BEYONCE "SUGAR MAMA", BATCHES

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited February 2016 in Music Talk

What's the verdict?" I love the retro funk 45s beats!!!!!!!!! "" More boring Rich Harrison old sounding beats- I'll pass. "Personally, I like it (of course).People hatin' on the "B-Day" album pretty bad already... haven't peeped the whole thing yet, but I'm diggin' what I've heard so far. This, "Upgrade You", "Ring The Alarm", even "Deja Vu"... I ain't mad at 'em at all. I'm probably not in touch with what the kids are bangin' in the streetz, though, and the kids opinions are all that really matter whenever discussing music.

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Yo, I'm feeling that.

• " I love the retro funk 45s beats!!!!!!!!! "

" More boring Rich Harrison old sounding beats- I'll pass. "

Personally, I like it (of course).

It's Dope !!!

• meshmesh 925 Posts

" I love the retro funk 45s beats!!!!!!!!! "

i like this. better than ring the alarm IMO. that ones growing on me though.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    The drum programming is w.w.w.wack

I guess this is ok if you compare it to the pussycat dolls and stuff like that , I would have rather heard a live drummer behind this as opposed to the programming.. it's the kicks that kill me.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Sorry Phill, shit is zero creativity, got the OG somewhere. The work on the sample is really bad.
    Please, someone ask her to call me, I'll show her.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    it sounds fake.....

choreographed funk aint funky

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    So far 4 yea, 3 nay. Soulstrut is so diversified! Keep those votes coming!

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I dropped 'Ring The Alarm' in the club the other night and it was definitely

But i'm feeling 'Deja Vu' and this one is nice too.
    If finally we're shying away from Triton beats and putting some more soul back, i'm all for it.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Shit's hot.

Beyonce over Jake Wade is cool in my book.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    HOT. I'm feelin' it.

I guess I'm one of the few who notice how weak the drums are on this tune? If the drums aren't right, I almost never like a track.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Nothing wrong with this at all. Best thing I've heard from the album so far.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I guess I'm one of the few who notice how weak the drums are on this tune? If the drums aren't right, I almost never like a track.

son, those drums are hot.

the track is just okay though.

• the track is just okay

If by hot you mean steaming garbage, then yes they are very hot.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

What's the big problem with the drums anyway? Too stiff and drum machiney for your liking? I thought you had to make it that way these days in order for the kids to be able to relate to it. Handclaps pretty much necessary as well.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

What's the big problem with the drums anyway? Too stiff and drum machiney for your liking? I thought you had to make it that way these days in order for the kids to be able to relate to it. Handclaps pretty much necessary as well

That's it, Phill.
    Compared to the other bullshits released here and there, this sounds ok.

But If you ask me what I think about it I'd tell you, I hate it, that's weak.

This kind of beat is in the same vein (DUNNO, YO!) of that girl, I forgot her name, who sampled the Meters to make a heat, then after another girl sampled the Moon People, and now Beyonce... that sucks.

The production work is really poor!
    I don't care about the name of the dude who made it, what he made before that, how many $$$ he spent for that... that sucks.

The only positive thing is that The Meters and the others -hopefully- we'll be paid for that.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

And if I was a label owner (today) and a girl, even Beyonce, come to me to make me hear this shit, I won't sign her.

LOL

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    to make a heat

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

What's the big problem with the drums anyway? Too stiff and drum machiney for your liking? I thought you had to make it that way these days in order for the kids to be able to relate to it. Handclaps pretty much necessary as well

That's it, Phill.

This kind of beat is in the same vein (DUNNO, YO!) of that girl, I forgot her name, who sampled the Meters to make a heat, then after another girl sampled the Moon People, and now Beyonce... that sucks.

I don't care about the name of the dude who made it, what he made before that, how many $$$ he spent for that... that sucks.

The only positive thing is that The Meters and the others -hopefully- we'll be paid for that.

Conversely, what I like about it (and about Rich Harrison joints generally, for that matter) is the fact that he's done relatively little with the sample; just added some drums and keys, and that's about it. Sometimes, it's the simplest, most basic shit that works best (Sucker MCs, PSK). It certainly worked for "Crazy In Love", and if it ain't broke...

I dunno. I think that, for whatever reason, people sometimes get a little too hung up on what are perceived to be the finer points of shit like this - whether the producer freaked the sample in the right way, how obscure the sample is, whether or not there should be some sort of law against flipping funk raers for Beyonce/Xtina/Amerie beats in the first place. All I know is that, when I hear something like this over a decent system (which I hope to do this Saturday evening at The Rub ), or blasting out of someone's ride, it's probably going to knock like fuck. In which case, it's doing precisely the job it's intended for.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

That's it, Phill.

Conversely, what I like about it (and about Rich Harrison joints generally, for that matter) is the fact that he's done relatively little with the sample; just added some drums and keys, and that's about it. Sometimes, it's the simplest, most basic shit that works best (Sucker MCs, PSK). It certainly worked for "Crazy In Love", and if it ain't broke...

I dunno. I think that, for whatever reason, people sometimes get a little too hung up on what are perceived to be the finer points of shit like this - whether the producer freaked the sample in the right way, how obscure the sample is, whether or not there should be some sort of law against flipping funk raers for Beyonce/Xtina/Amerie beats in the first place. All I know is that, when I hear something like this over a decent system (which I hope to do this Saturday evening at The Rub ), or blasting out of someone's ride, it's probably going to knock like fuck. In which case, it's doing precisely the job it's intended for.

Ok, so say thanks to the engineer.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

the track is just okay

but this is

What's the big problem with the drums anyway? Too stiff and drum machiney for your liking? I thought you had to make it that way these days in order for the kids to be able to relate to it. Handclaps pretty much necessary as well.

They feel too stiff to me , that is probably the main thing. This song just seems like a very uncreative track that didn't really need to be made. I like her vocals though. I think the bass and guitar stuff could be louder too, is this a final version?

Certain tracks call for the stiff drum programming style, but when there is a funky ass live break behind them the feel is wrong.

handclaps =

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    *sniffs air*
    What's that smell....patchouli?
    No, hmmm.
    Oh!
    It???s salty bedroom producer!
    That's it!

Enjoy the track for what it is, don't lament for what it could be.

• *sniffs air*
    What's that smell....patchouli?
    No, hmmm.
    Oh!
    It???s salty bedroom producer!
    That's it!

seriously. This isn't directed at say Catalist but there's a lot of uptight salty-as-fuck BLAZING DOWNTEMPO producers on here that just love to tear shit down when it comes to stuff like this. You type of dudes need to listen to this shit with who made it and who it's intended for in mind.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Is it an advice or something like that?

Here's my answer.

Dude, PERSONALLY , I was on the boards reading some posts and saw Phill's one.

He asked a question, as I'm part of the Strutters, I thought I'd answer and give my point of view, ok?

I'm don't lament for what that "song" could be, nah!
    I'm trying to show you how is build this kind of product.
    And, by doing this, I'm trying to show you how weak it is, that's all.

And to close the "discussion", I think having your attitude is way to easy.
    I mean, you take what the industry gives you and live with it...
    You're a clown.

PASUE

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

seriously. This isn't directed at say Catalist but there's a lot of uptight salty-as-fuck BLAZING DOWNTEMPO producers on here that just love to tear shit down when it comes to stuff like this. You type of dudes need to listen to this shit with who made it and who it's intended for in mind.

Who are you talking to?

• seriously. This isn't directed at say Catalist but there's a lot of uptight salty-as-fuck BLAZING DOWNTEMPO producers on here that just love to tear shit down when it comes to stuff like this. You type of dudes need to listen to this shit with who made it and who it's intended for in mind.

Who are you talking to?

I never really bother to remember their names but they're usually like to upload some b-boy break ping pong match up in the same thread. They're usually from Europe or New York or something.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

And if I was a label owner (today) and a girl, even Beyonce, come to me to make me hear this shit, I won't sign her.

LOL

Aaahh!!!

PS/ She's a great singer!

{I got a call from his agent, for a beat}