MLB Playoffs...Its on BATCHES!

dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
After 19 years of not making the playoffs my Tigers have finally come through. Its disapponting they lost the division on the very final game of the season, but at the same time I can't complain because I never thought the Tigers would be in the post season this year. I figured in a couple years or so...but man...I'm just happy they're in.Yankees are heavily favored...but if the Tigers can pull a game at Yankee stadium I think things will be very interesting.Props to the White Sox. They had a great season and didn't make it only cause some of the hottest teams in baseball were all in the AL Central. Its a shame the way they select for the postseason cause Oakland isn't looking that impressive.What are your guys's picks?Mets coming out of the NL?Twins and Yankees in the ALCS?Subway series?Discuss...

Comments

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i'm a redsox fan so this season has been heartbreaking...that being said i'm pulling for whoever is playing against the stankees. my sleeper picks for the world series: A's vs Dodgers.

• I root for the White Sox. Thanks for the props but they didn't earn their way in w/ good pitching and clutch hitting like they should.

So yeah, having said that, I've decided I'll be rooting for the As this post-season. Frank Thomas. I want to see him get some shine. He's had a great year at the plate and carried that offense. I don't think they have a great shot to win it all though. I don't see who is gonna beat the Yankees really. I hate the Yankees, but I actually hope A-Rod does well cos he's getting a little bit of a raw deal in NY. Those fans can welcome back Roid Rage Giambi w/ open arms but they are all over the $25 million dollar man?

Mets would be a good pick if they weren't missing Pedro.

I don't even know how good the Padres or Dodgers might be. I would imagine one of those teams is coming out of the NL.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

SAYING. it sucks i can't watch any of the a's/twins games since they are during work hours

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

SAYING. it sucks i can't watch any of the a's/twins games since they are during work hours

tell me about it. i think i'm going to buy that mlb radio so i can at least listen to them

• I really dont think the Mets "need" Pedro. The duche, glavine, trachsel, maine lineup might be a little thin, but I think it will be enough to get them to the world series. Although, the dogers are starting derick lowe in game one, and greg maddux in game 3 should kill trachsel.

But I think its all AL in the wold series. The national league doesnt have a chance there. The yankee lineup is just to redonkulous. 1-9 power. its scary. Mentally, for a pitcher, i dont know how one would get ready for that lineup. There's no break. Everytime you get an out theres some big Sheffield type dude up next. But honestly, I dont think the Yanks need to start all their ofensive boomers to be succesful. Especialy with Wang pitching, they should sit Shefield and Arod to get some beter defense.

Pitching and defense will win.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Go NOT Yankees!!

That's all I care about as a Red Sox fan at this point. If anyone, I'm pulling for the A's so I can see Swisher celebrate some more... that guy loves baseball

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    the yankees lineup is just
    i hate them

• Go NOT Yankees!!

That's all I care about as a Red Sox fan at this point.

:GET ON OUR LEVEL:

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Yeah...the Yankees have a stacked line-up, but I'm saying...if Detroit can pull one from them at Yankee Stadium things are gonna be very interesting coming into Detroit.

Detroit starting Robertson who hasn't had the greatest season, but he's been really strong in September. He's also a lefty which the Yankees have been a little weaker against. So I'm saying...Robertson does something tonight to get the win and Verlander loses the second game. Come back to Detroit with Kenny Rogers pitching against Randy Johnson who is coming back from a herniated disc which leaves our regular season number 2, Bonderman, against Wright. In my opinion Leyland is playing his cards very well. I would also be on the look out for the Tigers trying to steal extra bases knowing that Posada hasn't had the best of luck behind the plate this year.

I know....its a big dream....but if it happens it would be dope.

A's and Twins about to start in a bit...gonna be watchin the ticker from work.

Woulda liked to see the Red Sox make the post season but you guys fell off HARD after the All-Star game. They were ahead in the standing by big and ust started dropping.

• SAYING. it sucks i can't watch any of the a's/twins games since they are during work hours

tell me about it. i think i'm going to buy that mlb radio so i can at least listen to them

Terrible, both of the Padre home games are at 1pm pacific time. BOOOOOO!!!!

Go Padres.

i follow the play-by-play on the 'gamechannel' at yahoo sports every year for these work hour games. it's easier for me to keep track of what is going on than the radio

the one on mlb.com is pretty amusing as well becuase you can see the batter and the strike zone. it shows where each pitch ends up.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    ...So yeah, having said that, I've decided I'll be rooting for the As this post-season. Frank Thomas. I want to see him get some shine. He's had a great year at the plate and carried that offense. I don't think they have a great shot to win it all though...

Thomas just homered...

1-0 A's

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

So yeah, having said that, I've decided I'll be rooting for the As this post-season. Frank Thomas. I want to see him get some shine. He's had a great year at the plate and carried that offense. I don't think they have a great shot to win it all though.

yeah i am really nervous. for 3 or maybe 4 years straight the a's have made it to the postseason only to get assed out in the ALDS. in fact, the last time i went to a playoff game was in 2002 and it was A's vs Twins just like 2006. it was a devastating loss.

i am extra nervous about this year because a's relievers are really awful. i'm ready to pull my hair out especially whenever they call jay witasick

hooray! a's 3 twins 2

although i hear that bradley lost a ball in the lights. i don't know how the twins can deal with playing in the metrodome. the ceiling is the same dirty white color as the ball

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    a's relievers are really awful.

and they almost blew it today

The Yankees will probably jog to the World Series ...

Detroit is just too young ...they have the talent and they have the best manager in baseball ....but......

1. Johnny Damon, CF
    2. Derek Jeter, SS
    3. Bobby Abreu, RF
    4. Gary Sheffield, 1B
    5. Jason Giambi, DH
    6. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
    7. Hideki Matsui, LF
    8. Jorge Posada, C
    9. Robinson Cano, 2B

......when you have A-Rod batting sixth and Matsui batting seventh... shit aint a fair fight

The A's have no bullpen and Milton Bradley is on the team ....nagl

The Twins have the best Pitcher in baseball and he lost today .....goodbye

The Mets are fucked ....Old Duque is the #1 starter and now he's hurt ....and their hitters tend to swing for the fences too much ....Pitching and plate discipline are the two most important things in playoff baseball and the Mets lack both

The Dodgers are too erratic ...but they have a team full of experienced and hungry vets ..... should be fun watching these dudes win 10-1 one game and lose 10-1 the next

The Padres ....not sure they have the balls to get to the World Series ...

St Louis ...Tony finds a way to fuck shit up every year ....despite their recent troubles St Louis is the best team in the NL ......but ......Tony is their leader

I'm a certified sports junkie and Baseball is my favorite sport so this is the best time of year .......... the Baseball playoffs are better than any other sporting event/playoff/championship ...the final four,Super Bowl,Nba Playoffs,Masters,Wimbledon,Daytona.....etc...etc

that said

GO BLUE !!!

NOMAR IS THE NEW KIRK ..BATCHES !!!

FRANK THOMAS IS A GIANT STEROID

JETER PAINTS HIS FUCKIN NAILS

PIAZZA LIKES BOYS

ALBERT IS AN ILLEGAL

THE REVENGE OF GRADY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I'm basically okay with anybody other than the Yankees or Cardinals winning. I'm a Reds fan so I have to root against the Cardinals, and the Yankees just exemplify a lot of things I hate about baseball. You spend $200 million on your team you *should* get to the damn playoffs. Frankly, I'd love to see any of the other AL teams go to the World Series just because I'd love to see a team with $110-130 million less in payroll whoop the Yankees' collective asses. And honestly, I think the Yankees' pitching is quite vulnerable so I think they're certainly beatable. Once you get past Chien-Ming Wang and *maybe* Mike Mussina (who ain't the Mussina of 10 years ago) who do you have? A gimpy Randy Johnson and his 5.00 ERA? Jaret Wright and his 4.49 ERA? If the Tigers can hit like they're capable of they could beat the Yankees, but we'll see. I have my fingers crossed, anyhow.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Go NOT Yankees!!

Not to get all :5pager: , but

Why do I hear Sox fans say this more than, say, "Go Sox?"

Move on guys...

shit aint a fair fight

I will concede this...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    fukin' cardinals

• 5 for 5.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    And I thought the Tigers had a chance when they got some runs on the board making 5-3.

Jeter straight killed it last night though.

• I took the NY teams against the field to win it all in a bet. Winner gets taken to The Palm for dinner

• I just found out that my friend has tickets for us for Game 2 tonight at Yankee Stadium.

• Tony finds a way to fuck shit up every year

Ain't that the truth. As a young A's fan I loved Tony but in retrospect... he lost a lot of big games. As he had before he got to Oakland and continued to after he left...

I pity the A's if they make it past the Twins... the Yankees are just gonna mow down pretty much anything in their way. I don't even think anyone in the NL can really cope... I mean, that's too much of a lineup to silence. And when their pitching gets shelled they just shell harder... and win in a slugfest.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

the a's have stellar pitching, especially if harden can step up to his cy young caliber ways. yeah the yankees have a stacked lineup, but pitching and defense wins games.

• the a's have stellar pitching, especially if harden can step up to his cy young caliber ways. yeah the yankees have a stacked lineup, but pitching and defense wins games.

As much as I'd like to believe, I think the A's pitching falls a bit short of "stellar"... pitching/defense wins games against normal teams... there's not really a modern model to compare that Yankee lineup to.

the a's have stellar pitching, especially if harden can step up to his cy young caliber ways. yeah the yankees have a stacked lineup, but pitching and defense wins games.

As much as I'd like to believe, I think the A's pitching falls a bit short of "stellar"... pitching/defense wins games against normal teams... there's not really a modern model to compare that Yankee lineup to.

speaking as an a's fan, i honestly think their pitching is sorry. they have 2 competant starters (zito & harden), no relief except for a good setup man (duschererererer), and a good closer. dan haren is all over the place, loaiza is OK at best. jat witasick is ridicilously hittable and halsey

• the yankees are fascists. fuck fascists.
    (fuck facial hair rules.)