Obama running?

ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/22/obama.presidency/index.htmlI'd punch a ballot for that ass. But does he have a shot? The dems don't really seem to have a plan, or even some hopefuls.

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    The Dems should forget about the Executive branch at this point and go ahead and hand that shit to McCain. Focus on taking over the House (done) and the Senate (in progress) because the country works better when there are real checks and balances.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    def not getting passed the primaries... a little birdie told me its strat to get nationwide exposure (insider info ), which i think is a terrible idea.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    That doesnt make sense, he's already extremely well known nationally.

Btw what was on your pitcher's hands last night?

• the gambler is a cheat.

The NYtimes said today that while the republicans are currently sort of endorsing obama, they are really snickering, because the strategists are pretty sure he could be wiped off the map with little problem. I dont see this however. There was another op-ed piece today telling Obama to stay in the senate and hone his oratorial skills or something. Bullshit, Id vote for him.

Our biggoted country will never be ready for a multi racial, well spoken, thoughtful and intelligent man as president. He's just gotta run and say fuck it, you need me. Cause the time is now or really was five years ago.

• The Dems should forget about the Executive branch at this point and go ahead and hand that shit to McCain.

the next president is going to be a mormon (not an endorsemnet but a hunch), can someone explain why everyones panties are wet over obama? i have nothing against him, just curious. other than him being black what makes him better than any other viable dem canidate, i have never heard him talk about policy, its usually about bringing people together and some god shit. someone said on one of the bullshit politcal shows this weekend that obamas life story is very inspirational, what was rough about his life? i looked into it a little bit but all i saw was that he was born in hawaii went to harvard but no real struggle stuff, what am I missing?
    does anyone like evan bayh?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    That doesnt make sense, he's already extremely well known nationally.

not to middle america outside of chicago and to those who watched the DNC rally '04. youd be surprised at how little people read the news for things besides baseball.

Btw what was on your pitcher's hands last night?

definitly although ive been reading alot about how the gambler has developed a rare skin disease that requires a brownish Rx hand applicant. its cheaper over the counter form just happens to be pine tar.

• The NYtimes said today that while the republicans are currently sort of endorsing obama, they are really snickering, because the strategists are pretty sure he could be wiped off the map with little problem. I dont see this however. There was another op-ed piece today telling Obama to stay in the senate and hone his oratorial skills or something. Bullshit, Id vote for him.

Our biggoted country will never be ready for a multi racial, well spoken, thoughtful and intelligent man as president. He's just gotta run and say fuck it, you need me. Cause the time is now or really was five years ago.

Yeah, I agree. His biggest weaknesses are race and youth. I'm saying I'd vote for him, but Kerry got called out because he's from massachusetts for chrissake.

On the plus side, he actually IS different than the spineless weiners that pass as politicians. I don't think he'd sway and he's charismatic. I can only hope this will be a tipping point in the country. Just like JFK was such an obvious choice despite religion and youth.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    why everyones panties are wet over obama

Part 1

• definitly although ive been reading alot about how the gambler has developed a rare skin disease that requires a brownish Rx hand applicant. its cheaper over the counter form just happens to be pine tar.

Maybe he just has some dandruff.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Maybe he just has some dandruff.

taken from here

Rogers was ordered to wash his hand after the first inning, and the matter dissolved after that. Umpire supervisor Steve Palermo said Rogers was not ejected because it was determined that the dirt mark was not deliberately created.

They decided the substance was mud, not pine tar, unwittingly left on Rogers' hand from rubbing up the ball.

no more hijacking.... id definitly vote for obama, albeit to sate my anger that powell refuses to

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    it was determined that the dirt mark was not deliberately created.

They decided the substance was mud, not pine tar, unwittingly left on Rogers' hand from rubbing up the ball.

They should really clean up that pine tar slick outside the bullpen. Wouldn't want any other pitchers to unwittingly get some grease on their hand.

On Obama: dude speaks well and from the heart. He has a lot of great ideas. The Republicans will do their best to paint him as a far left-leaning one-dimensional candidate, but he is too smart for that. I think he will run for president. Hillary and Co. will try to get him as the VP candidate, but the country will embrace Barrack more than Hillary. I think Barrack can handle anything they throw at him.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    can someone explain why everyones panties are wet over obama? i have nothing against him, just curious. other than him being black what makes him better than any other viable dem canidate, i have never heard him talk about policy, its usually about bringing people together and some god shit. someone said on one of the bullshit politcal shows this weekend that obamas life story is very inspirational, what was rough about his life? i looked into it a little bit but all i saw was that he was born in hawaii went to harvard but no real struggle stuff, what am I missing?

I got to concur with this, what exactly about Obama is all that amazng. I heard his speech at the 2004 DNC and just relistened to it and although it was uplifting it really didn't sound any different that a typical political blah blah blah.

Does this dude have a revolutionary platform? What has he done for the state of Illinois thats so great? and does anyone think that a man with a name like Barak Obama is really going to muster nationwide support as its commander in chief?

Hell we haven't even had a woman win the DNC and they are 50% of the population, you're telling me you think a 1/2 Kenyan 1/2 kansas mulatto kid with a funny name is really a presidential hopeful?

Other than the soulstrut vote who else is really going to support this man into the oval office?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    PS - his middle name is Hussein

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Let me just ask: how many people would have thought in 1990 or 1998 that Bill Clinton or George W. Bush would have been viable TWO TERM presidents? I think prognosticating this shit two years out is pretty silly political theater on all sides - ultimately, what voters go for is not around policy so much as character and there's a LOT that can happen in two years that COULD change perception around pratically any candidate that might be in the running.

I'm not suggesting it's a wide open playing field. Kerry's never coming back (even if he doesn't realize it) and I don't think Edwards, right now, is in a great position.

I think Obama really impresses people on the left but as others have noted 1) he's Black and that's going to create problems for (racist) voters just as a woman running (Hilary or otherwise) would create problems for (sexist) voters that have nothing to do with politics or policies.

I'm more curious to see if Gore is going to try to manuever himself back towards a run. I thikn Obama would make a far more viable VP candidate than president. I don't think Hilary would be willing to accept a VP nom since it seems quite likely that she wants to go for the top spot, god bless her ambitious heart.

• It would be dope to have a person of color in office in 08. If he runs, he's gaurnteed my vote.

But what's funny is that he's recieving so much backlash from Soulstrut, which is mostly caucasion community who bill themselves as left-wing, forward thinking individuals.

If Obama can't win here, how can he reach those middle states?

Prejudice is still crazy prevelent in the US, it's just undercover.

Hell, lets stop bullshitting. In 2008 - The leader of the KKK should run against Obama, he'll probobly win. It's all good, atleast America isn't fronting anymore on how we really feel about people of color.

And to answer Guzzo's question on what Obama has done for us - shit, what has really any President done?

Anyways, feel free to try and rip this statement apart, I really don't care. I wrote this in 30 seconds and really am not trying to get in a keyboard war with anyone.

I just hope you guys will still hook me up when I have mp3 requests.

Peace.

• I don't think the people who care about Obama's origins would necessarily be voting in his column in the first place...

I would like for him to get out there if only to give Hillary fits. Talk about someone who CANNOT win the presidency.

Special Ed,

Dude, you need to fall back a bit here. I don't think people's skepticism around Obama has to do with him being Black. It has to do with the fact that he's a junior senator who has a nice oratorial style but not much experience accumulated yet.

Given the stakes at play for 2008, I think a lot of liberal/left folk are really trying to make sure that they put up the most viable candiate possible (which I think isn't always a great strategy - see Kerry/Edwards '04) and that means that ANYONE being talked about now for an '08 run is going to be heavily scrutinized.

I think intelligent, politically educated people of color would be skeptical about Obama's chances too.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't think the people who care about Obama's origins would necessarily be voting in his column in the first place...

I do--I think a lot of people that might otherwise vote Democratic would either stay home or vote Republican.

Not saying that that's a reason for him not to run, but I do think he should wait until he's had more experience in Washington and I believe that running now would significantly impact his prospects at a later point when he might actually be electable.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    It would be dope to have a person of color in office in 08. If he runs, he's gaurnteed my vote.

But what's funny is that he's recieving so much backlash from Soulstrut, which is mostly caucasion community who bill themselves as left-wing, forward thinking individuals.

I care more about the qualifications of the man running to be commander-in-chief rather than his skin tone.

If you are voting for a black man simply cause he's black than you should have your voting rights taken away.

Prejudice is still crazy prevelent in the US, it's just undercover.

isn't it though?

And to answer Guzzo's question on what Obama has done for us - shit, what has really any President done?

umm, well Bush the younger (along with a republican congress) put us at war, cut taxes for the rich, enabled the patriot act and a ton of other fun stuff.

I haven't done much research but I think a couple other presidents in the past did some things too. I'll look into it and let you know when I find out for sure

Anyways, feel free to try and rip this statement apart, I really don't care. I wrote this in 30 seconds and really am not trying to get in a keyboard war with anyone.

no problem. I'm not attacking you, but rather the thought process used in wanting to vote for a man because of his skin tone and not what they are about.

B/W

if you really think "what does it matter who's in the oval office they haven't done anything for us/ to us anyways then you really don't care about politics or the US and you shouldn't add a comment in a political thread until you do.

I always appreciate these disclaimers... as if it isn't downright disrespectful to willfully contribute half-assed comments to a serious discussion.

• fuck it i think dude should run now, more experience ain't gonna make dude any less black. Plus if he does wait it'll only leave room for future scandal set-ups by the powers that be. then dude won't stand a chance at all.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    He should run now because all his inexperience and youthfulness are more than outweighed by the shittiness of the other candidates.

He's pretty far to the left but comes across as a moderate. Also, i donno that anyone's done it here but how objectionable is the self-defeating "i won't support him because the rest of the country isn't ready for a black president and we'll lose to the republicans"-style argument? Bullllllshit.

• "Obama? Aw naw mayan that sounds too much like Osama, he might be one a them thurr moooslumz with the Al Kate Uh"

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I could see Obama losing some votes due to his name, but not exactly in the way you're suggesting. Anyone who thinks like that probably wouldn't be voting for the Democratic candidate regardless, ya know? More of a subconscious way like how we tend to vote for the taller candidate, associating the name with a "foreign, non-american sounding name" type thing. Could be a minor problem getting rust belt swing voter doesn't-pay-close-attention types.

If you are voting for a black man simply cause he's black than you should have your voting rights taken away.

That's not any more arbitrary than why MANY people vote. Or should we appt. Guzzo the new Democracy Czar?

That way, he can decide who should be afforded the right to vote or not.

I could see Obama losing some votes due to his name, but not exactly in the way you're suggesting. Anyone who thinks like that probably wouldn't be voting for the Democratic candidate regardless, ya know? More of a subconscious way like how we tend to vote for the taller candidate, associating the name with a "foreign, non-american sounding name" type thing. Could be a minor problem getting rust belt swing voter doesn't-pay-close-attention types.

I am astounded by the amount of credit dudes on here give to Democratic voters.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

That's not any more arbitrary than why MANY people vote. Or should we appt. Guzzo the new Democracy Czar?

That way, he can decide who should be afforded the right to vote or not.

as harsh as it sounds I stand behind it. Too many people vote for a person not because of what he stands for but who he is percieved to be.

Not every brother is a brother.

Hasn't it been said that Bush got a lot of the Christian vote because he is a "born-again"?

Not that he follows the rules of being a good christian but, hey, he prays so he's got my vote.

• i think its way too early for anyone here to be endorsing Obama. he could be a great candidate and i might vote for him in the primaries (if he runs), but lets see him make a case for himself before we make one for him.

as for race being a factor...of course it is, but i dont think anyone on this board knows enough about political demographics to claim that a black person could not be elected president. generally, it is said that for a democrat to win, they have to be a southern dem. clinton was the exception (arkansas isn't really the south), but he still had that southern appeal. obama doesn't come close and neither does Hillary. times have changed though. it will be an interesting democratic primary in '08. personally, i really appreciate the balls that Dean, Gore and Kerry have shown this past year. i saw Kerry a few weekends ago on one of the Sunday talk shows and was blown away by how his demeanor has changed. we'll see.

Off topic, but did anyone catch 60 minutes last night?? The piece they had on Darfur was some of the best tv journalism i have ever seen. Props to their reporters who literally risked being killed to make that piece. And if you think you hated Bush before watching last night...wow! 60 minutes interviewed someone in Darfur who made a compelling argument for how Bush has conspired with the Sudanese government to let the genocide continue in Darfur in exchange for their help in fighting terrorism. check youtube for the segment. its a

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Eh, not so much giving Democratic voters credit as having little faith in the general voting populus. I mean, wasn't a small factor in JFK winning was that it was the first time debates were televised? People polled who listened in on the radio felt Nixon was the clear winner, but looks and charisma gave JFK the nod to TV watchers. Obama's biggest (if not only?) assets are his race and general affability at this point.

My good anti-Bush friend who I urged to read up and register did the one thing I cannot stand, re: voting. He just voted in every race despite not knowing who half the candidates were at all. I tend to assume a good chunk of the voting populus is like that on all sides.

but i dont think anyone on this board knows enough about political demographics to claim that a black person could not be elected president.

I have no idea why you would say this.

It's been demonstrated repeatedly that white voters will defect from their party in order to avoid voting for a Black candidate.

This is Sociology 101.

I'm not at all saying that the Dems should deny Obama the nomination on this basis once he matures into a credible candidate, but I can't see a Black Democrat being elected in my lifetime.

If this country ever has a Black president, he (and he will be a man) will be a Republican--someone whom the Republicans find thoroughly acceptable and who can also siphon Black voters away from the Democratic candidate. A Black Democrat will not be able to attract any analogous portion of the Republican base, and I am absolutely certain that a lot of Democratic voters would just stay home if presented with a Black presidential candidate.

Again, I'm not saying that that's any excuse for the Democrats not to do the right thing.