Spencer Davis Group Appreciation

2»

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

Still wondering what some jiveass Satanic metal band from the 70's (Black Sabbath) has to do with a garagey white-soul band from the 60's (Davis). You know the thread's been derailed when people start bringing up bands with absolutely nothing in common!! "So necessary," huh?

they were a "white (British) guys playing blues based rock" or whatever, and they didn't suck in the slightest. is that really that hard to figure out?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Still wondering what some jiveass Satanic metal band from the 70's (Black Sabbath) has to do with a garagey white-soul band from the 60's (Davis). You know the thread's been derailed when people start bringing up bands with absolutely nothing in common!! "So necessary," huh?

they were a "white (British) guys playing blues based rock" or whatever, and they didn't suck in the slightest.

Thats me off in the corner disagreeing (and the Spencer Davis Group always seemed more soulish, anyway - at least during the Stevie Winwood years).

is that really that hard to figure out?

Well, it's even harder to figure out the blues influence in their music. "Iron Man?" "Paranoid?" Where the blues at? If it's there, it's only because they were influenced by somebody who was influenced by somebody who was influenced by somebody else in the blues realm, but it doesn't sound direct.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Well yeah I guess they went their own way quickly but the first album sounds very blues based to me, songs like "Warning", "Wicked World", etc. And the earlier demos are even moreso. I'm just saying if you're going to write off the whole British blues based rock genre like Zeppelin etc you've gotta write off Sabbath too which is ludicrous IMO. Annnyyyway it doesn't really matter so moving on!