Getting screwed by a shipper (customs POA)...?

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Hi, I'm having a major problem with shipping, and I have no idea what I should do.Short story... Shipped all my material posessions from Japan, including 800 records.The shipper told me that it was ok to ship as personal items, but since they were a commercial shipper, I had to find a business address to ship to.Ok... check, found a friend whos Dad owns a construction business, and set the items to be shipped there.They pick up mystuff, and the next day, while I am preparing for the next days flight back to America, the shipper asks for a excel listing of all the items and prices... Its a bitch, but I finish before my 5am bus to Narita.Cut to Narita, I am waiting around as I got there hours early, and have yet to cut off my cell phone. I get a call from the guy, and says I probably won't believe him, but their company has just issued a strict warning that no one is to any longer ship items as personal shipments. Before, they were lax about the rule, but it just came down, that morning... that it was ending.So... they have my shit, and I am hours away from getting on a plane. He says he can mark the shipment as "for market research", and that I have to lie and pretend the items have some commercial use, and arent just a personal collection.I tell him whatever, I didn't have time to think or deal with it. I told him theres nothing else I can do, and I have no choice, because they have my shit in their warehouse, and I'm about to get on a plane. So, now I get home, after spending in the night in Chicago ORD due to a flight cancellation... I tried to call him, of course its the weekend, so hes out of the office. I got an email from the shippers American branch, which included the Customs Power of Attorney form... I don't understand a word of this shit.What the fuck can I do? I am so unbelievably pissed/worried sick about this shit.I didn't want to have to lie and make up some fake business story... and it was originally agreed that I was shipping personal belongings... The shipper changed the terms on me the day that I was leaving, leaving me with no option but to claim the shit for commercial use...Advice please?I am going nuts here. I am days without sleep, jet lagged, my luggage was lost, and now all my possessions are in some fucking legal limbo or something? WHat should I do?Peace...FNM

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    dude is this TAKA @ BAX, that dude is a bit of an idiot man...

Basically, explain your situation to the company in the US, they will understand. Shouldn't be an issue. I worked for a distribution company for records and we've had similar problems. Just break it down. You might need to supply receipts though.

peace.

• It was Tanaka helping me, and everything was cool until I got the call when I was at Narita.

You say explain it to BAX US? But I was told it was the US offices that came down on Japan about stopping personal shipments... You mean explain I was told personal shipment was ok, but that story changed as soon as I left the country?

I'm afraid if I do that, they'll send my shit back to Japan!

What do you mean supply reciepts man? It was a personal shipment. I was in Japan for three years! I didn't keep reciepts for every dollar record I bought, or 400 dollar record for that matter... And if you mean reciept from my Bax shipment, I havent gotten a damn thing yet. I left money in Japan to pay for it, because the price was changing daily...

Bad situation... Anyone here a lawyer?

Peace...
    FNM

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Getting screwed by a skipper

Advice please?

AYO!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Getting screwed by a shipper

Advice please?

PLUS[/b]

MINUS[/b]

EQUALS[/b]

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    It was Tanaka helping me, and everything was cool until I got the call when I was at Narita.

Dude can be a jerk-off, he cost me some money one time too. My records were held in Japan for a fortnight beore they left for some reason, I can't remember, but it was a fuck up...

From the sounds of things, you're fucked because they've left the country as that type of consignment... To save headaches, I would just pay up what they hit u for, unless it's ridiculous, especially if it's $1 records and you're killin' it anyway, it would be mega expensive to ship it back to Japan, then fix it up, and then send it back to you.

What do you mean supply reciepts man? It was a personal shipment. I was in Japan for three years! I didn't keep reciepts for every dollar record I bought, or 400 dollar record for that matter...

I always keep my receipts incase of shit like this man! Plus my hommie I was shopping for at the store could claim back on tax... I dunno. Do you have Microsoft Word?

Bad situation... Anyone here a lawyer?

Man, that shit would be *CRAZY*... imagine the hell it would be tryin' to get an international case on the road with BAX in Japan, let alone a lawer who is bi-lingual, let alone the fact Japanese law is fucked up and you probably didn't have a contract or leg to stand on. I mean the dudes at BAX asked you if they should ship it that way, and you said "YES". It's just another case of not finding out about the implications before shipping...

Sounds like you're freaking out?? I would just wait and see what they hit you up with my man, could be something like $200 or what-not. Just supply them with paperwork, do it up on your computer. My mates own shops out there and gave me cash register receipts when I needed them... you could try that route? I know you know some ppl out there dude.

Sorry hommie, hit me on e-mail if you want to talk more.

b