tower records has gone gameover

2»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    It's sad that so many of us shop at large chains instead of supporting independent retailers.

Any one in Portland who shopped in Tower instead of Music Millennium should be ashamed.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    It's sad that so many of us shop at large chains instead of supporting independent retailers.

I think it's just a matter of proximity and availability. In my case, the city was La Jolla.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    I would always spunk ??100 in Tower every trip down to London as they carried the obscurities no-one else had on the shelves.

Then we got the internet.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    good riddance. fuck tower records.

• seriously... FUCK Tower Records... they haven't even sold "records" in about 15 years like their name implies. and i used to work there back in the late 90's... they pay minimum wage, treat employees like shit, and give no benefits whatsoever.

My finace worked there for one day in collage and quit because it sucked so much and paid so little. FUCK a TOWER

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i hate the tower SD story. really im just bitter cause al got a bay area collection of jazz/soul that should of been for us. sniffle...

and please keep hating tower records and dont go to them... ive cleaned up pretty well with recordds at the 5 towers ive driven to for records. backstock in two of them was pretty nice. rock and soul stuff. lots of rap from the 90s. why it was still there i dont know??? bought about 200 records since friday.

• the tower in boston had a decent selection of hip hop records during the mid to late 90s at reasonable prices. it was also the only spot open at midnight on tuesdays for new releases. the tower in philly has a big selection of magazines and a half-decent dvd department. i walked by the other day and i think the whole store is 30-40% off. not bad.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    knew a girl who worked at tower Picadilly, London. this was 95. i was backpacking and it was the biggest record store id seen in my short life. she saved my life, but thats another story.

I used to steal graf mags and cd singles from there.

went to great parties with the staff and they were all cool.
    met Afrika Bambaata in the magazine section, told him i thought he was cool, he had heard of New Zealand, i was stoked.

got head in one of the security rooms too.

RIP Tower Records.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    the tower in philly has a big selection of magazines and a half-decent dvd department. i walked by the other day and i think the whole store is 30-40% off. not bad.

It's where I went to flip through magazines while waiting for a food order.

But for DVDs (outside of certain niche labels and imports), you're probably best off just waiting for the deepdiscountdvd.com 20% sale that ramps up in about a month or so. Regular prices around amazon or less, free shipping, plus another 20% off. Sweeeeet.

• they pay minimum wage, treat employees like shit, and give no benefits whatsoever.

that's every record store period. most people don't work at tower for a salary and benefits...

i always thought tower had a great magazine and music related DVD selection. I rarely buy a new CD so that doesn't really fall into the equation for me.

oh well either way. you can buy everything you need on the internet now anyway so it's no surprise stores like this are going under and the price of stamps is going up. c'est la vie.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    the tower in philly has a big selection of magazines and a half-decent dvd department. i walked by the other day and i think the whole store is 30-40% off. not bad.

Was this the Market/Broad location or the one on South Street?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i have no where to buy magazines now
    i think another big factor with declining record store sales is circuit city, best buy, and the like offering huge discounts on new releases. record stores cannot keep up with that, plain and simple.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    does anyone know when the NYC stores are starting some kinds 50% off or more sale?? I would drive down for that...

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

Was this the Market/Broad location or the one on South Street?

Same question.

My lady works right next door to the Broad St location right by City Hall and she told me yesterday that they are still at 20%. She also said that the employees don't find out what the next increase in discount will be until the night before. I am assembling a list of things for her to keep her eyes on, because she heads down on her breaks to scope things out.