step songs

meshmesh 925 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
so i dj'ed this party last night. i thought i had what they needed coming into the jam. the guy who booked us had seen us at a bar a couple of weeks ago and was diggin our set. classic hip hop and R&B, disco, boogie, a little moder, a little funk. so we get there, and everything is pretty cool. but then after an hour or so, they start asking for step songs. i am mad cuz i had no idea what the fuck they were talking about. luckily, the other dj had the cha cha slide. wow.outside of a wedding, or maybe a middle school dance, i have never seen a reaction to a song like that. i mean, people were falling out of the sky to dance to that shit. it was crazy. so then they start bringin us cd's of other step songs. is their like a whole genre of step tracks i have no idea about? that was a lame story, but i wanted to see how many other people here know about step tracks...

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Dude.

What the fuck is a step song? It seems I am also

Can you give me any examples of what your mate played that these "people" considered to be a step song?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    that step show shit is LARGE in $mond. I'd always hear the Q Dogs practicing across from my house on Harrison. You play any gogo, Joe? did it take you 7 hours to get home? HIGH 5!!!

• I guess tiffs aren't supported by soulstrut, so you'll have to go to the link to see an itunes collection of stepper's songs.
    http://www.missouri.edu/~bar54e/steppers.tiff

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Funny, I had been thinking of starting a steppers thread too, because I'm having trouble figuring out precisely what this subgenre tag covers. Everytime I listen to "Happy People" by R.Kelly I feel totally disconnected, not knowing what all this "step" mess he's talking about is.

What is steppers soul? What are some typical examples of the genre?

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    HIGH 5!!!

only took 6 hours HIGH 5!!!!

yeah, we played plenty of go go as well. that went over pretty well. but nothing like the step songs.

ok, step songs are the joints where they are all "take two steps to the front, now shake that ass, and jump back, and jump back, now swing to the right..." etc. they are giving direction to the crowd to do a certain dance. think electric slide but for an entirely black audience.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    there were some old posts about steppers classics... not sure if they are the same thing, but it sounds like it.

there was a Sexual Healing steppers remix that was kinda big I think.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What is steppers soul? What are some typical examples of the genre?

CALLING DEEJ - REP YO LOCAL BLACK EXP!!!!!!!!!

Holiday - Change
    Jermaine Jackson - Sittin On The Edge Of My Mind

• Damn, I'm kinda surprised a lot of y'all ain't up on this.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Damn, I'm kinda surprised a lot of y'all ain't up on this.

like i said, i'm

i usually play clubs and bars. if i was to play one of these songs for my usual crowd, it would be the definition of

• Damn, I'm kinda surprised a lot of y'all ain't up on this.

Exactly - who didn't grown up on reading reviews at Steppers HQ aka
    ?

• they are giving direction to the crowd to do a certain dance. think electric slide but for an entirely black audience.

i don't know if the electric slide is off limits

2 weeks ago i got requests for step songs from a guy and when i the guy named cha-cha slide and the electric slide...i told him i had the perculator and he gave me a

i don't think the perculator suguestion was completly though cuase 2 years ago i was at this party when the perculator dropped and people went CRAZY stepping all over the place to it, it was indeed time for the perculator

• LOL...We're talking about two different things. I'm referring to what Mesh initial post was about (songs like Cha Cha Slide, Electric Slide, etc,.)

I think at least once a year, ever since I was 8 years old, I did the Electric Slide. Whether it was at a BBQ, club, dance, or at a community function, I was getting it in.

• 2 weeks ago i got requests for step songs from a guy and when i the guy named cha-cha slide and the electric slide...i told him i had the perculator and he gave me a

That's because their different.

• This all sounds a lot like line/square dancing.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    This all sounds a lot like line/square dancing.

Word. This whole 'step' thing just sounds like another term for line dancing

Not at all related to 'steppers' soul shit

• meshmesh 925 Posts

another term for line dancing

pretty much. but they called it step.

another term for line dancing

pretty much. but they called it step.

Do some homework. This shit has been around for more than 20 yrs. R.Kelly just brought it to the masses recently. The Source ran a decent article on Steppin' a minute ago.

• I thought the guy that was requesting songs from Mesh wanted STEP SHOW music--like "Atomic Dog."

He wanted Steppers stuff? Is that also called "Step Music" or is it just called "Steppers Music"?

I am

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i dont know. they just said they wanted step songs, and asked for a couple of jams like the cha cha slide, and the r. kelly joints.

appherently we need to do some homework on this....

• far from an expert on the subject, I believe the Stepper scene is out of Chicago and has been around since the 70s, no?

Yeah, peep dusty groove for examples of step classics. Generally, they're bouncy soul numbers with a steady beat and romantic vocals.

R. Kelly's "Step in the name of love (remix)" is the only stepper I have consistently in my crates, but it gets the job done.

• sounds like we are all disconnected

• Everytime I listen to "Happy People" by R.Kelly I feel totally disconnected, not knowing what all this "step" mess he's talking about is.

Happy People? So is step music just really bad R&B?

• then what's hand dance ?
    (electric slide/dc related ?)

can't we just spin the madison ?

• starvue- bodyfusion

• I am confused. I could of swore that this thread was about schitt like the Electric Slide. Where is all this Chicago steppers stuff coming from?
    IT'S NOT THE SAME!!!

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    yeah, it was supposed to be about shit like electric slide. i guess i confused everybody with the whole "step" name. but thats what the people at the party called it, so thats why i called it that.

• yeah, it was supposed to be about shit like electric slide. i guess i confused everybody with the whole "step" name. but thats what the people at the party called it, so thats why i called it that.

looks like step music & hand dance are, maybe the same
    (regional differences ?)
    step coming from the synchro step dance/march crews ?

or a 60's dance ?

but not river dance ?

now , what's up with that uk reggae "steppers" sound

man, i'm confused &

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Everytime I listen to "Happy People" by R.Kelly I feel totally disconnected, not knowing what all this "step" mess he's talking about is.

Don't front on the Urrrah. "Happy People" is really good, albeit a bit monotonous with the consistent step (I presume) groove through the whole cd. Now the other half of the double pack "U Saved Me" is another story. Wall to wall cheese ballads with soap opera lyrics like only he can do it. I only listen to the first disc.

Now, I still need a crystal clear definition on what the deal is with step/steppers. I'm confused too.

Everytime I listen to "Happy People" by R.Kelly I feel totally disconnected, not knowing what all this "step" mess he's talking about is.

Don't front on the Urrrah. "Happy People" is really good, albeit a bit monotonous with the consistent step (I presume) groove through the whole cd. Now the other half of the double pack "U Saved Me" is another story. Wall to wall cheese ballads with soap opera lyrics like only he can do it. I only listen to the first disc.

Now, I still need a crystal clear definition on what the deal is with step/steppers. I'm confused too.

Lets get beyond R.Kelly.
    There's a scene in Love Jones where cats are Steppin to James Brown - Hot Pants.
    Shit is real.

DEEJ comes check these folls pleez.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I am confused. I could of swore that this thread was about schitt like the Electric Slide. Where is all this Chicago steppers stuff coming from?
    IT'S NOT THE SAME!!!

I thought we were taling on some George Clinton - Atomic dog Step squad type stuff?

Little known Adam fact - I was on West covina Highs step squad for 2 weeks my junior year. find a photo or footage and I will keel you