Jay-Z Hot 97 Freestyle

dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Inspired by Basquiat my Chariot's on FireEverybody took shots, hit my body up I'm tiredBuild me up break me down and build me up againThey like Hov we need you back so we can kill your ass againHov got flow though he's no Big n' Pac but he's closeHow I 'pose to be when they got me fighting ghosts?Same sword they knight you they gon'goodnight you withAnd that's only half if they like youThat ain't even a half what they might doDon't believe me you can ask MichaelSee Martin see MalcolmYou see Biggie see Pac see success and its outcomeSee Jesus see Judas See Caesar see Brutus success is kinda like a suicideSuicide it's a SuicideIf you succeed prepare to be crucifiedMedia medals, they can sue you, you settleEvery step you take they remind you you're ghettoSo it's tough being Bobby BrownTo be Bobby then you gotta be Bobby nowSo the question is, is to have had and lostBetter than to not had at...manEverybody wanna be the King the shots ringYou lying in the balcony with holes in your dreamOr you Malcolm X'd out get distracted by the screams"Everybody get your hand out my jeans"Everybody look at you strange, say you changedLike you worked that hard to stay the sameGame stayed the same the name changedSo it's best for those to not overdose on being famousMost kings get driven so insaneThat they try to hit the same vein that Kurt Cobain did...Everyboy screamin they wonder "Oh Hova"The new improved Hov hit like Albert PujolesEverybody wanna hear me talk that moneyLike Phil Rizzuto but my mind's on PlutoThe bills that I do fold I now investSo I'm trying to find some loopholes in the IRSLike where I used to have a few ho's now I'm justConcentrating on making a new Hov get sexedI've awaked Just to try to school those PutosTryin to follow in my shoes with juice pro'sBetter adhere to this text before you go brokeSpendin more than you've accrued on silly baguettesI know silly begets silly you're learnin your ownAt least my concience is clear I'm no longer steering you wrong...Please may these words be recordedTo serve as testimony that I saw it all before itCame to fruition sort of a premonitionUncontrollable hustler's ambitionAlias superstion like StevieThe writing's on the wall like my lady, right Be-be?Saw it all before some of y'all thought I was crazyMaybeLike a fox, I'm kay geeThe more sucessfull, the more stressfullThe more and more I transform, the Gordon GeckoIn the race to a billion got my face to the ceilingGot my knees on the floor please Lord forgive himHas he lost his religion, is the greed gonna get him?He's having heaven on earth, will his wings still fit him?...

Comments

• Yeah, that shit was incredible. As he says, the jump shot is still cash money. The king until someone dethrones.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i posted this terd a few days ago but it got
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post747476

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    namedropping more than the game

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Is he going to bring about Grown Ass Man Rap?

• Is he going to bring about Grown Ass Man Rap?

Lord No's it would be nice if someone would. Some of us grown ups (old people, if it makes you happy to call us that instead) actually do still like rap, believe it or not. I wonder what dumb people like faux rillz think about this.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Yeah, that shit was incredible. As he says, the jump shot is still cash money. The king until someone dethrones.

cot damn

Is he going to bring about Grown Ass Man Rap?

Lord No's it would be nice if someone would. Some of us grown ups (old people, if it makes you happy to call us that instead) actually do still like rap, believe it or not. I wonder what dumb people like faux rillz think about this.
    I talkin to my peeps about this. Seasoned R&B cats can continue to tour and make albums that the younger/radio set dont pay attention to. Grown N Flexy Rap could sustain a large group of cats who are past trying to pleez the TRL set.

Cats like Masta Ase/Kane/Kool Keith/Ice Cube/30+ cats are still doin it. As long as their material is'nt made so a baby can pick up and join right with them. Sayin - Jazz cats can still make cds and have support groups
    And I know theres a handful of "OLD CAT" shows being done.

• Is he going to bring about Grown Ass Man Rap?

I talkin to my peeps about this. Seasoned R&B cats can continue to tour and make albums that the younger/radio set dont pay attention to. Grown N Flexy Rap could sustain a large group of cats who are past trying to pleez the TRL set.

Cats like Masta Ase/Kane/Kool Keith/Ice Cube/30+ cats are still doin it. As long as their material is made so a baby can pick up and join right with them. Sayin - Jazz cats can still make cds and have a support group.
    And I know theres a handful of "OLD CAT" shows being done.
    The market is there, no doubt about it. Of course it's not gonna be as big as the pop (young youth) rap market, but there is a void there that's not being filled. I am ALWAYS hearing from older folks who grew up on rap who can't stand the new stuff, so they just listen to old school rap or other kinds of music. I think if you had some radio stations that catered to a more mature audience and played a steady diet of new grown folks rap / old classic hip hop you could have something. That's IF there's even any money to be made in the music biz at all any more, which there really may not be.

I think if you had some radio stations that catered to a more mature audience and played a steady diet of new grown folks rap

Maybe just a weekly 3 hour set of just Grown N Flexy stuff. The Old School stuff tends to have the usual suspects, unless were talkin on stuff from 85 and back.

• I think if you had some radio stations that catered to a more mature audience and played a steady diet of new grown folks rap

Maybe just a weekly 3 hour set of just Grown N Flexy stuff. The Old School stuff tends to have the usual suspects, unless were talkin on stuff from 85 and back.

I'm talking about anything from say 1995 on back.... there were a LOT of songs from that period that can be played. It would be no different than the adult R&B stations that you have now... they play current adult oriented stuff plus they play classics from yesterday (that's how they do it here in Philly, anyway). During the 12 noon hour, rush hour and late night they can do mixes of some of the more obscure stuff, but for the most part we're talking about classics that most people remember (we old timers NEVER get tired of that schitt) plus new grown up rap tunes that would be in heavy rotation. You may have to throw in some R&B that fits the format, too... whatever you have to do to keep advertisers happy. This could work, I'm telling you!

Now I just gotta come up with a way to make an ALL RANDOM RAP, ALL THE TIME station happen, and my life's work will be complete

I think if you had some radio stations that catered to a more mature audience and played a steady diet of new grown folks rap

I'm talking about anything from say 1995 on back.... there were a LOT of songs from that period that can be played. It would be no different than the adult R&B stations that you have now... they play current adult oriented stuff plus they play classics from yesterday (that's how they do it here in Philly, anyway). During the 12 noon hour, rush hour and late night they can do mixes of some of the more obscure stuff, but for the most part we're talking about classics that most people remember (we old timers NEVER get tired of that schitt) plus new grown up rap tunes that would be in heavy rotation. You may have to throw in some R&B that fits the format, too... whatever you have to do to keep advertisers happy. This could work, I'm telling you!

I with u, but they have to really play current albums from cats past their "prime" and focus on what these dude are now sayin. I never got to hear any cuts from the last Rev Run album. Wack or not I'm sure he had one joint that could be played.

And when it comes to pre 95 stuff I just dont want it to be Biggie/2pac & them so much. U know the usual suspects when cats do "old scool". It so tired sometimes. I want some SuperLover C & Casanova Rud. More second tier AllStars pleez.

• I think if you had some radio stations that catered to a more mature audience and played a steady diet of new grown folks rap

I with u, but they have to really play current albums from cats past their "prime" and focus on what these dude are now sayin. I never got to hear any cuts from the last Rev Run album. Wack or not I'm sure he had one joint that could be played.

And when it comes to pre 95 stuff I just dont want it to be Biggie/2pac & them so much. U know the usual suspects when cats do "old scool". It so tired sometimes. I want some SuperLover C & Casanova Rud. More second tier AllStars pleez.

I'm 100 witchu on that... unfortunately if this would be in any way possible to really do I think you'd have to have a good amount of that same ol' schitt, plus some stuff like JJ Fad "Supersonic", etc... some poppish old school schitt to make the advertisers see the vision. Mix in some Superlover C-level schitt for sure, it just couldn't be that type of stuff all day. You gotta have some 2Pac "Dear Mama", Naughty By Nature "Hip Hop Hooray", Biggie "One More Chance" and Warren G "Regulate" on a regular basis.
    Eventually the plan would be to phase out a lot of the old and play more of the new, as the record labels begin to see that there is a market for grown ass man rap and start to put out more records that would fit the format.
    BATMON, we need to type this thread up and officially present it to Clear Channel. We puttin' in too much work thinking this schitt up not to get paid off of it.

BATMON, we need to type this thread up and officially present it to Clear Channel. We puttin' in too much work thinking this schitt up not to get paid off of it.

• Jay should've "released" this as a MySpace blog or something. It sounds horrible.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Old People Rap vs. Dumb People Rap: the lines have been drawn

• Lord No's it would be nice if someone would. Some of us grown ups (old people, if it makes you happy to call us that instead) actually do still like rap, believe it or not. I wonder what dumb people like faux rillz think about this.

No, but I'm serious this time, faux... what will people like you (people who are one step away from officially being old) do once you can no longer deny that you are, in fact, no longer young? Just stop listening to rap altogether or continue, as you age well into your thirties, to follow the lead of children over a decade your junior and listen to THEIR music? This is a reality that you and your confused kind are going to have to deal with very shortly, faux. I mean, really, it's something that should've already been dealt with- the kids in the skreets who decide what's popular today certainly are going to look at anybody who's anywhere near 30 as being an old person. I know this is a difficult reality for you to wrap your mind around, faux, but I truly think that you need to start coming to grips with it now. My ideas for WGPR 101 (The Grown Peoples Rap Station) should be something that you'd embrace. It's either that, listening to smooth jazz for the rest of your life, or continuing to stay so connected to what's hot with the pre-teens as you count your liver spots. The latter option really is , faux... you're dumb, but you're not THAT dumb that you can't see that. Actually, you probably are that dumb. But for once in your sadly misdirected life I hope you'd acknowledge my superior wisdom and life experience... it's for your own good, faux. I honestly want to help you

No, but I'm serious this time, faux... what will people like you (people who are one step away from officially being old) do once you can no longer deny that you are, in fact, no longer young? Just stop listening to rap altogether or continue, as you age well into your thirties, to follow the lead of children over a decade your junior and listen to THEIR music? This is a reality that you and your confused kind are going to have to deal with very shortly, faux. I mean, really, it's something that should've already been dealt with- the kids in the skreets who decide what's popular today certainly are going to look at anybody who's anywhere near 30 as being an old person. I know this is a difficult reality for you to wrap your mind around, faux, but I truly think that you need to start coming to grips with it now. My ideas for WGPR 101 (The Grown Peoples Rap Station) should be something that you'd embrace. It's either that, listening to smooth jazz for the rest of your life, or continuing to stay so connected to what's hot with the pre-teens as you count your liver spots. The latter option really is , faux... you're dumb, but you're not THAT dumb that you can't see that. Actually, you probably are that dumb. But for once in your sadly misdirected life I hope you'd acknowledge my superior wisdom and life experience... it's for your own good, faux. I honestly want to help you

I'm long past that point, Phill--I'm a thirty year old corporate attorney--and I'm completely unconflicted.

Rap music as a whole is made by and for people much younger than me. That's the nature of the medium and the way it's always been. I consider myself fortunate that I am still able to appreciate it, but I don't fool myself into thinking that artists should cater to me.

I think this addresses what you're getting at, anyway--I'm not going to lie like I read your whole post.

• I'm long past that point, Phill--I'm a thirty year old corporate attorney--and I'm completely unconflicted.

Rap music as a whole is made by and for people much younger than me. That's the nature of the medium and the way it's always been. I consider myself fortunate that I am still able to appreciate it, but I don't fool myself into thinking that artists should cater to me.

No, faux... this is obviously incorrect. Perhaps rap music once was made by people much younger than you, but you know as well as I do that this is no longer the case. Rap has grown older as a genre, as have the people who listen to it, the people who make it, play it, etc. My whole point is that people like yourself who really are not very intelligent should not ignore all of the old people (such as yourself) who are still able to appreciate it. Look at all the thirty-plus people right here on SS who also still appreciate it. It is my contention that it's a better look for us old folks to have rap music that we can relate to easier than it is for us to follow the lead of children and listen to music that is made for them. You tell me, what do you see yourself listening to in, say, 5 years, faux? Will you still be on soulstrut clowning "old man rap" as you listen to the 2011 equivalent of snap music (lord only knows what THAT will sound like)? Or will you have moved on to listening to classical music as you sip Pomerol with your fellow paralegals and laugh about your foolish days as a young youth listening to hip hop? I'm just curious, faux... what do you see your future being as far as music goes?

I think this addresses what you're getting at, anyway--I'm not going to lie like I read your whole post.

As many mistakes as you are guilty of, faux, not reading all of my posts in their entirety is the WORST error you could possible make.

Will you still be on soulstrut clowning "old man rap" as you listen to the 2011 equivalent of snap music (lord only knows what THAT will sound like)?

This sounds like the most likely scenario, although I hope I won't still be wasting time on SoulStrut at that point.

• Will you still be on soulstrut clowning "old man rap" as you listen to the 2011 equivalent of snap music (lord only knows what THAT will sound like)?

This sounds like the most likely scenario, although I hope I won't still be wasting time on SoulStrut at that point.

If you, as a 35 year old, will still be clowning old man rap as you listen to the 2011 equivalent of snap music then GUARANTEED you will still be wasting your time on SoulStrut.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Now I just gotta come up with a way to make an ALL RANDOM RAP, ALL THE TIME station happen, and my life's work will be complete

Will you still be on soulstrut clowning "old man rap" as you listen to the 2011 equivalent of snap music (lord only knows what THAT will sound like)?

If you, as a 35 year old, will still be clowning old man rap as you listen to the 2011 equivalent of snap music then GUARANTEED you will still be wasting your time on SoulStrut.

Hopefully I will not be exposed to any old man rap (a/k/a real schitt) at that point, as SoulStrut is really the only place I ever encounter people that listen to it.

• Will you still be on soulstrut clowning "old man rap" as you listen to the 2011 equivalent of snap music (lord only knows what THAT will sound like)?

Hopefully I will not be exposed to any old man rap (a/k/a real schitt) at that point, as SoulStrut is really the only place I ever encounter people that listen to it.

We exist, faux, believe it or not... we are people who have our own minds and are not afraid to like whatever we want to like (especially if we feel it is technically better) whether or not the general public (aka the people who made Hammer and Vanilla Ice megastars years ago and made "Laffy Taffy" and "Chicken Noodle Soup" big hits today) agrees with this sentiment or not.
    And by the way, old man rap is not necessarily the same as THAT REAL SCHITT. You really should have a better understanding of these terms by now, faux. I have to keep reminding myself how remedial you really are, regardless of your impressive paralegal credentials.

• I have to keep reminding myself how remedial you really are, regardless of your impressive paralegal credentials.[/b]

faux_rillz
    Hatter

Reged: 11/01/03
    Loc: my private mind throne

I've always wondered - and this is not directed solely at Fake-Realz - HOW IN THE #&%$ YOU GUYS GET ANY WORK DONE WITH POST COUNTS LIKE THESE?!?!

Herm

• I have to keep reminding myself how remedial you really are, regardless of your impressive paralegal credentials.[/b]

faux_rillz
    Hatter

Reged: 11/01/03
    Loc: my private mind throne

I've always wondered - and this is not directed solely at Fake-Realz - HOW IN THE #&%$ YOU GUYS GET ANY WORK DONE WITH POST COUNTS LIKE THESE?!?!

Herm

Ghostposters!!!

• BigBBigB 30 Posts
    Perhaps rap music once was made by people much younger than you, but you know as well as I do that this is no longer the case. Rap has grown older as a genre, as have the people who listen to it, the people who make it, play it, etc.

[/lurk]Phill Most is & has been

after this I'll go back to reading SS for it's pure entertainment value and internet beefs...

If nursery rhyme choruses and "street" raps that sound like they're in the present tense even though the rapper has left the streets years ago and is private jet flying, gated community living, ad nauseum --- if that stuff appeals then radio is beautiful in most of the USofA

who gives a real schitt about "authenticity" anymore in 2006? .. radio is the last place to find that.

"authenticity" has been taking a dump on honesty in music for too long.

to some there's a very narrow view on this "authenticity" that has resulted in playing to the streets in order to appeal to the suburban American Idol contingent.. this is simply

why has this happened... we live in a culture/society that values commerce and materialism above all else, so why not cut to the chase and make that the only subject worth orienting your "art" around? It'll always be there, but let's round the picture out a bit..

but don't listen to me, Yung Joc's on one of the radio stations right now I'm sure... and best believe it's been going down.. radio, that is.

-Mr. Me Too Constipated Real Schitter[lurk]