Dumb sh-- said while drunk = doesn't really count?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
My favorite quote during this whole Mel Gibson debacle: "I blame the disease, not the man" which is just a variation of "he's not an anti-Semite, he just says crazy ass shit when he's drunk." Mind you - I don't drink and I've never been drunk so I can't speak on the social etiquette of this situation from personal experience...but in general, is being drunk (or an alcoholic) really some kind of get-out-jail-free card when you say things while inebriated? Does being drunk lower your inhibitations so that, in a sense, you're actually speaking what you really feel vs. putting up your social guard? Therefore, isn't what one would say drunk more of a confirmation of "true feelings" than what's said sober?

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Does being drunk lower your inhibitations so that, in a sense, you're actually speaking what you really feel vs. putting up your social guard? Therefore, isn't what one would say drunk more of a confirmation of "true feelings" than what's said sober?

After a few drinks, yes, it's called liquid courage... after a lot of drinks, what's said can be completely random. Take this example:

My friend passed out on our futon after a long day of drinking. So naturally we decided to saran wrap him to the futon. So he's head to toe wrapped in saran wrap totally passed out. We poke him with a stick to wake him up. He wakes, stunned to find himself unable to move and then says, "ugghh, your nutritional value is not accepted here!"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    but in general, is being drunk (or an alcoholic) really some kind of get-out-jail-free card when you say things while inebriated?

No, not at all, but a lot of people like to pretend that it is. "I was drunk!" they exclaim, as though getting shitfaced magically absolves you of what you do afterward.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    He wakes, stunned to find himself unable to move and then says, "ugghh, your nutritional value is not accepted here!"

LOL!!!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    but in general, is being drunk (or an alcoholic) really some kind of get-out-jail-free card when you say things while inebriated?

No, not at all, but a lot of people like to pretend that it is. "I was drunk!" they exclaim, as though getting shitfaced magically absolves you of what you do afterward.

I hate when people use that excuse for stupid shit they do. I say that for funny shit I do, but it's less of an excuse in those cases and more of a reason

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Does being drunk lower your inhibitations so that, in a sense, you're actually speaking what you really feel vs. putting up your social guard? Therefore, isn't what one would say drunk more of a confirmation of "true feelings" than what's said sober?

After a few drinks, yes, it's called liquid courage... after a lot of drinks, what's said can be completely random. Take this example:

My friend passed out on our futon after a long day of drinking. So naturally we decided to saran wrap him to the futon. So he's head to toe wrapped in saran wrap totally passed out. We poke him with a stick to wake him up. He wakes, stunned to find himself unable to move and then says, "ugghh, your nutritional value is not accepted here!"[/b]

This sounds more like grogginess than drunkenness to me.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    It really depends on the person, but for the most part people let out their true feelings. I mean, there has to be somewhere these racist remarks come from, right?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I've been very drunk and I've been around very drunk people more times than I'm willing to admit and I've gotta go with Dub's line of thinking here

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

this ios obviously in regard to the passion of Gibson, but nevermind his owrds at the time, it seems like little to no one cares that he was that drunk and tooling around a busy street at top speed.

Yeah he said some mean things on Jews and some of us got offended, but better that he just spat out some hate rather than killed a bunch of folks going 87mph down a curvy 2 lane highway with no center divider

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    it kinda depends on the person... some people's minds go before their body's... ie. i know people who would sit in a corner muttering for 4 hours while still drinking and not remember any of it... me, my body goes before my mind, so i'll be puking before i say retarded shit.... and some people have drunken tourette's where they yell stupid shit... in regards to Mel, considering there was a lot of Jewish controversy w/ the Passion of the Christ and then this happens, i think it's safe to say he say he has some issues w/ the chosen people...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't doubt that Gibson is anti-Semitic. Believe that.

But I'm wondering how it is that alcoholism has become a catch-all defense against saying some really repugnant shit.

• I talk first, think later. And, I drink a lot. So, I may have some insight to offer here.

I've never been told of saying anything wildly controversial; at worst, just some shit that pissed off girls I was involved with. But, I said it, and they were hurt. And, the excuse of 'I was drunk,' (to me) is bullshit, because I chose to get drunk. If I make that choice, I live with the consequences of my actions.

My two.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Man, fuck all that. Shit has to be ingrained in you if you start going on about "Jews started all the wars" when you get pulled over by a cop. I don't see how it can be any other way honestly.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    And, the excuse of 'I was drunk,' (to me) is bullshit, because I chose to get drunk. If I make that choice, I live with the consequences of my actions.

word

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

But I'm wondering how it is that alcoholism has become a catch-all defense against saying some really repugnant shit.

This is Hollywood publicist shit. They then come out of rehab reborn and make a comeback!! yeah!! shit is so predictable.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Being accountable for your own actions is becoming extinct.

Alcohol is just one of the more popular excuses.

One of our biggest problems as a society is accepting these excuses.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Cocaine sounds like a better excuse,

Does he have an excuse for getting drunk and speeding in the first place? who gives a fuck about the shit he thinks or says about jews. he was speeding and driving drunk, sticks and stones.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I don't drink and I've never been drunk

DISCONNECTED FROM THE BARSTOOL!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    how can you listen to rap and not drink?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Words and actions are different. I would be much more apt to forgive someone for something fucked up they said as opposed to something fucked up they DID. I don't believe that everything people say reads true to what they really believe. Sometimes people just say fucked up shit when they're drunk to get a rise out of people. They don't believe what they say but they know it will upset them and that's all they're looking to do.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    alcohol is truth serum for some people. i don't think it can make you an anti-semite, but it can definitely make you say some shit you were thinking in your brain (and were earlier smart enough to keep in your brain)

alcohol is truth serum for some people. i don't think it can make you an anti-semite, but it can definitely make you say some shit you were thinking in your brain (and were earlier smart enough to keep in your brain)

Liquid Tourette's?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I don't drink and I've never been drunk

DISCONNECTED FROM THE BARSTOOL!

That's impressive....Somebody get that man a 12 pack!

Oh yea and I stay stupid shit while I'm sober. I'm very stream of consciousness.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    As someone who has worked in bars for 13 years, i think i am somewhat qualified to add to this thread. Jaded bartender point of view: There is an old saying that goes 'A drunk mans mouth is a sober mans mind'. in my experiance i have found this to be absolutly true.
    The majority of people under the influence say some stupid shit, because they are not used to the effects of alcohol, Alcohol lowers your inhibitions (hence bars and clubs being pickup joints, old Johnny dayjob would never have the courage to talk to that pretty girl without a few).

ALCOHOL IS NEVER AN EXCUSE. the thought/action had to come from somewhere first, its not like mel was just a happygolucky fella and suddenly the jew talk popped outta nowhere, he just dropped his guard, not like johhny dayjob never wanted to get with cutiepie in the first place, he just dropped his guard.

as for the alcoholic defense: alcoholism is a fucking nasty disease, but the alcohols effects are the same, thats why drunkards are so salty.

In my experiance, getting drunk with your co-workers is an eyeopening experiance, the real talk comes out and you soon spot the racists, homophobes, closet kickfuckers etc...

i hate a messy drunk.

and co-sign on drinkdriving for real.

• i am an alcoholic so maybe i can speak on this. from my experience intoxication makes your true feelings surface. being drunk is NO EXCUSE. but the fact that he is an alcoholic does explain why he would say such stupid/cruel things. the man obviously has no
    business drinking at all. peace, stein. . .

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I'm not sticking up for Mel Gibson when I say this shit, but all this "Being drunk just makes you say shit that is true but you were too inhibited to say while sober" is fucking hogwash.

For example, about a year and a half ago while I was drunk at a club in NYC, I was waiting outside a door which I thought was the bathroom door. A nice sober girl (my boy's girl-friend in fact) approached me and attempted to point out that the door I was waiting at was not in fact the bathroom (it wasn't) and was padlocked (it was) and therefore, my insistence that it WAS the bathroom was entirely incorrect. I proceeded to think this poor girl was fucking with me, trying to steer me and my bladder away from the bathroom so she could cut in front of me and go first. I promptly told her "Fuck you" and, subsequently--and I quote--that "I gave your mom AIDS."

Two things need to be said here:

A. I don't have AIDS
    B. I didn't actually give her mom AIDS.

Hence, thus, and therefore, no "truth" was revealed while drunk. I just said some really mean shit.

QED

By the way, what a week Mom diss. How am I going to diss someone's mom while simultaneously insinuating that I have AIDS? The fuck? I'm even self-deprecating while insanely drunk.

-e

NOTE: Now me and girl (for those that know her, it's the one and only jerseyfresh) are homies.

I'm not sticking up for Mel Gibson when I say this shit, but all this "Being drunk just makes you say shit that is true but you were too inhibited to say while sober" is fucking hogwash.

For example, about a year and a half ago while I was drunk at a club in NYC, I was waiting outside a door which I thought was the bathroom door. A nice sober girl (my boy's girl-friend in fact) approached me and attempted to point out that the door I was waiting at was not in fact the bathroom (it wasn't) and was padlocked (it was) and therefore, my insistence that it WAS the bathroom was entirely incorrect. I proceeded to think this poor girl was fucking with me, trying to steer me and my bladder away from the bathroom so she could cut in front of me and go first. I promptly told her "Fuck you" and, subsequently--and I quote--that "I gave your mom AIDS."

Two things need to be said here:

A. I don't have AIDS
    B. I didn't actually give her mom AIDS.

Hence, thus, and therefore, no "truth" was revealed while drunk. I just said some really mean shit.

QED

By the way, what a week Mom diss. How am I going to diss someone's mom while simultaneously insinuating that I have AIDS? The fuck? I'm even self-deprecating while insanely drunk.

-e

NOTE: Now me and girl (for those that know her, it's the one and only jerseyfresh) are homies.

no, that just proved that you are an asshole.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    My favorite quote during this whole Mel Gibson debacle: "I blame the disease, not the man" which is just a variation of "he's not an anti-Semite, he just says crazy ass shit when he's drunk."

Mind you - I don't drink and I've never been drunk so I can't speak on the social etiquette of this situation from personal experience...but in general, is being drunk (or an alcoholic) really some kind of get-out-jail-free card when you say things while inebriated?

you must have drunked something when you posted that dumb shit in the people of color thread.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

By the way, what a week Mom diss. How am I going to diss someone's mom while simultaneously insinuating that I have AIDS? The fuck?

I think that's hilarious, but I'm an asshole.

Oliver....

Dude....

I really really want to get you shitfaced now.

man.

How are you gonna Karaoke in LA stone sober???? It doesn't work that way, boss man.

Shit... I rarely go digging without a hangover. Not in LA anyways!

Seriously, we'll get Drunk and Karaoke with PUTS and put all that Oliver Mark Ass Wang shit behind us and it will be Awesome! I PROMISE!

when i get drunk i post alba all over this bitch.

Fatback,

Umad?

Dizzy,

The Dub doesn't karaoke either. Mostly because you gotta be drunk to enjoy that and since I don't drink...

As for the shitfaced ambitions - sheeeet, my wife's been working on that 4 years and running. Still hasn't happened. In any case, she can hold enough liquor for the both of us.