy that didn't skip on that track/have a pressing fault.

• Check your PMs

• Next copy. Skips also. yes.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Don't know about the skips in particular, but usually skipping is due to lower bass frequencies being out of phase/improperly mastered. A friend of mine was putting out his first record in the 70s and had a mastering engineer chew him out because of all the crazy bass-synth sounds he used. Mastering is a whole different game with vinyl.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    yeah if you dont master it properly the waveforms carved into the wax are too big and send the needle off of it. Seeing that bass tones have the biggiest compression/rare faction, the bass has to be a very big issue with the vinyl mastering engineer.