-

13»

Comments

• i haven't seen it
    read the plot and current press reviews

looks like yet another brilliantly filmed and acted ode to white male machismo and power hoarding.
    great, thats just what the world needs more of right now,
    more empty violent bullshit.

real heady stuff, full of thought inspiring tropes and imagery

we get to see Jack Nicholson as an Alpha male crime boss,a real big streach for him as an actor and human being.
    predictable at best

Instead of using the well mined new york italian mafioso stereotypes, scorcese shifted the players to Boston substituting Irish cops/criminals.
    so what was learned?
    who was enlightened?

did you walk away from the theatre with more knowledge of self and life?
    same shit different movie
    i'd rather watch march of the penguns or crocodile hunter reruns

dude you serious? march of the penguins sucked. REAL boring.

• perhaps blasphemy but I liked the Departed more than Infernal Affairs.

I agree.
    And I don't know too many bigger fans of HK film than myself.

• spoilers

Why did they never come back to the envelope that Costigan gave Sullivan's girl?

Was Digmon (sp?) doing his thang at the end for revenge or was that supposed to also tie him to Costello? I'm assuming revenge (and hoping) just wonderign if anyone saw it differently?

I thought Leo was easily the best lead and Winstone killed it too but that's a given.

Decent film, good performances but I wasn't thrilled w/ the writing.

He didn't even bother to throw in fifty songs like he does in his really good movies.

Sigh, I guess he really won't make anything even in the next zip code to Goodfellas.

Is the HK original worth my time? There multiple episodes?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

spoilers

Why did they never come back to the envelope that Costigan gave Sullivan's girl?

I think because Costigan got the CDs of all the conversations and sent them to Sullivan. The girlfriend came across them by accident didn't she? The package was actually addressed to Damon wasn't it?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    just saw it, and thought it was great.

but there were some confusing things, and unanswered questions.

spoilers

I think because Costigan got the CDs of all the conversations and sent them to Sullivan. The girlfriend came across them by accident didn't she? The package was actually addressed to Damon wasn't it?

you're forgetting about the whole scene where he hands her an envelope and says you're the only one i can trust, don't open this until i tell you to or i'm dead. totally separate from the cds.

No, what I was trying to say is that the letter probably was some kind of expose of Costigan and Damon's character, but that became unnecessary when Costigan came into possession of Costello's CDs. The girlfriend intercepted them and found out about her BF.

• snosno 332 Posts
    I agree.
    Hey Paul, I am interest to know what's your opinion on this "alternate ending":

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    @ the end, why does that woman pull her dog away from him??

@ the end, why does that woman pull her dog away from him??

Yeah, I didn't get that either. To take a wild guess, maybe the neighbors found out that that his pregnant wife left him or perhaps Wahlberg just told them that he was a rat fink liar! Could be foreshadowing in the movieline of what his fate was to be once he entered his apartment.

• I agree.

I just watched this movie today and I think I liked the original ending better than that alternate.

I think overall I like The Departed more than Infernal Affairs, although the Departed borrowed a lot more form it than I expected (i.e. word for word conversations). I didn't like how IE just throws you into the thick of the story without really explaining what is going on. On the other hand, Departed dragged at a few points because Scorsese seemed to want to flesh the story out a bit more. However, I don't think anyone who liked the Departed will dislike IA. In fact, it was really interesting to compare the two since they're both solid in their own right.

• Hey Paul, I am interest to know what's your opinion on this "alternate ending":

It's interesting.
    By the way, I never did get around to seeing IA Part 3.
    You think I shouldn't even bother?
    I've heard some folks say that's the best of the series.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

It's interesting.
    By the way, I never did get around to seeing IA Part 3.
    You think I shouldn't even bother?
    I've heard some folks say that's the best of the series.

I'm in the same position as was lent the first two by a friend who bought them as they were released. Unfortunately we fell out before the release of the third and I've never got round to picking it up - was unsure how much more drama they could squeeze from the story.

Would like to know if it's worth the time to track down.