New York Scratchmasters - jam #1

bloodcellbloodcell 208 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
i used to buy this series in like 83/84 when i was in my early teens.i was looking for info on these the other day and found nothing, anyone got any info?(sorry about this absurd size photo)they are pretty much one sided live mixes djs used to put out. break dancing & rap music...and yes, lots of scratching.

Comments

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
    yep - information is a little thin on the origin of this series, but disco patrick has some good scans and info at his site:

http://members.home.nl/discopatrick/other.htm

• thanks, i checked his site out before. i have always wondered who put these out dj wise, did anyone ever come out of this "new york scratchmasters" crew?

• these were done by two budding L.A. dj's: Dr. Dre (yes, that Dr. Dre) and DJ Unknown.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    these were done by two budding L.A. dj's: Dr. Dre (yes, that Dr. Dre) and DJ Unknown.

Really? DJ Unknown from CMW? Crazy

• these were done by two budding L.A. dj's: Dr. Dre (yes, that Dr. Dre) and DJ Unknown.

Do you know who did the Z-Rock joints?

• Do you know who did the Z-Rock joints?
    nope.

• i can't absolutely confirm it's the same DJ Unknown as the one from CMW, but the logistics and timeline suggests it could be. it appears to be a blatant attempt to make loot by misleading the public into believing they were NYC dj's when it was created, pressed and distributed in LA, by LA dj's. isn't there five of them in the series?

these were done by two budding L.A. dj's: Dr. Dre (yes, that Dr. Dre) and DJ Unknown.

• i can't absolutely confirm it's the same DJ Unknown as the one from CMW, but the logistics and timeline suggests it could be. it appears to be a blatant attempt to make loot by misleading the public into believing they were NYC dj's when it was created, pressed and distributed in LA, by LA dj's. isn't there five of them in the series?

That is the same Unknown.

• thank you guys for the help and info on this, i only have 1 of those zrock records, its the red one.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i've never seen these on the east coast

• i've never seen these on the east coast

maybe its the age thing, we both come from the same city and i got that ish right up at cedar center holmes! records unlimited...which was then on prospect & 4th and moved right on to prospect after HOB came along.