Toronto record spots

BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I just moved to the city and I was wondering if anyone knew some good shops downtown? I'm looking for places with lots of dollar bins or thrift shops.I've been here about a week and the only place I know of is play de record on yonge.

Comments

• slinky's on queen w
    kops on queen w check upstairs too
    cosmos x 2 on queen w
    acid records on queen w
    neurotica on queen w
    rotate this on queen w

discovery records on queen e
    in the groove on queen e ask to see the back room

play de vintage on yonge

a few...

• slinky's on queen w
    kops on queen w check upstairs too
    cosmos x 2 on queen w
    acid records on queen w
    neurotica on queen w
    rotate this on queen w

discovery records on queen e
    in the groove on queen e ask to see the back room

play de vintage on yonge

a few...

thanks a lot man this is awesome. It looks like I'll have to take a walk down queen st real soon.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    goodwill

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    I just moved to the city and I was wondering if anyone knew some good shops downtown? I'm looking for places with lots of dollar bins or thrift shops.

I've been here about a week and the only place I know of is play de record on yonge.

Goodwill, Salvation Army and Value Village are always great locations. Send me a message if you are looking for something specific and I can help you out with some excellent places off the beaten path (outside of downtown T.O.).

• Goodwill, Salvation Army and Value Village are always great locations. Send me a message if you are looking for something specific and I can help you out with some excellent places off the beaten path (outside of downtown T.O.).

Hey guys, what's this digging thing about? Man, all the cool kids are doing it, it seems... man, even my friend Pete, who walks with a busted leg is getting down. Maybe one day I too will become a Goodwill Hunting King... [sigh]

• The spots listed already are a solid place to start.

I'd also really recommend Criminal Records on the south side of Queen, near Spadina. They don't have much in terms of dollar bin joints, but their new LP prices are often $2-$5 cheaper than the next best place in town (usually Rotate This). If you're looking for some more common LPs that are being released or reissued, this is the place to check first. I picked up a new copy of Paul's Boutique for like $13.99 or something. Definitely not deep crates, but cheap prices for sure.

• what is the current word on that (not cheap) place on Baldwin? i recall good finds there years back but not a bargain. quality stuff though. forgot the name. cool little shop.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    around again?

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    I second Play De Record Vintage, that's my favourite store in the city by far.

Also, if you're looking for punk rock vinyl you should definitely go to Noise Annoys on Queen (and Spadina). Highly recommended.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    ric's collectibles on main st
    century on kingston rd
    pandemonium on dundas
    lost and found on bathurst
    babel on ossington
    she said boom - one on roncesvalles, another on college

these don't all have amazing dollar bins, but some have pretty good sales now and then. definitely check ric's boxing day/week

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    and if you get tired of overpriced records at other stores...

you can PM me to come check my basement of records....not dollar bin but not necessarily expensive.

Werd....

• -

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    what is the current word on that (not cheap) place on Baldwin? i recall good finds there years back but not a bargain. quality stuff though. forgot the name. cool little shop.

Oh god, I hate the woman who runs this store. I haven't been in there in years.

lol - you and about a hundred others. they used to have the best 'new arrivals' section but there's been more and more re-issues in there for the past year or two. still, i did get an og Young Mod's Forgotten Story for $10 there just because it wasn't in pristine condition. i found her and her husband thawed out after a few awkward conversations. attempt at own risk!!

• what is the current word on that (not cheap) place on Baldwin? i recall good finds there years back but not a bargain. quality stuff though. forgot the name. cool little shop.

Oh god, I hate the woman who runs this store. I haven't been in there in years.

i found her and her husband thawed out after a few awkward conversations. attempt at own risk!!

i guess the woman wasnt in the picture back when i was there, i just remember a mild mannered dude, tad on the anal side but not a dick or anything.