step songs

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Chicago-style stepping (or steppin'), like most dances that were born from the Black-American inspired lindy hop or the jitterbug of the 1920s and 1930s, it has multiple step patterns. It is a kool smooth club dance (ballroom, too!), it is an attitude and a style. It is NOT fast dancing like you might see in salsa, lindy, or the hustle. It's not as tightly "slotted" as the west coast swing (as typically danced) but it is mostly a slotted dance but with some circular and side by side patterns. In general, closed position patterns are few, there are no real kicks or bouncy steps like there are in some swing dances. And most of all is a partner dance, not a line dance and not the college fraternity step (stomp) dancing.

To conclude stepping is a club dance so you will see many things/dance moves thrown into the dance on the dance floor. But, there are many of us in Chicago that try to keep the dance's tradition of being the smoothest dance in town. [I know some stepping (a.k.a. spin-her-rella) instructors have salsa-erized the dance they teach. I think they are one spin away from a backlash from folks that do not like all that spinning and sweating in their sharp outfits.]

GET FAM.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Now the other half of the double pack "U Saved Me" is another story. Wall to wall cheese ballads with soap opera lyrics like only he can do it. I only listen to the first disc.

Isn't U Saved Me the inspirational/gospel album?

A girl I work with was playing this once, and I have to admit I was kinda
    feelin' it. But, I like God music more than many around here.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    hand dancing is ballroom type shit.

step dancing is line dancing. songs can either have explicit directions or be known (beatwise) to be good for step dancing. i usually try not to play the ones with directions. i think those are pretty cheesy. but go ahead and play those at first until you figure out what's going on. they will work. but real heads play something like dazz and get on the mic. step up your family reunion game!

• play something like dazz

so step music is tacky funk?

• Wow, you guys really don't read the threads before you post.

STEP MUSIC = cha cha slide, electric slide, etc = line dancing basically except Black

STEPPERS = Chicago modern soul schitt including some cuts mentioned here recently repopularized by R. Kelly

STEP SHOW = Black Frat stomping dances possibly could be done at the same party as the previous two but not the same thing.

Somewhat embarassing levels of disconnectivity...

• play something like dazz

so step music is tacky funk?

OWWWWW.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

DEEJ comes check these folls pleez.

This thread should not be allowed to continue without deej.

I thought that the reference to "The Percolater" would surely be enough to summon him. Where is the Young Jackmaster?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

DEEJ comes check these folls pleez.

This thread should not be allowed to continue without deej.

I thought that the reference to "The Percolater" would surely be enough to summon him. Where is the Young Jackmaster?

Nevermind: I see he is busy Googling articles about Zach Braff.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Wow, you guys really don't read the threads before you post.

Never not that, son.

• Everytime I listen to "Happy People" by R.Kelly I feel totally disconnected, not knowing what all this "step" mess he's talking about is.

Happy People? So is step music just really bad R&B?

BAN

Percolator is the shit. I need that joint (no hipster-baggeuring)

• A couple semi-recent songs with somewhat of a steppers beat:

Jay Dee the song with Common and D'Angelo from The Shining
    Platinum Pied Pipers with Sa-Ra "Deep Inside"

Those might be the crossover cuts for the hip-hop-slash-steppers crowds.

• Everytime I listen to "Happy People" by R.Kelly I feel totally disconnected, not knowing what all this "step" mess he's talking about is.

Happy People? So is step music just really bad R&B?

BAN

Percolator is the shit. I need that joint (no hipster-baggeuring)

"Perculator" is a house record, albeit one probably played at a lot of steppers and booty house clubs.

• AAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

STEP MUSIC = cha cha slide, electric slide, etc = line dancing basically except Black

STEPPERS = Chicago modern soul schitt including some cuts mentioned here recently repopularized by R. Kelly

STEP SHOW = Black Frat stomping dances possibly could be done at the same party as the previous two but not the same thing.

Thanks, JP. The picture is still somewhat blurry for me, though.

Mesh wrote
    i dont know. they just said they wanted step songs, and asked for a couple of jams like the cha cha slide, and[/b] the r. kelly joints.
    in one of his earlier posts.

So I'm still a wee bit confused. And admittedly disconnected. Hey, I'm on the other side of the planet . Just trying to get a clearer picture.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Somewhat embarassing levels of disconnectivity...

GET FAM

• OMG, this is on page 2?!

• for any dc area folks: is stepping at all related to the cd series that the dealer who used to hang out memory lane put out? it was called "hand clappers" or something and i thought it was a reference to a reddings(?) song maybe. i remember them being wildly popular with the WHUR demographic, but i never peeped one.