the squirrely bald dude at amoeba can eat a dick

2»

Comments

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    wow, that's too bad ya'll, I luh me some SF amoeba, goin there today after work.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    The other major issue is with the psycho bouncer dudes at the bag check counter.

those dudes are the SOLE reason why I didn't just start screaming at dude...they were like 2 feet away and I like my teeth.

funny how bad the LA store is, it's a joke really, my homie from the sf store had to work down there for a week, had some funny ish to report back...
    i keep it simple w/ a dont go there anymore policy...

yeah seriously...I think the only reason I want to keep going there is their house/electronica selection. I wish Gramaphone had a fuckin store here, I'd live there. argh... but for hip hop promos and shit like that Arons is just fine. I actually prefer that spot.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Arons is just fine. I actually prefer that spot.

!!!

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I used to hit up the Berkeley one which was nice. That was back in the day though. I had them try to vick me on a bunch of CD's once. I said laters for that. Only shop there maybe once a year. Don't like the feel. Maybe it's the whole Hollywood thing. Fatbeats is too close for me to go anywhere else, really. and a few used spots.

• I dunno about squirrelly bald dude, sounds like typical record clerk douchebag to me. My only bad vibes experience at Amoeba was a couple months ago.

I was doin my thing, picked out my stuff and began a mental tally of the damage when suddenly I remembered I had store credit that I never used. See, I played drums for a Gary Wilson in-store they did last year and dude that was in charge of that was so thrilled with the get-down, he offered each of us $40.00 store credit. I was busy puttin the gear back in the van for the next show later that evening, but dude said, no worries, lemme know next time your in the store and I'll hook it up. Cool...

So this was that "next time I was in the store" and casually proceeded to claim my credit. Dude looked at me with total confusion when I said 40 bucks. "Hey bro, that's what you said. Besides, whadda you care, you just work here." Guess this really didn't strike him as all that cool, but I gave him the certified ice grill technique and homeboy sheepishly handed it over. Then came up with some ham-handed segue bullshit about having to go say hi to someone to avoid idle chit chat. Uhhh dude, we're done here. you gave me the credit. So I say "Whatever, man, go say hi to someone then." Too bad he couldn't enthrall me with his insights for a minute. What's wrong with these fucks? Do they think because they're on the payroll that they somehow have a stake in the business? I dunno, but the day some hipster moron in an oversized Iron Maiden t-shirt and fedora hat combo gets one over on yours truly, I'll gladly chop my dick off & nail it to a burning building. Idiots.... or should I say idoits?

Having said that, everyone else I've dealt with at the store has been cool.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I dunno, but the day some hipster moron in an oversized Iron Maiden t-shirt and fedora hat combo gets one over on yours truly, I'll gladly chop my dick off & nail it to a burning building.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I used to hit up the Berkeley one which was nice.

last time i went there, they had quality stuff in the new-arrivals for really reasonable prices (the clash, art ensemble of chicago); not to mention a dope Skeewiff 12" for 2bucks in the electronica pile, Rza- Cakes (promo 12") among other things. I have good memories in that store!!

I don't know about yall but I get exhausted going through the LA store...and i don't come out with much usually.

• I used to hit up the Berkeley one which was nice.

last time i went there, they had quality stuff in the new-arrivals for really reasonable prices (the clash, art ensemble of chicago); not to mention a dope Skeewiff 12" for 2bucks in the electronica pile, Rza- Cakes (promo 12") among other things. I have good memories in that store!!

I don't know about yall but I get exhausted going through the LA store...and i don't come out with much usually.

Agreed.

Pretty good for fill-ins to the colleckshawn and reissues, comps. 45's selection is awful. Reggae section is fire. Soul section is ok. Rock vinyl could use some work but pretty bangin nonetheless. I usually have to shop for a while and don't leave with all that much either. Prices can be a bit much at times. Whatever, it is what it is. Obviously not a dig spot. So in terms of plain ole rekkid shop, def top shelf operation.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I wish Gramaphone had a fuckin store here, I'd live there.

not that it helps you in anyway but gramaphone just moved from their OG location recently

I wish Gramaphone had a fuckin store here, I'd live there.

not that it helps you in anyway but gramaphone just moved from their OG location recently

to a bigger location I hope...I mean that location is a fuckin city landmark but MAN was it cramped.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I've been to Berkeley Ameoba & LA one. They frighten me - the LA one moreso. Record shops should not be so big & so clean (AYO!) They should be little & dirty. You should know the owner, and he should have many esoteric rules - and by knowing them better than newer customers, you should feel special. You should be able to hold up a water damaged copy of something & say, "yeah, this is from the time the store flooded that one winter & I had this on hold."

That said, I trade with a soulstrut brother & he often sends me radd stuff with Amoeba tags that read $3.99 & I'm like damn!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Having only had the pleasure of visiting these stores a couple times, I'm pretty jealous over here that you guys have this resource - a supermarket of music if you will... out here there are whole spans of time when you get absolutely depressed picking over the same old crap

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I used to hit up the Berkeley one which was nice.

Man last time I was in amoeba in LA, this lady was chanign her kids poopy diapers on the floor in the jazz section. Feces was everywhere. The mom's sster or soemthing was passed out on the floor next to her. Kind of remined me of pic n' save. I usually say fuck amoeba and go to arons. Then to Benitos. Then home to poo. Then I bring it back to amoeba and smear it on the used Cilfford brown records.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Having only had the pleasure of visiting these stores a couple times, I'm pretty jealous over here that you guys have this resource - a supermarket of music if you will... out here there are whole spans of time when you get absolutely depressed picking over the same old crap

Seconded.

Every time I go to NYC or the bay area I drop a few hundred bucks within a few blocks.

LA Amoeba is like a giant monument to everything I love/hate about LA. A place that size that attracts that many white guys with those little chin beards is a bad idea, if you ask me...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    gotta wear shades in there because it's so white.

just remembered that a considerable ammount of soulstrut folks I've met have those little chin-beards. I don't mean any of you. You guys wear them well. It's those other guys with little chin-beards, ya know? I mean, who do they think they are?

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Wow.
    When I saw the title of the thread I thought the dude must have really done some shit to be desrving of "eat a dick". Then I read all the posts and realized that I agree more with the "squirrely bald dude" than most of the folks hating on him. I saw only 2 or 3 opposing viewpoints and I am adding to the tally. So hate me.

I wonder how many of the haters have ever been on the other side of the counter?

I have a feeling a high percentage of the haters have no clue what it's like to work at a record store. Trust me it's not really like Hi Fidelity.

Love,
    pretentious, indie rock/hip-hop, converse wearing, backpackin', John Cusack loving, bad ass.
    Al

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Wow.
    When I saw the title of the thread I thought the dude must have really done some shit to be desrving of "eat a dick". Then I read all the posts and realized that I agree more with the "squirrely bald dude" than most of the folks hating on him. I saw only 2 or 3 opposing viewpoints and I am adding to the tally. So hate me.

I wonder how many of the haters have ever been on the other side of the counter?

I have a feeling a high percentage of the haters have no clue what it's like to work at a record store. Trust me it's not really like Hi Fidelity.

Love,
    pretentious, indie rock/hip-hop, converse wearing, backpackin', John Cusack loving, bad ass.
    Al

I worked in a record store and I didn't act dick to customers. I didn't talk down to them or make them feel like they were wasting my time. The store I worked at was hands down the busiest store in Portland, and it wasn't one of those jobs where employees sit around waiting for something to do. We were constantly working. Guess what? It wasn't that fucking hard. I've had to deal with obnoxious people in every job I've worked at. That's not something exclusive to record stores. This "Boo hoo, poor record store clerks," shit doesn't fly. Dude's an asshole because he has poor social skills. End of story.

Wow.

Love,
    Al

well then you can eat a dick too if you think you're gonna sell me some faulty shit and then act like a dick when I ask nicely about buying it back...fuckers. I aint even raise a stink or give dude attitude, that's some BULLSHIT ass customer service. I can see if I just didn't like the record or whatever but it was pressed with the WRONG FUCKING SONG and then dude's gonna use that against me??? oh hell no...

take his side all you want but that shit's gonna earn you nothing but enemies.

well then you can eat a dick too if you think you're gonna blah blah blah blah blah blah

I love this. Sorry I don't totally agree with you. If it makes you feel better I don't totally agree with him either. Geez.

You make him sound like a real dick and maybe he is I don't even know dude or how he gets down in the cypher with Guzzman. I agree the buyback thing was extreme on his part, but I'm just saying dude policy is policy. I suppose he could have bent over backwards for you since you (admittedly) lagged on returning it. In fact maybe they could do that for everyone else too. I'm just saying you kinda gave dude upper hand and I bet if you had returned it within the given time he wouldn't have been able to say shit even if he really wanted too.

Will you still be my friend?

I love you.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    how he gets down in the cypher with Guzzman

nah that's the Jazz section dude, different peoples

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I suppose he could have bent over backwards for you since you (admittedly) lagged on returning it.

Accepting a return on a mislabelled product is "bending over backwards"? I don't think so.

Sounds more he like was asking Daze to "bend over forwards."

For the record (no pun), I like the vast majority of the employees at Amoeba SF. 'Cept for that one buyback dude.

ok you win. That sucks. I suck. Sorry.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    You should be able to hold up a water damaged copy of something & say, "yeah, this is from the time the store flooded that one winter & I had this on hold.

I used to work in that shop, no shit. We opened the store to a foot of water on the floor. Spent the whole day throwing out water damaged records, which I picked through. I have many a water logged raer, still plays fine.....and I wasn't an asshole for no reason. I understand the importance of good costomer service. It's a record shop, not the club.

well then you can eat a dick too if you think you're gonna blah blah blah blah blah blah

I love this. Sorry I don't totally agree with you. If it makes you feel better I don't totally agree with him either. Geez.

You make him sound like a real dick and maybe he is I don't even know dude or how he gets down in the cypher with Guzzman. I agree the buyback thing was extreme on his part, but I'm just saying dude policy is policy[/b]. I suppose he could have bent over backwards for you since you (admittedly) lagged on returning it. In fact maybe they could do that for everyone else too. I'm just saying you kinda gave dude upper hand and I bet if you had returned it within the given time he wouldn't have been able to say shit even if he really wanted too.

Will you still be my friend?

I love you.

well then maybe you should go back and read the part where he explained the policy and i politely said "oh I didn't even read the receipt, that's cool...what about a buyback?"

I didn't even argue. I was cool about the policy thing...I understand policy...thanks for the definition, what is it again? oh yeah it's policy. duh.