DEAD ALESIS M1 ACTIVE MKII: Help please?

G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
One of my monitors won't say anything and it's little blue light is flickering. The fuse is still in tact. Whats the fuck? anybody?

Comments

• RafaelRafael 120 Posts
    I have a pair of these... no idea whats wrong though...

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I've had 'em for years with no issues. Know 1 other cat who has had some even longer. He never heard of it happening either... Guess I'll wait and see what their tech support has to say, if anything. If anybody has any ideas.... holler.

• RafaelRafael 120 Posts
    Is it possible to open it up? Maybe the amp inside is blown... sometimes there are [color:red]auctions[/color] for just one...

p.s... do you use them for mixing and production work or for just listening? How do you like them?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Man, first me, now you, another friend just said his computer died.

I'm waiting for the roof to cave in.

Good luck.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    try turning off the other speaker and have something playback with the broken one on. is there faint playback on it? if so, your amp is probably busted. im going through the same shit with my tr8xls right now and it kinda sucks. open it up and see if any wires are loose or whatever

Is it possible to open it up? Maybe the amp inside is blown... sometimes there are [color:red]auctions[/color] for just one...

p.s... do you use them for mixing and production work or for just listening? How do you like them?

yeah there's a metal plate on the back with about 12 screws and it pops off with the amp, fuse, and all the circuitry.

i use them for listening and for mixing, they work ok on the level that i use them for. Looking into some events right now though.

as far as checking the wires, i didn't check them thoroughly, but nothing seemed loose anywhere. i will open er up and check again though. and no sound comes out whatsoever.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    A lot of amps are wired to do the "play nothing and blink light" move when there is significant interference... Check the wires going to the monitors, are they crossed or frayed anywhere?

OK - New question for everybody -

If I were going to step it up from the $350 pair of monitors level to the $5-600 pair of monitors level, would you suggest anything over these?

Event TR8 Tuned Reference Biamplifier Studio Monitors (or the XL's)

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i have a pair (or one functioning) tr8xl and they're good. i have to tell you that i had an amp problem (picking up radio frequencies) within the first few months of ownership (still under warranty) and that they replaced the amps at no cost. that problem was said to be in the first few batches so you probably won't encounter it now. one of my amps died or something a few months back but i never really playback stuff loud so im not sure of the build quality really