You know what? That Justin Timberlake shit sucks!

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    the (excellent) diddy LP

I can't be the only one who feels like this album sounds disjointed. Or maybe it's just been too long since I've actually heard Diddy rhyme on a full track? His vocals sound so forced and deliberate.

People keep saying that he's improved as an MC, but to my ears he's actually devolved... and crossed the line into unlistenability.

Also: am I the only one that feels like some SoulStrut dudes may just be worried about missing the boat again and aren't really feeling Press Play quite as much as they profess to?

i.e., dudes slept on No Way Out (excellent) and Saga Continues (pretty good) and are ignoring what their ears are telling them because they don't want to be caught with their pants down a third time. I will probably listen to the album eventually, but I cannot imagine--based on the ~5 tracks I've heard thus far--that it will be any good.
    Oh its not as good as
    No Way Out but its more interesting than Saga and have you heard "Diddy Rock" yet?

Not yet. I've heard the single, the Cristina Aguilera joint, the one with Nas and Cee-Lo, and the one that Monch wrote.

And re: the above--yes I do realize I am entering territory usually occupied by some of the board's more embarassing contributors in suggesting that people don't really like what they profess to like.

• Like or dislike, Timberlake just got me and two other people PAID.
    Thank you JT!
    Your service to the Old Soul Musicians Union is appreciated, even if you are unaware!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

And re: the above--yes I do realize I am entering territory usually occupied by some of the board's more embarassing contributors in suggesting that people don't really like what they profess to like.

Whatever can you mean?

The only reason this turd has gotten any love whatsoever is due to inverse elitism. People are professing to feel it so that when heads deem it(correctly) to be trash they can claim they are just too image conscious to appreciate it. This is the only possible explaination.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yeah, it's always 100% nature...never nurture.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

i.e., dudes slept on No Way Out (excellent)

there's no shame in sleeping, but excellent is a stretch. to me, excellent means solid start to finish. there are some great songs on that album. also a lot of meandering filler. but, hey i can barely tolerate biggie tracks with diddy on them. i'd seriously rate him the worst mc evar. mind you, i respect his business acumen tremendously. but, for fuck's sake, stay the fuck off the mic. plaese.

now back to Jerstin Timbolake...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Review by Andy Kellman
    Diddy spent the five years since the release of his previous solo album making (and shelving) a gospel album, dabbling (or flailing) in dance music, running in the New York City Marathon, developing a perfume called (almost unbelievably) Unforgivable, and undoubtedly doing many other important things. His Bad Boy empire settled into a severe lull until the summer of 2006, when Yung Joc's "It's Going Down," Cassie's "Me&U," and the Danity Kane album revived the label. Press Play is well timed, and it's also well endowed: the roster of collaborators and guests is both extensive and impressive enough to entice the severely Diddy-resistant. Peculiarly enough, Diddy's practically the opening act on his own album. During the first several tracks, he's the dominant voice, dishing out the expected variations on his wildly hubristic boasts of old, and that includes a baffling gritted-teeth threat like "America, fall back, you can't stop me/Got a thing for pigeon-toed chicks who walk knock-kneed." On his own, he does not deliver. Around track six, the guests begin to take over the 80-minute program, and the album morphs into a theatrical examination of love and romance that is partly randomized but mostly tremendous. Apparently inspired by his relationships with ex-girlfriend Jennifer Lopez and his wife, Diddy and his shifting cast of fellow songwriters/producers pen a series of songs ??? you could almost call it a suite ??? emboldened by a round of knockout performances from several women. Multi-threat up-and-comer Keri Hilson (watch for her), Brandy, Keyshia Cole, and Mary J. Blige all take lead roles and make up the heart of the album. This last half-hour of the album, with the exception of a couple instances where Diddy could've left everything in the hands of the vocalists, teeters on the edge of brilliance. Timbaland (with partner Nathanial "Danja" Hill) and Mario Winans (with Diddy) deliver robust, imaginative productions that lay the majority of modern-day R&B tracks to waste (glints of left-field dance music and the new wave that inspired it are incorporated to great effect), while Rich Harrison expectedly and thrillingly blends the blaring with the lush behind Blige. The rest of the album is worth talking about, as it involves noteworthy appearances from Christina Aguilera, Ciara, Nas, Big Boi, Cee-Lo, and several others, but it's less risky and not nearly as remarkable as the closing stretch. All told, the number of memorable hooks on display here is surprising.

• If Timberlake were to sign off on an extensive trawl through the Stax archives which unearthed untold hidden gems (something which is long overdue imho), how would you or Funky16 feel about him then? Like I said, I'm gonna wait and see.

Depriving your brain of oxygen for extended periods of time by holding your breath can cause injury or death...i.e. don't...

"Booker who and the M whats???[/b]

See, now that's what I was talking about earlier. If people want to assume that, just because he used to be in N*Sync, he couldn't possibly know shit about Booker T. & The MG's, I can't stop them. But if anyone wanted to bet he didn't know shit about Booker T. & The MG's, I'd be willing to take that bet.

I would agree with what you said EXCEPT his signing of Freesol is already a very bad bad first impression of his taste.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Oh man...I CAN'T WAIT for the thread on Diddy's new album!!!

That rhyme Pharoahe Monch wrote for him is pretty tight.

Which ones did he write?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    so basically throughout this thread we've discovered that if you sign a potentially shitty artist to a label, you cannot possibly make any good music. we've also discovered that no one really likes music, they just say that they do so when someone says something bad about it they can defend it. anything else?

buy trae's album

• so basically throughout this thread we've discovered that if you sign a proven shitty artist to a label, you cannot possibly have good taste.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    buy trae's album

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    so basically throughout this thread we've discovered that if you sign a proven shitty artist to a label, you cannot possibly have good taste.
    I would trust timbaland's taste over 90% of the people on this board and he signed magoo.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    so basically throughout this thread we've discovered that if you sign a proven shitty artist to a label, you cannot possibly have good taste.
    I would trust timbaland's taste over 90% of the people on this board and he signed magoo.

Please be serious.

Timbaland, genius though he is, has absolutely terrible taste.

• so basically throughout this thread we've discovered that if you sign a proven shitty artist to a label, you cannot possibly have good taste.

well, get after this heat dude

http://www.freesol.net/uploads/media/Smokin%20That.mp3

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

are you serious? Magoo from Timbaland and Magoo? And you think that's a good look? Talk about one of the worst MCs ever...

justin's taste is what we were talking about

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

are you serious? Magoo from Timbaland and Magoo? And you think that's a good look? Talk about one of the worst MCs ever...
    Thats what I'm saying. Just cuz dude signs some 'freesol' bullshit (which i cant hear cuz i'm at work but i'll trust you, for some reason) doesn't mean that he's shit and stax will be shit and the world is ending, or whatever.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    the (excellent) diddy LP

I can't be the only one who feels like this album sounds disjointed. Or maybe it's just been too long since I've actually heard Diddy rhyme on a full track? His vocals sound so forced and deliberate.

People keep saying that he's improved as an MC, but to my ears he's actually devolved... and crossed the line into unlistenability.

Also: am I the only one that feels like some SoulStrut dudes may just be worried about missing the boat again and aren't really feeling Press Play quite as much as they profess to?

i.e., dudes slept on No Way Out (excellent) and Saga Continues (pretty good) and are ignoring what their ears are telling them because they don't want to be caught with their pants down a third time. I will probably listen to the album eventually, but I cannot imagine--based on the ~5 tracks I've heard thus far--that it will be any good.
    Oh its not as good as
    No Way Out but its more interesting than Saga and have you heard "Diddy Rock" yet?

Not yet. I've heard the single, the Cristina Aguilera joint, the one with Nas and Cee-Lo, and the one that Monch wrote.

You're 'presenting'. Stop it.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

Yuck.

that's way worse than i thought it could possibly have been.

and yet, justin's album is still good.

Thats what I'm saying. Just cuz dude signs some 'freesol' bullshit (which i cant hear cuz i'm at work but i'll trust you, for some reason) doesn't mean that he's shit and stax will be shit and the world is ending, or whatever.

I think the shit most artists sign or push is pretty bad. I'd never judge an artist on his A&R skills.

JT's album is solid. Judging what people have said on this, I don't really think many of you have listened beyond SexyBack (a good club song, ie, one that gets people dancing) and My Love (which is sick). There are a lot of other good songs, including Damn Girl, What Goes Around, Future Sex/LoveSound, and the best song on there, Love Stoned.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Yuck.

...and it's on "Stax," no less.

SG

• Yuck.

...and it's on "Stax," no less.

SG

not that particular tune, they havent recorded the "Stax" album yet, they just got signed last week or so...but I doubt that band could make a "good" record, going by their "sound".

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    WTF!? Is there some sort of subliminal message encoded in these tracks?

That's what I'm thinking. While I guess all these Beckys wanna imagine JL rippin off their bras, there still seems to be something (spores?) taking over their brains.

This chick stood there and begged for that shit for about fifteen minutes. She tried several different strategies to get it played.

One was saying, "If I (the DJ) could play anything I wanted, what would I play?"

I said, "I don't know? What's playing right now?"

She gets real close like she loves me and says, "You just think about your all time favorite song and play that. OK? And then play Justin Timberlake."

ARGH!

I was so rude to her. I told her to go to another place to hear that shit. She still smiled at me and tried to get me to play it. Even after I told her I did not even have it, she kept cooing me to play it like she was in heat for that shit. Like she was some crack head and I was was holding the best cane on the planet--just making her beg for it.

How to solve this problem...

Tell her you're not going to play the song. If she's persistent with all the comebacks and whatever...GIVE IN.

So 10 tracks down the line when you play this BS and she's all out there getting it on with the frat boys, cut the music in the middle of the song and go to the next track.

Hopefully her neck breaks from the screaching halt.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    WTF!? Is there some sort of subliminal message encoded in these tracks?

That's what I'm thinking. While I guess all these Beckys wanna imagine JL rippin off their bras, there still seems to be something (spores?) taking over their brains.

This chick stood there and begged for that shit for about fifteen minutes. She tried several different strategies to get it played.

One was saying, "If I (the DJ) could play anything I wanted, what would I play?"

I said, "I don't know? What's playing right now?"

She gets real close like she loves me and says, "You just think about your all time favorite song and play that. OK? And then play Justin Timberlake."

ARGH!

I was so rude to her. I told her to go to another place to hear that shit. She still smiled at me and tried to get me to play it. Even after I told her I did not even have it, she kept cooing me to play it like she was in heat for that shit. Like she was some crack head and I was was holding the best cane on the planet--just making her beg for it.

How to solve this problem...

Tell her you're not going to play the song. If she's persistent with all the comebacks and whatever...GIVE IN.

So 10 tracks down the line when you play this BS and she's all out there getting it on with the frat boys, cut the music in the middle of the song and go to the next track.

Hopefully her neck breaks from the screaching halt.

lol - but he doesn't own it! and i gather he will not be buying it!

my answer to "do you take requests?" is always "if i have it, i'll play it" (unless i played it already) - most times i just get a blank stare. this is why i think everyone who goes out to clubs should dj out at least once - a little perspective is always good.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

ha I completely misread that... I thought you meant JT signed Magoo...

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

it's so funny how much hate you guys have over something small like this.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

Which ones did he write?

i can tell off the bat "the future" is a monch track. diddy takes his flow and everything.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I am FEELING "My Love" on some dance all around the house and fall in love with TI all over again in the video tyoe steez and I even thought to myself well that Justin Timberlake IS a good dancer!