Synthesizers vs. Vintage Synthesizers

G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Let's say I was in the market for a synth and didn't have that much money to spend (up to $300) What are your experiences/what is your knowledge on synths? I like old records so I think I like old synths, but I don't know much. I know a little about Moog, Mini-moog, ARP Odyssey, some of the popular schtuff. But that stuff costs a lot. What would you say is a good, versatile synthesizer, new or old, that is affordable? Thoughts? Reccomendations? Warnings? What's good in the vintage area vs. what's good in the new area? Pictures and sound samples are welcome...

Comments

• old: Realisic MG1 (made by moog) or the Arp Axxe should be able to get either for less than 300.
    new: software, get reaktor or absynth and build your own shit.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    those micro korgs they make now are pretty fun. Old sound and I think they are under $500...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    those micro korgs they make now are pretty fun. Old sound and I thkn they are under $500...
    they retail for 400ish and i finally came to the realization that i really don't like programming this thing

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    those micro korgs they make now are pretty fun. Old sound and I thkn they are under $500...
    they retail for 400ish and i finally came to the realization that i really don't like programming this thing

I don't have one, so I dunno the ins and outs... just played with a friends'.

If you're patient and check out pawn shops and used gear places regularly you can find some pretty sweet old synths. the older korgs are cool, and as was mentioned before, Moog made some budget models for other companies like realistic that are cool and usually not too pricey.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i had the korg ms2000r
    its a cool machine. Just limited by polyphony. and its the micro korgs big bro. And by going to the user sights online you can download mad patches for this thing including the microkorgs presets. Pretty cool.
    cool to smoke some trees then just play with knobs.

Now i just use reason or lives vsti synths. I like being able to save the shit with my sampler data in one nice file. The korg though is pretty cheap. it was like $499 when i bought it.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    roland juno-60

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    roland juno-60

and right within your budget

Go to vintagesynth.com and check the clip.

• micro KORG has a lot of good sound, but modulating sounds on it is a bitch, it feels like a toy for kids. AND the keys is too small, this is a synth for midgets, or kids, BUT is looks good, has a lot of good presets and a vocoder (yeah).

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I'll propably get hated for my statement but who cares ?

I had a collection of old synths and e-pianos but after I started using the plug ins which emulate this stuff I never went back.

So I know a lot of producers say there is a diffrence, yeah thats true, but the diffrence is so SMALL that I dont give a fuck.

What I do is to use all emulations of old synths and e-pianos. Play my shit on it and than run it through some guitar amp plug in, fuck the sound up, add some tape hiss and dirt and there it is, my old fucked up sounding tracks.

Listen to "On the run" on my myspace profile. There I used a arp emulation and it sounds like a old fucked up moog recorded in the 70s.

The wurlitzer in that same track is also a plug in, but it sounds very old too.

Check "On The Run"

When it comes to prices, you can buy those plug ins, but you can also dont buy them
    . Ever heard of "try before buy" ????

Peace
    Hawkeye

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    you can make this work, but i would really would add an amp and mic to it, rather than have it exist in the box.

1s and 0s can be your friend, just gotta warm em up with a little air.

• Yeah I'll be perfectly honest with you, I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to soft synths and plug ins and shit like that, which is really dumb because I've been making music with a computer for something like 8 or 9 years. I just use a very simple process which involves no midi - I record anything from an outside source directly through soundcard inputs, which is why I like synths and keyboards. I can play them and just record them and chop them up with a wave editor and use them how I want. I'm too stubborn to learn how to use soft synths and midi to synch up a controller with sounds on my machine, although that's really where I need to be. I'm like the neanderthal of computer production, but worse. And lately, I don't have much interest in sampling from records for entire tracks. Maybe a piece or two here and there, but I want to primarily create my drums synthetically and my melodies with my own fingers, thus the search for a better synth. I have an Alesis QuadraSynth that's 5 or 6 years old, and a Roland jx305 groovesynth or some shit, it's some crazy technogabberrap keyboard (no lil jon) but I kinda like it because you can tweak the sounds, but most of the sounds sound like shit (like trance music). So that's where I'm at. Thanks to all for the recos on the synths, I have heard of and looked at the juno-60 before, I may look further into that, as well as the ones silvertone suggested. Add on if you wish or if anybody wants to tutor me on catching up to the 21st century, with midi and soft synths, holler at me PM style. Thanks.

• don't get the realistic mg-1 moog...way too much money for the amount of synthesis offered. i'd recommended a juno-106 or a sh-101...early 80s rolands kick ass...they sound fantastic and they rarely need repairs...they are built solid.

also in your price range you can find stuff like the korg poly-800 or the sequential six track...analog synths with digital controls.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I'll propably get hated for my statement but who cares ?

I had a collection of old synths and e-pianos but after I started using the plug ins which emulate this stuff I never went back.

So I know a lot of producers say there is a diffrence, yeah thats true, but the diffrence is so SMALL that I dont give a fuck.

What I do is to use all emulations of old synths and e-pianos. Play my shit on it and than run it through some guitar amp plug in, fuck the sound up, add some tape hiss and dirt and there it is, my old fucked up sounding tracks.

Listen to "On the run" on my myspace profile. There I used a arp emulation and it sounds like a old fucked up moog recorded in the 70s.

The wurlitzer in that same track is also a plug in, but it sounds very old too.

Check "On The Run"

When it comes to prices, you can buy those plug ins, but you can also dont buy them
    . Ever heard of "try before buy" ????

Peace
    Hawkeye

Fuck "On The Run", how bout' that "Organ Donor" cover, Shitt, Fuckk, Damnn.
    Nice Hawkeye.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Fuck "On The Run"

You blasphemous batch you.

, how bout' that "Organ Donor" cover, Shitt, Fuckk, Damnn.
    Nice Hawkeye.

Thanks man I'll