Price Check: Kool and The Gang - S/T

2»

Comments

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Crazy Dennis at American Pie in Santa Barbara sold this to me for ten bucks. This was in '99 or so. Crazy dennis hates 70s stuff tho.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    original pressing without the song "let the music take your mind"
    stein. . .

what's the story? I got mine recently, (it does exist!) and was expecting the music to take my mind. Not there. So, a later pressing has LtMTYM (and sticky residue) on the tracklisting? What's up? "Give it up" is that complete & utter doodoo btw.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    stein. . .

what's the story? I got mine recently, (it does exist!) and was expecting the music to take my mind. Not there. So, a later pressing has LtMTYM (and sticky residue) on the tracklisting? What's up? "Give it up" is that complete & utter doodoo btw.

From the additional notes on the CD reissue:

"'Let the Music Take Your Mind' (#19 R&B, #78 Pop) was not included on the first pressing of the album, but was added after the song hit the charts."

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    it chokes my nuts when i hear people talk about essential records i unexplicably do not own

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

stein. . .

Sticky residue but there's nothing after "Raw Hamburger"

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I dropped a close to a bill @ jump jump for mine, when I was living in Portland (worth every penny)

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    This is after me going there for the last few years and putting up with his BS. He likes me now. I've spent plenty there over the years. I talked him down from $75. I think that was his way of reaching out.

If you talk shit back to him I think that actually makes him respect you.

Dude is an herb and says he's best buddies with Jimmy Castor. Maybe he is.
    Found mine for a buck...later pressing w/ LTMTYM. Not really the greatest funk ever made, some of those tracks are but a bit of a score all the same. Logic says I should sell it but I just can't. That's my problem really.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Found (a copy of the first Kool & the Gang album) for a buck...later pressing w/ LTMTYM. Not really the greatest funk ever made, some of those tracks are but a bit of a score all the same. Logic says I should sell it but I just can't. That's my problem really.

I don't have the first Kool LP, but most of it appears on THE BEST OF KOOL & THE GANG, which only came out a year or two later! I think it's a pretty solid affair, the songs I've heard...a hell of a lot better than LIVE AT P.J.'s, which is mostly boring fake jazz.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Found (a copy of the first Kool & the Gang album) for a buck...later pressing w/ LTMTYM. Not really the greatest funk ever made, some of those tracks are but a bit of a score all the same. Logic says I should sell it but I just can't. That's my problem really.

I don't have the first Kool LP, but most of it appears on THE BEST OF KOOL & THE GANG, which only came out a year or two later! I think it's a pretty solid affair, the songs I've heard...a hell of a lot better than LIVE AT P.J.'s, which is mostly boring fake jazz.

So there's an early "Best Of" that is just pulled from the first 3 LP's?
    Nice.
    Any offbeat 45 tracks?
    I'll be looking for this...

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Nice.
    Any offbeat 45 tracks?
    I'll be looking for this...

i think that first "best of" has the non-album cut "kool it (here comes the fuzz)" which was released as their third 45. i have a copy of that 45 for trade if anyone is interested.

Nice.
    Any offbeat 45 tracks?

Here's the track selection:
    Side 1
    The Penguin
    Let The Music Take Your Mind
    Kool It (Here Comes The Fuzz)
    Pneumonia
    Chocolate Buttermilk
    Who's Gonna Take The Weight

Side 2:
    Kool & the Gang
    Kool's Back Again
    Raw Hamburger
    The Gang's Back Again
    Give It Up
    Funky Man

De-Lite later reissued the hell out of the early Kool LP's, but this premature best-of was the first, with a gold cover.

The regular KatG Greatest Hits is great too. Nice to have "Soul VIbrations" that is not on those 'flat-sounding' reissue wax. I have having a hard time finding a clean original copy of Music Is The Message. And of course you have the great " (More) Funky Stuff", "Jungle Boogie" and "Hollywood Swinging" before Kool's hit songs were something like "Celebrate"

The regular KatG Greatest Hits is great too. Nice to have "Soul VIbrations" that is not on those 'flat-sounding' reissue wax. I have having a hard time finding a clean original copy of Music Is The Message. And of course you have the great " (More) Funky Stuff", "Jungle Boogie" and "Hollywood Swinging" before Kool's hit songs were something like "Celebrate"

When I always say that soul music jumped the shark in '76, Kool & the Gang are usually one of the first artists that come to mind.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    man, i saw a copy for a bill ($100), sitting on the wall of record store. i'd rather drive through north jersey (particuilary Jersey City) looking for an OG copy.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Any difference between the shiny gold cover and the flat gold cover?

Always wondered that.

even $150 for K&TG S/T is a lot wiser than $100 for friggin Blue Mode. Sheesh. Kids these days!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    The collector in me wants this LP, but the DJ in me is perfectly content with the Best Of.

DJ Ferrari

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I don't even like to think about this record.

I remember a sealed one went for way over 2 bills on eBay maybe 6 months ago.

Who has a best of Kool for me?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    The first three K&TG's have shot way up in the past few years. 100 dollars for any of these was crazy once upon a time, it still is kind of crazy. Save your money and get the best of before it becomes a 100 record.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The first three K&TG's have shot way up in the past few years. 100 dollars for any of these was crazy once upon a time, it still is kind of crazy. Save your money and get the best of before it becomes a 100 record.

TRUTH. I said this here about 6 months ago & got worked, son!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

i see live at sex machine very frequently. pjs much less and s/t barely ever.
    whoever said live at pjs is just mediocre jazz needs to learno

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Any difference between the shiny gold cover and the flat gold cover?

Always wondered that.

even $150 for K&TG S/T is a lot wiser than $100 for friggin Blue Mode. Sheesh. Kids these days!

gimme th eloot gimme the loot.
    dont make me come up there brockli

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    The first three K&TG's have shot way up in the past few years. 100 dollars for any of these was crazy once upon a time, it still is kind of crazy. Save your money and get the $10 reissue of S/T[/b]

TRUTH. I said this here about 6 months ago & got worked, son!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    i'm almost certain you could get $200 if it is in flawless condition in shrink and original pressing without the song "let the music take your mind"
    stein. . .

Funny you said that...mine has this tar like substance streaked across that song

Electrode, hate to break it to you, but that isn't an original Japanese press. Lexington was a company that re-issued a lot of stuff in nice hard cardboard covers in the mid-90s. I see that Kool & The Gang, Roy Ayers "He's Coming" and more gems on the reg. on that label.

Just giving you the heads up.

peace.

Dammit....I kinda figured it was too good to be true. Oh well.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Electrode, hate to break it to you, but that isn't an original Japanese press. Lexington was a company that re-issued a lot of stuff in nice hard cardboard covers in the mid-90s. I see that Kool & The Gang, Roy Ayers "He's Coming" and more gems on the reg. on that label.

Mid-90s probably would be an original JAPANESE ish though right?

Its not like the stuff was being released there in 1970.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

Mid-90s probably would be an original JAPANESE ish though right?

Its not like the stuff was being released there in 1970.

Nah hommie, they were releasing this stuff back then, I got James Brown stuff, my AFREAKA Demon Fuzz was pressed in the 70s, lots of ish.

Lexington is a reissue company, they reissue stuff like the show & ag 12"s, diamond d 12"s and other rare soul stuff, etc. -- stricly in demand stuff for the Japanese market. New they are pricey ($30 US a pop)... but they turn up frequently 2nd hand...

peace.

• idemidem 98 Posts
    here's a story ,, i bought a copy of that back in 93 for $100 ... yep i'm in australia remember and then sold before i went to the u.s. in 97 ,, i got another there only a vg copy then for $5 ,,, sold it to early eminem/d12 producer ED for $70 .... got my mint copy that i sold in 97 back in 2000 for the same price i sold it for .... oh its good to have friends !!!!! i have it now and its always been my favorites lps of all time .. look out !!!!!