please to recommend stereo receivers/equipment

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
my 50-disc mini stereo system has served me well since high school but i think it's time for an upgrade. right now all i need is a receiver because my house is hooked up with a bose speaker system, but i don't know shit about receivers or stereo equipment. a nice midrange unit would suit me fine. what's good out there?

Comments

• Why upgrade?

Dont get me wrong, its a normal thing to want new equipment, but why go new?

Old Solid State equipment is the way to go, It sounds better, its louder, cleaner and so on.

Power hungry?, yes, Heavy?, yes, but well worth the time and effort.

Check this out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-SX-1050-STER...1QQcmdZViewItem

That reciver/amp will have All the ins and outs youll need and then some, PLUS enough power to peel the paint off you house and give your kids permanent orange afros.

Just my 2??

Happy Shoping

Peace for now, Peace for later.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Why upgrade?

Dont get me wrong, its a normal thing to want new equipment, but why go new?

the system i have now is an all-in-one unit, the kind that you find in a lot of college dorms. i just feel like it's not doing my vinyl justice. i guess another reason why i want to upgrade is because we have this bose speaker system wired throughout our entire house so it would be nice to take advantage of that.

by all means, it doesn't have to be new. i'm certainyl willing to buy some old vintage unit off ebay or goodwill....one question i have is how those older units deal with surround sound speaker setups where you might have 6 different speaker cables? doesn't seem like the older models can accomodate, but again, i don't know anything about these things.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    fuck a modern home theater amp, get a Marantz 1050 instead:

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    how many cables /speakers you got? a usual receiver - especially older models - cannot be used with a surround setup. they usually have ports for one or two pairs of stereo speakers

However, I recommend harman kardon ( http://www.harmankardon.com/ ) reliable and excellent quality.

• Depends on your Bose speakers - are they all part of a surround sound set? like maybe a 6.1 set with a subwoofer? If so, you need to get something that supports 6.1 surround, otherwise, you're not taking advantage of the setup. You won't find any surround sound on any old receivers. I would check out Bose's receivers (pretty pricey), or maybe Onkyo, or even panasonic or sony. It shouldn't really matter that much as long as you check out the specs and they work with your speakers. If you buy new and something reputable with a 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 setup, you'll be good for several years I'm sure. I mean, it's not like you're rocking house parties with 200 people or anything......are you? Good luck.

• I bought a reciever about 4 years ago and remember these brands as being better: Onkyo, Denon, Harmon Kardon, and Yamaha. Yamaha seems to be a little less expensive and slightly inferior to the others, but by the sound of it, that may suit your needs.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I have a newish Onkyo and it's been good. even has a phono input so you don't need a preamp to hook up your turntable.