Hot Dogs: Toppings/Regional Styles

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited March 2016 in Off Topic (NRR)

I was reading an article in Gourmet mag about Plattsburg "Michigan"dog. Thay also discussed the Texas Red Hot.Name your favorite toppings, Regional styles, and how u make 'em at home.I'm a NYC saurkraut/Tarragon mustard/ketchup dude.Alternatives - relish, chili, and sirricha hot sauce.Sorry vegans.Just sayin.Do you prefer to toast the bun or str8 out the package. No homo.I dont indulge alot but when the time come I hook a hot dog up.
TAGGED:

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    toasted for both bun and dog

now here in quebec people love the chopped oignons...i agree

however they also love mayonaise in a hotdog

I have a special ingredient that is extremely necessary

Polish Mustard....super spicy and tangy...just amazing..do yourself a favor

i prefer 100% beef if i am going the supermarket route
    if not polish sausage or merguez...sourcroute related

finally the right hotdog should be balaced to be able to be conviently eaten and not spilled all over the place here is an interesting hot dog pic

now back to this paper

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I tried to find a pic online but to no avail

In international hotdog related nastyness...

In peru there is this cheap food option called salchipapa

a cut up sausage ''saut??e' with fries and drenched in mayonaise, hautsauce, mustard and ketchup you eta it with a toothpick I had that once and it burned a whole through my stomach

Secopndly while in China i received a packed lunch from the school we were staying at..all sorts of good ness and one weird item

a wax covered hotdog sausage package like these cheese things

but with a cold hotdog inside...

Like my friend said this has to be the most asseptisized meat ever...

finally here is a pick that came when looking for chinese sausage (AYO!)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Chicago = No Ketchup, Ever.

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts

Although not quite as easy to find up north here, when I'm in LA these dudes are everywhere and well the dogs are "unfuckwithable"

Chop up tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos. (as if making salsa).
    Put to the side. (Mix them up if you wish or leave seperated.).

Wrap bacon around each hot dog and put on the skillet and cook until bacon is done (cook the bacon to your satisfaction)*the bacon usually sticks to the hot dog if not you could use toothpicks to keep together.

At the same time warm up the beans.

Spread mayonaise on the hot dog buns.

Put the bacon wrapped hot dog on the bun, at this point you may put the ketchup and mustard as desired.

Pour about 1 spoonful of beans over the hot dog.

Put the tomato, onion, and jalapeno over the beans and hot dog.

If desired you could saute some sliced onion and put on the top instead of the raw onion.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I have to say that I think that Greys Papaya Dogs are bullshit. I know everybody says these would be the best dogs in NY but than I dont want to eat a shitty one.

I do my hot dogs at home like this.

Bun has to be toasted. Beacuse I have no grill in my kitchen I steam the sausages. Than I take ketchup, mustard and if I got some danish hot dog sauce which is a mixture out of mayonese-ketchup-and-relisch. On top I like to put some roasted onions

If I got them I put some cucumber slices on top.

variations are possible with....

barbecue sauce instead of ketchup

sweet bavarian mustard

tabasco

cheese

sour onions instead of cucumbers

But the dopest thing regarding a hot dog that happened to me could be a little bit but I ate a hot dog pizza.

They call it "Pizza Crazy Dog".

I tryed to copy that at home but its not that easy.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Spread mayonaise on the hot dog buns.

Hold da mayo.

I have to say that I think that Greys Papaya Dogs are bullshit.

Overrated Yes.

One of the things i find delicious is the skin that keep the mixture intact.
    Gray's does have that "snap" to it. Cats do Grey's mostly becuase of the low price.

Nedicks had/has some decent dogs.

I cant mess w/ the chesse in the middle jokers.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Start with some cream cheese on the bun and whatever goes on
    afterward will be just that much better...
    This thread is making me HUNGY!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Really?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

Really?
    yeah i was watching something on tv that said that if your over 10 years old ketchup is

i like a turkey dog with mustard and ketchup

or a regular dog with baked beans and ketchup

the local hot dog joints out here though are onions, chili/meat sauce, and mustard.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    Amsterdam Hot Dogs are a joke.
    Mystery meat dogs on a tastless bun.
    Mayo and Ketchup with chopped onions are standard. Although some stands offer saurkraut or dried baked onions.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Really?
    yeah i was watching something on tv that said that if your over 10 years old ketchup is

i like a turkey dog with mustard and ketchup

or a regular dog with baked beans and ketchup

the local hot dog joints out here though are onions, chili/meat sauce, and mustard.

YOU ARE NOT FROM CHICAGO. YOU JUST PLAYED YOURSELF.

STUDY UP. WHUTTY WHUT.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

• in colombia there are some hot dog stands that sell them with yogurt and pineapple jelly on top amongst other things... it's better than it sounds.

with yogurt and pineapple jelly

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

NO JOKING ABOUT HOT DOGS ALLOWED.
    VIENNA BEEF OR GO HOME.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Chicago got the ill hot dogs (no homo). Byron's is the truth.

• I cant get with all that shit on mine...just chilli,weinie, and some hot sauce works for me. Most people around here prefer to add slaw,mustard and onions too, though.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I tried to find a pic online but to no avail
    finally here is a pick that came when looking for chinese sausage (AYO!)

MC Hotdog is a "well-known" and as it seems "well-hatted" MC. As he was just boo'd yesterday by an entire stadium of fans at the Jay-Z concert. For an entire 30 minutes obscenities were yelled out in English and Chinese, middle fingers were thrown up and things were thrown at him on the stage. I felt kinda sorry for him after 15 minutes. He even adopted the same "B.I.G." shirt that Jay-Z wore on Fade To Black to get brownie points.

It was kinda funny. He did a call and response to the crowd "When I Say Fuck, You say You"... everyone just yelled FUCK YOU MC HOTDOG... etc. etc. yeah. MC Hotdog. He should get sponsored by a hot dog company tho. Next level.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    I don??t like hot dogs at all, but in a hot dog threat Danish hot dog culture has to be mentioned. There are these weird red sausages (polser) and the special "franske hotdog" style. The bun has a hole, where you first place the sauce and then the sausage.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Here in Cleveland we have what's called a "Polish Boy" which is basically a bun, Polish sausage topped with cole slaw, french fries, and bar-b-que sauce....believe it or not shit is good....to bad I dont eat pork or beef anymore....

• spicy mustard, bbq sauce, and onions.

if in cincinnati, i'll always rock the Cheese coney at Skyline, with mustard and onions.

• On their menu page they have duck fat fries, what are those?
    *nevermind, I just looked it up, they are literally fries cooked in duck fat.

At a lot of public beaches in Puerto Rico you can get a hotdog with ketchup, mustard, cheese wiz, chilli, and potato sticks, damn good. Some people like to add mayo, saurkraut and relish, but I don't mess with all that.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• Chicago doods....whats the deal with the celery salt on the dog?

Im a Nathan's fan...gulden's mustard, onions and relish.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I thought this was going to be about:

• I miss my Providence hot dog spot - Spike's Junk Yard Dogs

They look similar to the Chicago style ones.

• spicy mustard, bbq sauce, and onions.

if in cincinnati, i'll always rock the Cheese coney at Skyline, with mustard and onions.

I was just about to post that, although Skyline is definitely my number one choice, I think that Gold Star has a more diverse menu: Open face chili burgers (on garlic bread!), Chili Dip (people have been making Skyline dip for years, but Skyline never offered it on their menu), Gold Star Tex-Mex Nachos, Chili Salad...

There's an Empress Chili opening near me soon, I'll have to check that out, it's supposed to be the original Cincinnati chili spot.

John

2 cheese coneys and a 3-way (chili, spaghetti and cheese) =

• How has this thread made it to this point without a mention of the Sonic Foot-Long Coney?

"Topped with Chili and Cheese, Mustard and Onions on request."

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Who's up on the Sonoran dogs?

There's a spot in South Tucson that has them down... so good.