The Office

PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Any "The Office" fans?I really do apologise if this has been posted but I hope not.These are two training videos for Microsoft employees with Ricky Gervais as David Brent in them as well as Stephen Merchant, quite long aswell which is nice These are apparently real videos they sent to the employees for a bit of fun I guess.http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9076288729387457440http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=959125392868390030

Comments

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Any "The Office" fans?

yes.

legendary: gareth, what is your ultimate fantasy?

"two lesbians, probably sisters, i'm just watching..."

• Any "The Office" fans?

US or UK ? Ive seen the english one a few times and its

never seen the us abomination, is it ?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Any "The Office" fans?

Agreed somewhat. I think the US one is just a different show. They "americanized" it. Lots of people swear by the US one, probably because they never saw the UK version.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i saw the pilot of the US version, which was just a copy of the first episode of the British version, and thought it was abyssmal...in fact I didn't watch it again it until the last few episodes of the second season. But now I'm hooked, the US version is very different but it's great in its own way. I like how the background characters are fleshed out more...that said I don't see how the US version can go on any longer than this upcoming season.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    i saw the pilot of the US version, which was just a copy of the first episode of the British version, and thought it was abyssmal...in fact I didn't watch it again it until the last few episodes of the second season. But now I'm hooked, the US version is very different but it's great in its own way. I like how the background characters are fleshed out more...that said I don't see how the US version can go on any longer than this upcoming season.

I like both US and UK versions. It took the US version a few more episodes to really hit it's stride, but the second season has been really good. The UK version gets OG points, plus it only lasted 2 seasons plus the specials so it told a really well contained story arc, plus Ricky Gervais is a lot funnier than Steve Correll (who is still quite funny). Apparently there's now a French version of the Office now, I'd really like to see this.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

"Are you working on any sort of robocop?" Awesome.

• i saw the pilot of the US version, which was just a copy of the first episode of the British version, and thought it was abyssmal...in fact I didn't watch it again it until the last few episodes of the second season. But now I'm hooked, the US version is very different but it's great in its own way. I like how the background characters are fleshed out more...that said I don't see how the US version can go on any longer than this upcoming season.

I like both US and UK versions. It took the US version a few more episodes to really hit it's stride, but the second season has been really good. The UK version gets OG points, plus it only lasted 2 seasons plus the specials so it told a really well contained story arc, plus Ricky Gervais is a lot funnier than Steve Correll (who is still quite funny). Apparently there's now a French version of the Office now, I'd really like to see this.

No, believe me, you don't. It's terrible. Even worse than the american.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Gareth Invetigates.

How funny is the "If You Don't Know Me By Now" video??

Haven't seen The Replacements yet.....anyone?

the best part of the British Office was the episode where they're all out at the bar and that lady's hitting on Gareth, and then it turns out she wants him to join a threesome with her and her husband, and he's all disgusted and outraged, and then during the credits at the end you see him riding in the sidecar of their motorcycle. the look on his face is priceless.

"He's thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?"

• Foregone Conclusion:

"Rose you never used your thorns, the ones you love abandoned you,
    Your angel face made hearts so warm, you helped the poor but who helped you?...

...AND RUSHING THROUGH THE PARIS NIGHT, THEY HOUNDED YOU YOU LOST CONTROL,
    WE PRAYED THAT YOU WOULD BE ALRIGHT, THE NEWS CAME THROUGH YOUR BODY CO-O-OLD.
    "

the best part of the British Office was the episode where they're all out at the bar and that lady's hitting on Gareth, and then it turns out she wants him to join a threesome with her and her husband, and he's all disgusted and outraged, and then during the credits at the end you see him riding in the sidecar of their motorcycle. the look on his face is priceless.

I thought I had the twist to Gareth's pursuit of that woman figured out. When she's all nuzzling up on him, and then the dude who turns out to be her husband looks at Gareth and kind of nods at him, I thought for sure dude was the woman's pimp. I like the way it actually played out better than the way I had it read.

Also, I find Gareth's fascination with handjobs inherently funny.

"she's dead"

"she's not dead"

"she's dead"

"she's not dead"

Is "Free Love Freeway" any stupider than anything R Kelly has ever written? No, it is not. Which is sort of awesome.

"I've opened your eyes--you're all color blind." Racial.

• Ass-faced weasel or a weasel-faced ass?

Weasel I suppose.

• "...Don't make the mistake of what I call the anti-laugh."

Foregone Conclusion:

"Rose you never used your thorns, the ones you love abandoned you,
    Your angel face made hearts so warm, you helped the poor but who helped you?...

...AND RUSHING THROUGH THE PARIS NIGHT, THEY HOUNDED YOU YOU LOST CONTROL,
    WE PRAYED THAT YOU WOULD BE ALRIGHT, THE NEWS CAME THROUGH YOUR BODY CO-O-OLD.
    "

http://www.wernhamhogg.co.uk/guitartabs.html

• I just got cable.
    There's this documentary on TLC called The Man Who's Arms Exploded.
    Shit is absolutely insane.
    This Greg Valentino dude is challenging the ZZZZZZ boobjob freaks for ultimate body distortion.
    His arms straight get juiced to the point of explosion.
    Must be seen to be believed.
    W. T. F.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

No, believe me, you don't. It's terrible. Even worse than the american.

How do you know?? It's not even through production yet!! I know because I'm doing some of the audio mixing on it. It's called Le Job.

• Options
    Any "The Office" fans?

Kind of funny you label it an "abomination" after saying you've never seen it, then go on to ask if it's good.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    congrats to the best network comedy right now for being recognized

hopefully, this will help out with their ratings, not that winning the emmy gave arrested development any boost

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Almost forgot, there is also a German version of The Office called Stromberg. In the first episodes they did not even mention that it??s a lame duplicate of The Office. Anyway, the OG is straight

Stromberg? dude.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Thanks for posting this, kept me entertained for a while in work. The original is definately the best for me but then im english. When i 1st saw the american 1 i but having seen a few episodes i realised its pretty damn funny.
    The english haters need to just approach this as an individual show & stop making comparisons between the english 1.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Just watched the first season of Extras, which is also

• Oh, ok. When I lived in France this spring I caught a glimpse (like 5-10 minutes) of this show which seemed to be a slavish imititation of The Office; the same environment, an embarrasing boss, same kind of jokes et cetera. Maybe it was just a sneak preview, or a different show alltogether. Anyway, I didn't find it funny at all.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    How do you know?? It's not even through production yet!! I know because I'm doing some of the audio mixing on it. It's called Le Job.
    What you know about that : Le Bureau

• Yep, that's the show, on Canal+. For a moment I thought I was suffering from Korsakoffs syndrome. Thanks SLurg for clearing that up.

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    I quite like the American Office I saw the first season and Carell is just a funny dude.