MLB Playoffs...Its on BATCHES!

13»

Comments

• No, I wouldn't wag my fist at ANYONE after losing like that; and for a team that, 'only cares about winning the world series,' i'm surprised you are resorting to such small victories.

I don't think it would be a far stretch to believe that someone who would post

the yankees are fascists. fuck fascists.

wouldn't wag their fist in this scenario. Are you trying to tell me you weren't gloating when the Yanks took the dive in '04? Once again

But, enjoy it. $200,000,000 bought a victory over the Red Sox and a humiliating playoff loss. Seems like a fair deal, no?

The Sox's payroll is a lot closer to the Yankees do than Kansas City, Pittsburgh, or Florida as far as spending goes, so I wouldn't get too high and mighty on that point. Both teams have proved that having a high payroll doesn't mean anything, it's all about how that money is spent.

Gloating in '04 was different, as I live in Boston and root for the Sox. So, yes I gloated, because the Red Sox had just swept the yankees in what is the GREATEST CHOKE IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL.

Calling them fascists was mostly related to their facial hair policy...but, hey, it was great when they lost yesterday. BTW, they WERE the better team than the Sox this year. No denying that.

Its one thing to gloat, and then go win it all; it is another to say, "yes, we suck...but YOU suck worse! HA!" That is the sort of smalltime victory that a true Yankee fan like yourself should be above. I call bullshit on your overuse of that graemlin, as well.

Finally, yes, the Red Sox spend a lot. But, the Yankees spend 50% annually than they do. The Yankees payroll is nearly the equivalent of the Numbers 2& 3 teams combined. So, until another team is even in that ballpark, don't talk about how to spend money.

And, the Red Sox HAVE won a WS with a $100 mill payroll.

You have won some AL East titles, though, which means you're better than the Red Sox for the first part of the year- which, if I am to believe what you are bragging about is all that matters to you. Myself? I'm more worried about winning WS titles.

• But at least the Yanks made it farther than the Sox

Come on now. As a Yankees fan you of all people should know that your statement holds zero weight.
    For the Yankees and their fans, it's winning the World Series or nothing.
    If they don't win it all, then the season is a failure. Point blank.
    The Red Sox on the other hand, are blessed (or cursed depending on how you look at it) with nearly perpetual failure, so that any early post season exit (or no post season showing at all) is usually met to some extent with borderline pathetic expectedness.
    You KNOW the Yanks 1st round exit vs. the Sox not even showing up to play is simply no comparison.
    So stop it.

On another note, there's another interesting show coming at Vassar early next month.
    Hit me up if you're interested.

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    Myself? I'm more worried about winning WS titles.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Watching the Tigers carry Leyland off the field on their shoulders gave me chills. What that organization managed to do in the last 3 years and what Leyland himself has done in one season is just incredible and just a great baseball story.

As for the Yankees, one thing I find ironic and funny is how the media who were praising the Yankees a few weeks ago for the quiet, classy, businesslike manner in which they go about winning games, are now falling over themselves to point fingers and say how the Yankees lack that "competitive fire".

I also think it's unfair to blame Joe Torre for not igniting the team. Joe strikes me as the kind of manager who doesn't feel he should have to light a fire under anyone's ass. He does well managing a guy like Derek Jeter, a guy who doesn't need anyone to tell him to show up and play. Give respect, get respect. When you've got a team philosophy that works like that, and you start adding guys like Rodriguez and Sheffield who are high-maintenance, it's gonna break down at some point.

Now people are saying get rid of the overpaid prima donnas and get more team-oriented players, and get rid of Joe Torre and hire a firestarter like Lou Pinella. Well, which is it? It seems to me the whole team philosophy is in crisis.

As a Red Sox fan in Yankee country, I'd love to see Pinella come in. He's guaranteed to generate some ultra-entertaining back page headlines.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    Watching the Tigers carry Leyland off the field on their shoulders gave me chills. What that organization managed to do in the last 3 years and what Leyland himself has done in one season is just incredible and just a great baseball story.

As for the Yankees, one thing I find ironic and funny is how the media who were praising the Yankees a few weeks ago for the quiet, classy, businesslike manner in which they go about winning games, are now falling over themselves to point fingers and say how the Yankees lack that "competitive fire".

I also think it's unfair to blame Joe Torre for not igniting the team. Joe strikes me as the kind of manager who doesn't feel he should have to light a fire under anyone's ass. He does well managing a guy like Derek Jeter, a guy who doesn't need anyone to tell him to show up and play. Give respect, get respect. When you've got a team philosophy that works like that, and you start adding guys like Rodriguez and Sheffield who are high-maintenance, it's gonna break down at some point.

Now people are saying get rid of the overpaid prima donnas and get more team-oriented players, and get rid of Joe Torre and hire a firestarter like Lou Pinella. Well, which is it? It seems to me the whole team philosophy is in crisis.

As a Red Sox fan in Yankee country, I'd love to see Pinella come in. He's guaranteed to generate some ultra-entertaining back page headlines.
    great post!

go redsox in '07!!![/b]

• That sure does seem like a lot of celebrating for an ALDS victory. Tigers better be about their business if they expect to get past the A's is all I'm saying. Props to them though. Esp. Kenny Rogers. WTF?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    ESPN.com had like 20 writers predict the baseball playoffs. Not one said the Tigers would win. Nobody. Almost like last year when I think one or maybe two said the White Sox would win the first round.

Here's hoping that the ALCS is actually a series. The baseball playoffs have been so anticlimatic for the past three years.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    ESPN.com had like 20 writers predict the baseball playoffs. Not one said the Tigers would win. Nobody. Almost like last year when I think one or maybe two said the White Sox would win the first round.

Not a single writer thought that Detroit would get past the first round on ESPN. I told you guys...if the Tigers can take a game in New York, coming back to Detroit was gonna be a whole different series. I never thought Rogers or Bonderman would come out like they would, but wow...amazing... Credit has to be given to Verlander, and Zumaya, and don't count out Robertson. He had one bad inning and thats it. The bats also came through in clutch situations (2 outs man in scoring position).

The series against the A's is going to be good. We have two TEAMS going at it as opposed to a team versus a bunch of over-payed guys that sit on the bench next to each other and take turns trying to hit the ball.

The celebration after the series was probably the happiest thing I've seen happen to Detroit sports in a while. Fans have been waiting for this for SO long and it made me feel good that they came back and celebrated with those people that stuck with them through all those bad years. Yeah...it was a bit excessive...but look at the circumstances. You just knocked out the 'greatest hitting line-up ever assembled'. You just beat the Yankees who, all-in-all, are the comparable team in baseball. You haven't been to the postseason in 19 years. And 3 years ago you were the worst baseball team in the league and only a couple games away from being the worst team in baseball ever. There's reason to celebrate even if they don't make it to the World Series.

Where are the Mets and Cardinals fans? I think that will be a good series as well. I feel St. Louis has the advantage since Pedro and El Duke are out. Thoughts???

Watch out A's fans! Its going down tonight...

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

eat em up tigers

eat em up.

1 more baby.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

eat em up tigers
    eat em up.

MARQUEE>WORLD SERIES FOOLS[/b]/MARQUEE>

• Though this Tigers "destiny" shit is a little blown out of proportion (20 years ain't shit, ask anyone in Chicago), I am glad to see an AL Central team in the October Classic.
    Further proof that the ALC is the most rugged and talented division in all of baseball, and will be for some time.

• Umm...I know that it is the NL, and they are crappy at baseball over there...but, this game 7 is fucking awesome. tune in for the 9th if you haven't been watching.

• quick disclaimers:

1) i know the NL doesn't suck at baseball, but they are down this year. so, NL fans...no need to yell.

2) might want to put on a good record, and turn down the sound. tim mccarver is in the house, and taking no prisoners...listen to him talking about "Eric Chavez." Oh, tim. you meant 'Endy.'

3) and, they have some other guy up there who says everything every 20 minutes; very frightening when he comes out of leftfield (pun intended).

But, other than that, its great.

• oh shit...3-1 birds. nelly must be happy.

• I was at the game last night. It was kind of a bummer that the Mets couldn't get anything going with their bats because the stadium was going crazy. That Endy Chavez catch was incredible.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Though this Tigers "destiny" shit is a little blown out of proportion (20 years ain't shit, ask anyone in Chicago), I am glad to see an AL Central team in the October Classic.
    Further proof that the ALC is the most rugged and talented division in all of baseball, and will be for some time.

I'm rooting for the Tigers but I also know that Kenny Rogers is the biggest choke artist in the history of MLB......Tigers are doomed if it comes down to Mr. Rogers.

• Options
    I was at the game last night. It was kind of a bummer that the Mets couldn't get anything going with their bats because the stadium was going crazy. That Endy Chavez catch was incredible.

I was there too. If they won that game the Chavez catch would have gone down as the greatest catch of all time, and yes that includes the Willie Mays Polo Grounds catch. Dude got TWO curtain calls in between the inning, for a fielding play!! Where were you sitting? I was on the field right by the right-field umpire, two boxes up.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah that catch was pretty unreal. Like UNREASONABLY unreal. Hey Sween!

• That Endy Chavez catch was incredible.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Yeah that catch was pretty unreal. Like UNREASONABLY unreal. Hey Sween!

too bad they didn't win. would have made that catch MVP worthy.