STUDIO MONITORS: Event TR6 vs. KRK RP6?????

G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I've been going through this for a while now. Here's what I've figured out:Event is a reputable name for high-end studio monitoring needs, the ASP series seem to be where it's at and what I've seen in some high-end studios. They also have an "affordable" line (TR for Tuned Reference) that is considerably cheaper (right up my broke ass little dude alley). KRK makes a couple different lines of monitors as well (the ones with the yellow woofer) and they have great reviews all over the place, plus they are pretty affordable. I've heard that the Event TR series speakers came out originally with a radio wave reception problem (the speakers would pick up various different radio frequencies and make all kinda noises, no good). I emailed Event support and they said if I bought a pair new that had that problem that they would replace them (i'm sure after about $50 in shipping on my behalf, but you never know), although the issue was fixed in more recent productions of said speaker. On the other hand, the KRK's seem to have a much better review. I'm only looking for 6 inch woofers on my monitors because my mix room is quite tiny, especially with 2 full shelf units of wax in there. Somebody help me decide, I can save about $50 going with the events but I don't know anybody who's ever had the TR's. Thanks.GB

Comments

• Dynaudio BM5A

• If I could afford 'em I would, and I know the common argument of "if you can't afford this much it's not really worth it" but I need an immediate solution in the $400 range because one of my current alesis m1's died and I need stereo playback to do mixes and finish songs. The TR6 and RP6 are both about $400 a pair. Those look dope though.

• tr6's are what i have and while i love them and they do bump sometimes it leaves me wanting a little more bass response. it's kinda hard to to really monitor the bass when it comes to eq. when i was buying them the dude at the store recommended that i step it up to the tr8'sf, i thought he was just doing his saleman routine to get more money out of me but i really should have taken his advice for the bass monitoring reason alone. as for the krk's you mention, these are the shit. my boy has these in his studio and from what i can hear they get the bass response that is needed to get a quality sounding mix. i have only heard the krk a handful of times but they sound really good IMO. however, as the saying goes... "diffrent strokes for different folks" right? anyway, i hope this helps. good luck!

• That helps a lot, actually. I haven't heard one negative thing about the KRK's and I've heard something negative about the TR6 from everybody I've talked to. I guess that explains why they are lightly cheaper. One question though - were the KRK's you heard the 6's or the 8's? Sometimes an 8 inch woofer can be too big for certain rooms and you can lose some of the accuracy of the monitoring. I had Alesis M1 6.5 inch woofer monitors and they had shitty bass-response too. If the KRK's you heard were 6's, I'm there. If they were 8's, I still might just get the 6's. Thanks a ton.

GB

• i'm almost certain they were (krk) 6's. please do not read me wrong i love my tr6's but if i had a little more loot when i was buying them i would have stepped it up to the tr8's. give the krk's a shot though, they are really nice.

• I found a pair of TR8's for sale for $420 with stands and the RP6's I found were $375 (no stands). I just fear that TR8's will be too big for my little room, but it sounds liee a good deal. I think I'll stick with the KRK's at this point. Thanks again for your input, it helped.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i had that original problem with my tr8xls and event replaced the amps free of cost and i did not pay a dime for shipping (even to and from hawaii.) about a year or so after that, the amp in one of my speakers died and based on shipping and amp costs, repairs will come up around the same as a new speaker so im kinda out of luck. this was at low volume monitoring and everything so i am kinda displeased with having two separate amp problems with the same brand, but what can you do?

i have only heard good things about these blue sky media desk monitors. they have been highly recommended as the "budget" monitor of choice. i will be replacing my tr8xls with them after i get more skrilla. here's a review: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan05/articles/bluesky.htm

• dude, tr8's for $420 are you kidding me? no brainer...

WITH STANDS!?!?!?!?

• dude, tr8's for $420 are you kidding me? no brainer...

WITH STANDS!?!?!?!?

i saw it on zzounds.com, go for it! factory resealed, but should still have full warranty. I just found RP-8's for $400 and although I said I think my room is too small for 8's, it's a hard deal to pass up (reg. $500 a pair). Plus, I might have a bigger room sometime in the next 2 years so I might as well plan ahead.