Spencer Davis Group Appreciation

DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
My roomate just got a dvd of Spencer Davis and co. Early Steve Winwood continues to get me everytime. We were pretty skeptical going into "Georgia On My Mind" but he killed it. Anyone have an album to reccomend by them? This weekend was my first real exposure.

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I love these guys (er, early Steve Winwood anyway), my dad used to play some truck stop tape 'best of' on road trips when i was a kid.

I have this one, its a great comp but i'm not v. familiar with their discography beyond it.
    http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:3mkku3y5an1k

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I'm A Man is easy to find and good place to start. I found Heavy this weekend and was just listening to it as you posted this. That's a good record too. Overall the Fontana and UA stuff is solid, but you'll notice they were a "singles" band. IMO most of the LPs have a lot of filler. Always look out for mono copies of the 45s.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Good look both ways. Thanks guys. i didnt see the whole DVD yet, so i am going to try to lineup what i pick up based on those tracks.

i am thinking of catching Winwood when he comes around in October. A bunch of friends saw him over the winter and despite "Higher Love" said he was incredible. Apparently he doesn't even bring a bassist and just holds it down with the foot pedals on the organ.

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    We were pretty skeptical going into "Georgia On My Mind" but he killed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Q-Ewmekkg&mode=related&search=

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    As far as lps go just get a compilation of early singles, so much good stuff. I hadn't listened to them for a while but put on that early comp of their's called "The Best Of The Spencer Davis Group" (white cover, all the song titles listed on the top & then a small pic of the band at the bottom, you know the one, it's everywhere for cheap). Anyways, I had forgot just how strong alot of their stuff was. Way cool.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    We were pretty skeptical going into "Georgia On My Mind" but he killed it.

Yes! That's the one from the dvd. Nice call.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Some other cool stuff to look for:

- "Dimples," this INSANE live track where you can hear Stevie wailing for days even though his microphone was off. (Either that, or the live recording unit wasn't set up properly.) One of his finest performances, and the fact that his voice sounds so distant kinda adds to it. This turns up on quite a few of those Trip/Springboard compilations from the 70's, like 16 Rock Guitar Greats, Rock Vocal Greats and (I think) Winwood & Friends.

- "High Time Baby," this early single on Atco. I think this appears on some UK Spencer Davis compilation; I'd play it out at one of my soul nights, except that my Atco 45 is SHOT.

Yeah, the SDG were a tight band in their time. I NEVER get tired of "Gimme Some Lovin'" no matter how much oldies radio plays it. Somewhere in my files I have a pic of myself with Davis at some county fair in suburban IL; he was playing an oldies revue with Mark Lindsay, Mitch Ryder, and Rare Earth (only one original member, and that was the sax player). No, Davis doesn't have the superlungs that Winwood does, but he got through it just fine.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'm sorry, but I have to hatt... SDG/steve winwood, and pretty much the whole "I'm a white man playing the real folk blues in rock band form" (with a very few exceptions) is just gross. And even if you can stomach it, there is is way better shit that Spencer Davis. I realize this undermines the whole foundation of geezer rock, and that early stuff like SDG begot such giant terds as Led Zeppelin and canned heat, but really, music would have been better off if these wankers had stayed in their skiffle groups.

• I'm sorry, but I have to hatt... SDG/steve winwood, and pretty much the whole "I'm a white man playing the real folk blues in rock band form" (with a very few exceptions) is just gross. And even if you can stomach it, there is is way better shit that Spencer Davis. I realize this undermines the whole foundation of geezer rock, and that early stuff like SDG begot such giant terds as Led Zeppelin and canned heat, but really, music would have been better off if these wankers had stayed in their skiffle groups.

So Jeff, you're basically writing off the entire British R&B movement?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    "Keep on Running" came up on shuffle a few minutes ago...anyway I like SDG, I guess I don't automatically write musicians off just because of their race or genre...

I'm sorry, but I have to hatt... SDG/steve winwood, and pretty much the whole "I'm a white man playing the real folk blues in rock band form" (with a very few exceptions) is just gross. And even if you can stomach it, there is is way better shit that Spencer Davis. I realize this undermines the whole foundation of geezer rock, and that early stuff like SDG begot such giant terds as Led Zeppelin and canned heat, but really, music would have been better off if these wankers had stayed in their skiffle groups.

convince me that I'm sleeping.

I like the trashy stuff like early stones/early pretty things, but even that stuff has started to wear on me. I mean, aside from bloated guitar wizards, what really came of all that brit blues? Not a lot in the way of original ideas, IMO...

• I'm sorry, but I have to hatt... SDG/steve winwood, and pretty much the whole "I'm a white man playing the real folk blues in rock band form" (with a very few exceptions) is just gross. And even if you can stomach it, there is is way better shit that Spencer Davis. I realize this undermines the whole foundation of geezer rock, and that early stuff like SDG begot such giant terds as Led Zeppelin and canned heat, but really, music would have been better off if these wankers had stayed in their skiffle groups.

I like the trashy stuff like early stones/early pretty things, but even that stuff has started to wear on me. I mean, aside from bloated guitar wizards, what really came of all that brit blues? Not a lot in the way of original ideas, IMO...

You can blame the Brit R&B scene for spawning all kinds of crap, progrock, bloated arena spew etc, but great music can also stand on it's own. Stones, Pretties, Animals, Birds etc all rock, as does early Winwood (SDG and Traffic included). Arise from your murky sea of hermet-like, basement folk-psychers and come out into the daylight son.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    So if you like a certain kind of music and celebrate it, its ok, but if you play it you are a heathen? During those years there was a lot of covering of modern (at that time) songs by artists of many styles and backgrounds. i'm not saying the way it was all done and handled is admirable, but i don't think likening that whole era / genre to white people stealing music or simply imitating it is completely on point.

I don't personally think all music in the "White guy ripping off the music of others is good" era is great, Zeppelin alone has a handful of snoozers, but i don't think where you're coming from is quite fair.

You can blame the Brit R&B scene for spawning all kinds of crap, progrock, bloated arena spew etc, but great music can also stand on it's own. Stones, Pretties, Animals, Birds etc all rock, as does early Winwood (SDG and Traffic included). Arise from your murky sea of hermet-like, basement folk-psychers and come out into the daylight son.

hsnap:

OK... I love the stones.

Animals: did some great stuff when they kept it more pop. The stuff where they try to sound like john lee hooker is fucking embarassing.

Pretties: great - but they dropped the blues schtick early.

The yardbirds were taking the blues influence in a really neat direction for like a minute - around the time they were in blow up. But I'm not a fan of page or beck aside from that.

Brit folk influenced stuff and psych are another thing entirely and I'm down with it completely.

Please to know I'm not making this a "race thing". I also really hate black guys playing "rocked up" blues. The blues rock marriage is just something that should not be, IMO - and it got REALLY UGLY on into the 70's. Led Zep are awful crap. yes I really think so.

And yes, I am mad doggie!

hsnap:

OK... I love the stones.

Animals: did some great stuff when they kept it more pop. The stuff where they try to sound like john lee hooker is fucking embarassing.

Pretties: great - but they dropped the blues schtick early.

The yardbirds were taking the blues influence in a really neat direction for like a minute - around the time they were in blow up. But I'm not a fan of page or beck aside from that.

Brit folk influenced stuff and psych are another thing entirely and I'm down with it completely.

I must respectfully disagree on the subject of the Animals, Pretties and Yardbirds, all groups that were proficient in blues-ploitation as well as pop (keeping in mind that much of the Animals and Yardbirds best pop stuff was written by folks outside of the bands).

I mean, you may not dig the Animals take on JLH, but to be perfectly honest, they were NOT JLH, and I suspect that most of the folks here know and can appreciate the difference. I love Fairport Convention, Vashti Bunyan et al, but I'd never mistake them for actual medieval lute pluckers, highwaymen or travelling gypsies . It's a matter of musical interpretation. I suppose if you dig the Pretties but turn your nose up at Hooker, you deserve a solid kick in the ass but if that's your bag you probably have other problems as well...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    What do you think of CCR?

I love Fairport Convention, Vashti Bunyan et al, but I'd never mistake them for actual medieval lute pluckers, highwaymen or travelling gypsies

but wouldn't you agree that these artists were more "connected to tha feudal system" than they were to migrant southern blues men going electic in chicago? huh? huh?

• I love Fairport Convention, Vashti Bunyan et al, but I'd never mistake them for actual medieval lute pluckers, highwaymen or travelling gypsies

but wouldn't you agree that these artists were more "connected to tha feudal system" than they were to migrant southern blues men going electic in chicago? huh? huh?

No. All upper middle class types. Even Vashti had a brief - failed - career as a pop singer before she hitched up her wagon and rode off into the moors for 35 years....BTW, I don't think anyone on the UK R&B scene ever claimed anything like an actual connection to Parchman Farm or parts thereabouts. They just loved the music.

I love Fairport Convention, Vashti Bunyan et al, but I'd never mistake them for actual medieval lute pluckers, highwaymen or travelling gypsies

No. All upper middle class types. Even Vashti had a brief - failed - career as a pop singer before she hitched up her wagon and rode off into the moors for 35 years....BTW, I don't think anyone on the UK R&B scene ever claimed anything like an actual connection to Parchman Farm or parts thereabouts. They just loved the music.

hahaha! damn, you are too sound in your arguments.

Don't you have some denuding to do so I can hatt on the brittish blues in peace?

• I love Fairport Convention, Vashti Bunyan et al, but I'd never mistake them for actual medieval lute pluckers, highwaymen or travelling gypsies

hahaha! damn, you are too sound in your arguments.

Don't you have some denuding to do so I can hatt on the brittish blues in peace?

Thanks for the reminder. Let the denuding begin! Tally ho!

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Please to know I'm not making this a "race thing". I also really hate black guys playing "rocked up" blues. The blues rock marriage is just something that should not be, IMO - and it got REALLY UGLY on into the 70's. Led Zep are awful crap. yes I really think so.

And yes, I am mad doggie!

Mostly agree with you there. It's hard to draw a line for me, because i really like a good electric blues solo, but that stuff got way wayyy out of hand. And much of the blues aspect of bands like Zep, Stones, et al are a big turn off to me.

i mistook what direction you were coming from and am pretty relived this thread hasn't gone the way of the 'real' or 'experience', carry the hell on.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

Still wondering what some jiveass Satanic metal band from the 70's (Black Sabbath) has to do with a garagey white-soul band from the 60's (Davis). You know the thread's been derailed when people start bringing up bands with absolutely nothing in common!! "So necessary," huh?

What do you think of CCR?

Don't see exactly what they have in common with the Spencer Davis Group, either, but they were a damn fine swamp rock band!!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I'm sorry, but I have to hatt... SDG/steve winwood, and pretty much the whole "I'm a white man playing the real folk blues in rock band form"

You don't think that describes CCR to some degree?

I'm sorry, but I have to hatt... SDG/steve winwood, and pretty much the whole "I'm a white man playing the real folk blues in rock band form"

You don't think that describes CCR to some degree?

To be honest, I don't even think that describes the SDG (with Steve Winwood). Both bands seemed a little more genuine in their own ways. As far as CCR, I never thought of them as a white blues band. I think of them as just an all-around roots-rock band (before that term existed). Remember, the blues influence was there, but they had a serious country/rockabilly influence going on as well. They weren't Foghat.

When I think of white rockish bastardizations of blues, I think of (yeah, I'm gonna say it) Janis Joplin. Don't really get it with her.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Of course, SDG have the interesting element of finding
    success by working with Jackie Edwards, and bringing the
    bass-heavy influence of Jamaican music into British beat music.

This also opens another avenue of exploitation/ripping off charges,
    especially with the presence of Chris "Island Records" Blackwell AKA
    "The Vampire," but I think it is also what sets some of SDG's best work
    apart from the pack - and Jackie was able to parlay SDG's success into
    international success of his own.

I'm sorry, but I have to hatt... SDG/steve winwood, and pretty much the whole "I'm a white man playing the real folk blues in rock band form" (with a very few exceptions) is just gross.

Not to split hairs here, but...even though the SDG did the occasional blues cover, they seemed closer to soul than blues. They were on a whole different trip than, say, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers.

And even if you can stomach it, there is is way better shit that Spencer Davis.

I'm almost afraid to ask WHAT better shit he thinks there is (in the white blues/R&B vein) than Spencer Davis...afraid he might say some latter-day Woodstock/classic rock embarrassment like Joe Cocker or Janis Joplin or something.