Should I pay $65 to see ATCQ?

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    In a genre based on lyrics, it's pretty hard to provide much of a spectacle. P.E. at least put some thought into a show, other than bringing along a DAT machine. For $65 , 2 MCs and 1 DJ would get visually boring muy pronto.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    that price could be worth it, but it all depends on whether or not jarobi will be there

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    gambit,

Where are they playing (which could make all the difference in Detroit)? Anyone else on the bill besides Ess Vee?
    @ Chene Park (an ampitheater-style joint along the Detroit River)

Ahhh...memories @ Chene Park...

1. The tubby, discheveled wildman who left his seat to testify in the aisle when Roy Ayers began vibing out "Everybody loves the sunshine..."

2. See Funkadelic, complete with diapered bass player, with Moms and my younger cousin. The guy above us almost dropped his joint in her doo.

3. Getting asked "What YOU know about the Isley Brothers?" by the lady sitting next to me, as if I wasn't raised on grown and sexy folks' music. Little did she know.

For the venue, it's worth re-consideration.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    ok, how about this. Take the 65 dollars to home depot and buy 65 dollars worth of corn seed. Plant corn seed and when those mature in 60-90 days harvest the corn and each cob will yield another potential 20-30 seeds and so forth for the next 10 years. At this point, all cars will be completely dependent on Ethanol and organic fuel and you, sir, will be sitting on a small fortune. Sell all crops for 100,000$ (inflation ya know??) and invest in an upstart time travel company (it is ten years into the future where said things may or may not yet be possible). Once your time travel product is complete, you can travel back to the early nineties and blissfully listen to Jazz loops and explore the 4 elements all DAY LOOONNNNGGG! And maybe, just maybe, you can pull phife aside and advise him to slow his roll on the dropping random peoples names in his rhymes. Good luck and godspeed early nineties man, may you get home safe.

that was "awesome"

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    gambit,

Where are they playing (which could make all the difference in Detroit)? Anyone else on the bill besides Ess Vee?

1. The tubby, discheveled wildman who left his seat to testify in the aisle when Roy Ayers began vibing out "Everybody loves the sunshine..."

2. See Funkadelic, complete with diapered bass player, with Moms and my younger cousin. The guy above us almost dropped his joint in her doo.

3. Getting asked "What YOU know about the Isley Brothers?" by the lady sitting next to me, as if I wasn't raised on grown and sexy folks' music. Little did she know.

I first saw EWF there. I definitely got some memories going to shows there. My most memorable though are the free shows I've checked out.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I first saw EWF there.
    I totally read this as "EMF" at first and was like

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I first saw EWF there.
    I totally read this as "EMF" at first and was like

Unbelievable.

Does an EMF tape perhaps lurk amongst the Kriss Kross cassettes in that shoebox in the back of your closet?

• ok, how about this. Take the 65 dollars to home depot and buy 65 dollars worth of corn seed. Plant corn seed and when those mature in 60-90 days harvest the corn and each cob will yield another potential 20-30 seeds and so forth for the next 10 years. At this point, all cars will be completely dependent on Ethanol and organic fuel and you, sir, will be sitting on a small fortune. Sell all crops for 100,000$ (inflation ya know??) and invest in an upstart time travel company (it is ten years into the future where said things may or may not yet be possible). Once your time travel product is complete, you can travel back to the early nineties and blissfully listen to Jazz loops and explore the 4 elements all DAY LOOONNNNGGG! And maybe, just maybe, you can pull phife aside and advise him to slow his roll on the dropping random peoples names in his rhymes. Good luck and godspeed early nineties man, may you get home safe.

tribe has enough classic material to put on a great live show....but i guess you shouldn't go because, apparently, any music from the early nineties is no longer relevant...or good.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Slo's

Slo's is fucking awesome!

• 313313 21 Posts
    gambit,

I first saw EWF there. I definitely got some memories going to shows there. My most memorable though are the free shows I've checked out.

did you see femi there a few years back ?

• Go see 'em, caught when they played a local venue many years ago (promoting TLET) and they were dope !!!

Funny thing is they were a replacement for 3rd Bass who cancelled the gig for unexplained reasons.

• i think $65 is a really bad look. i got to see em' in los angeles at the palace right when low end theory dropped. brand nubian and 3rd bass were the openers. i still have the low end theory huge 3 by 4 poster. oh and this show was only $7. peace, stein. . .

gambit,

did you see femi there a few years back ?

The Femi show I saw was at Hart.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i saw them in augusta ga during the midnight marauders tour for $12.

even that was too much. all due respect lpwise...but they've always been a letdown live imo.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    detroit is $25-$65, w/ s.v.

milwaukee $26

washington $20

jersey $37.50

denver $35

atlantic city $40-$52

chicago $40

orlando $37.50

toronto $59.50

***plus service charges***

btw, toronto is sold out already and the show is still a month and a half away. This blows my mind.

I paid $35 for a main source reunion show 4 yrs ago and that pretty much deaded any desire to see these retread tours.

• ATCQ? i would've done that!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Depends on whether you've seen them before. I saw a pretty classic show at Tramps NYC with surprise appearence by Busta, as well their "last" show in NY after they has announced the breakup but were still touring. So for me, I would not want to ruin my memories with some reunion tour, but if I had never seen them before, I might feel differently.

Funny story, in the middle of the tramps show, see all these chicks buggin out, takin pictures, not of tribe on stage, but of the crowd, in my direction. Second later, realize we're up against the VIP section and Leo Dicaprio is watchin the show, these chicks were straight ignoring tribe. At one point (award tour?), he even jumped over the barrier and was jumping around with the us and the riff raff. Very surreal. Regardless, one of the best shows of my life. Oh 10th grade. Damn tramps was a dope spot.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

dude...don't listen to these folls !

Submit your soul to ATCQ !

$65 is way too low

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

• UnDos3UnDos3 81 Posts
    ticket to the show here in Berkeley go for $135-$145 a pop. I'd rather go to Rock The Bells festival.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

dude...don't listen to these folls !

Submit your soul to ATCQ !

$65 is way too low
    Hey, my birthday is coming up and I'm already looking to spend a couple hundred just to eat like a king or mafia don just out the pen in Metro Detroit (The Breakfast Club - Madison Heights, Slow's - Detroit, then Pampa's - Birmingham). If you would kindly send a dude some loot for the ticket, I'll gladly oblige and be front and center. The show is two days after my birthday anyway, so it's a good look. ha...

I'll PM you my e-mail address, .

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

They need to add someone like Black Sheep to make me attend that show at that price. SV barely packs the Blind Pig these days - sad to say.

Speaking of which, that reminds me, is 8WM ever actually going to be released. I remember being excited about this when the sample tracks dropped around 15 months ago.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    yes.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

Saw Tribe around the time Midnight Marauders was out.
    Have to say it was one of the best rap shows I've seen going back to '82.
    How'd they fare now in comparrison?

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    If T3 and Elzhi are gonna be there too... It's worth 65 bucks.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I saw them in '91 (post-Instinctive) and '94 (post-Marauders). Both concerts were great. I would go see them again, but not for 65 bucks.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    you must not be from 'round here.

OK, I'm not the biggest fan of T3's sloppy, smelly, spit-on-the-mic flow, but no love for Elzhi??

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

OK, I'm not the biggest fan of T3's sloppy, smelly, spit-on-the-mic flow, but no love for Elzhi??
    It's not that. I dig both of those dudes. I'm just saying having them on the bill does not really sweeten the pot for me.
    Elzhi is the man though. He needs to finish his solo album already. Cats are fiendin'.
    I'd pay $5 ~ $10 now to see SV. It's just not the same without Baatin and Dilla and with the prospect of no Dilla ever again - shit man. Add Baatin and I'd pay $15. I'd pay about $25 to see Tribe. So at this rate, I'd pay $30 to arrive early and get a prime spot up front. But no-oooooo, those seats are $65. $30 gets you the lawn, away from the energy... bump. that.