anybody on soulstrut buy c.d's?

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
O.K. it may not be cool to admit it (kinda like reissues) but I'm just wondering. I mostly buy vinyl but I like to have c.d's for work and the walkman. So kill me, I'm a music lover. Today I bought 3 cd's, don't really know how that happened but it did.The Montgomery Express- party fever - I've always been curious about this elusive folkways funk record. It's dope! Was surprised to see it on cd.Phil Ranelin- the time is now- this ish sounds really good to my drunken ears right now, me likesPrince Paul- itstrumental- shoulda called this shitstrumental Paul. was hoping this would be instrumental hip hop (no TheMack) buncha interludes and annoying vocal samples I'm not feelin this.and I thought his last album was dookie. feel like I flushed money down the toilet.Let the hate begin! Sorry if I only spent 30 bucks today instead of 500. Guess I wasn't "keepin it real" strutters. I did find some cool records today too but that's a whole other story. haha

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    yea i buy CDs still.

mainly just jazz that i could just listen to to help me get through the days, or just things that I will never find on vinyl. slowly getting into those library comps. too (KPM etc.)

i'm waiting for the Geology instrumental CD on Female Fun to drop, sounding pretty good so far.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    yeah its on female fun. Maybe I should give it more of a chance. I was in a bad mood when I listened to it because I had just gotten bad news.

• CDs are good for the simple reason that I can't take my $500 Euro funk heat on the subway with me. Although I got a couple sweet gigs in town that allow me to get lots of good new CDs for free... that new Ammoncontact EP is naiiicce. Also, yes, every now and then getting a CD reissue of that elusive piece is also an acceptable alternative - fuk dem hatahs.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I've never bought CD's. When they came out and records started to go away, I was heated. Seriously. The first CD player I got was in 97. It was a burner so I could sell mixes. Nobody had tapeplayers anymore. I had to adapt.

As far as collecting goes, I would worry about their lifespan. The CD's data, supposedly, breaks down over a span of 7-10 years. We'll have to wait and see.

If there was something I had to have, that was CD only, I'd buy it. I would then make copies and back it up on a couple of drives.

This is a major problem we are facing right now. There's nothing permanent to save data, that doesn't degrade. That combined with the fact that the technology leaves things behind. What good is a CD if no players exist to play it?

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I used to buy cds all the time when I had a car. It was actually easier to really listen to whole albums that way. Aint nothing better than driving in your car and listening to some badass music. But now I havent bougt one in like six months. I had an ipod but I could never get the whole headphone situation right, so nowadays I mostly listen to my walkman when prowling around the city like a vampire..

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    yeah its on female fun. Maybe I should give it more of a chance. I was in a bad mood when I listened to it because I had just gotten bad news.

damn sorry to hear. i go buy music when i'm in a bad mood, ending up having things that i only listen to once cuz i bought it for the heck of needing to go somewhere that cheers me up, but the actual music sucked.

Prince Paul hadn't made anything decent in yonkers anyhow, get rid of that and wait for the Geology.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    so nowadays I mostly listen to my walkman when prowling around the city like a vampire..

yea i totally like that feeling. though sometimes it gives me headaches from having earphones or headphones on for too long, especially in summer.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    This is a major problem we are facing right now. There's nothing permanent to save data, that doesn't degrade. That combined with the fact that the technology leaves things behind. What good is a CD if no players exist to play it?

REAL TALK.
    any digital data will face this problem. archives are no longer obsolete.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    i buy tons of cds............

.....But mostly the type that come on a spindle.

I love cds and they have served me well for many many years...But mabye its almost time for a medium that can do digital audio at something higher than 16 bit.

Im pretty sure this would silence alot of the analog dudes as you really cant get a good grasp on how far digital audio technology has come when all you have to play the music on is technology that basicly dates back to the 80's.

I would love to see some new format of a higher quality become widely accepted, but i dont think its ever going to happen. After all, if thats what it was really about....records sounded pretty good!

It is a little strange though to have people making music on these 196k systems, and then smashing the mixes back down to some 44k mastering job.....Not that it really bugs me that much though..im no audiophile.

MP3's forever!!

REAL TALK.
    any digital data will face this problem. archives are no longer obsolete.

when is this going to be a problem though? If all of technology fails us? On some mad max shit? Theres so much more SHIT out there as far as media is concerned, do you really WANT to save it all? If its worth anything Im pretty sure you will always be able to find it in some form. I can find shit alot easier now than I ever could in the past.

I think its alot of these big record collectors that wanna think their running the smithsonian or some shit. Its a record collection....not an archive hahaha.

so nowadays I mostly listen to my walkman when prowling around the city like a vampire..

yea i totally like that feeling. though sometimes it gives me headaches from having earphones or headphones on for too long, especially in summer.

be careful man. And anybody else that rocks headphones in the city. You ever notice how you always have shit at max volume? Do you think thats good for you? Its not that the walkman is too quiet, its that the decible level around is already so high that you have to push something that much higher to get the desired effect.

If you are getting a headache, thats not a good sign. Be easy on your ears man, your not gonna get any more of them!

I like your optimism.

when is this going to be a problem though?

When some cat buys a CD for 2 bills and that shit don't play a year later.

• The CD's data, supposedly, breaks down over a span of 7-10 years. We'll have to wait and see.

CDs have been around since late 80s, so according to your theory, millions of cds out there have already died and gone to data heaven. How does data "break down"? Is there some kind of degradation that occurs that slowly corrupts the data? Not likely. Digital data is the closest technology has come to permanence - it exists without the medium, whereas with LPs, the data is the medium. Trying to argue that vinyl is more permanent than CDs is just silly...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    So kill me

I was already going to.

Seriously though: is this a joke topic?

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    bsides:

i hear ya. i've stopped doing that for a while i'm out now, its really not doing good to my hearing. especially over here, with all the traffic and noises around you while walking on the streets.

• Seriously though: is this a joke topic?

Your wry sense of wit is only matched by your unrelenting sense of humour...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I buy cd's constantly i average 4 cd's every fortnight.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    No joke Crocodile Dundee.

Just seeing how many star wars nerds were gonna come outta the woodwork and say how superior records are to cd's.

I've had some of my cd's for 12 years and never had any problems with them.

Have fun bumping your records in the whip yo.

CDs have been around since late 80s, so according to your theory, millions of cds out there have already died and gone to data heaven.

It's not a theory, it's a fact.

How does data "break down"? Is there some kind of degradation that occurs that slowly corrupts the data? Not likely

Likely. There are a number of studies on this. Want me to google for you?

Digital data is the closest technology has come to permanence - it exists without the medium, whereas with LPs, the data is the medium. Trying to argue that vinyl is more permanent than CDs is just silly...
    Are you just stating that or is that directed at me because I never said that, but since we're here, here's a scenario. Mad Max times now, or desert isle shit. You got no power, how you gonna play your CD? At least with a record, all you need is a needle. Amplify it with a palm leaf or something. You could go all professor on that shit.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Not to mention the amount of 10 packs CDR's i buy weekly,i cant find space to walk in my room anymore.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    CDs have been around since late 80s, so according to your theory, millions of cds out there have already died and gone to data heaven.

so, how are you accounting for all of the 20 year old CD's I own that play the same as day one??

so, how are you accounting for all of the 20 year old CD's I own that play the same as day one??

Really? None have degraded at all? How many do you have that are from 1985? That would be interesting to know.

you can use all the smiley faces and lil' john icons you want, but I'm 34 years old, and have at least 10 CD's I bought in the mid-80's, and they are just fine. Your "theory" or "fact" is that they degrade in 10[/b] years anyway, and I have at least 100 CD's that are more than 10 years old, and they are all fine.
    You come all hardcore with that "it's not a theory, it's fact" shit, but you have nothing to back it up, whereas I have plenty of discs that prove your "fact" is bullshit.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    No joke Crocodile Dundee.

Just seeing how many star wars nerds were gonna come outta the woodwork and say how superior records are to cd's.

I've had some of my cd's for 12 years and never had any problems with them.

Have fun bumping your records in the whip yo.

Ahahahha

nah I just wanted to do the nerd-out response since no one else did!
    I got some CDs, but I mostly record stuff onto MD for my listening and easily transportable pleasure. I have a few CDs but I hardly ever listen to them because I only have a CD player plugged into a line in my mixer. They're convenient, but if i really dig something, I find it on vinyl.

you can use all the smiley faces and lil' john icons you want, but I'm 34 years old, and have at least 10 CD's I bought in the mid-80's, and they are just fine. Your "theory" or "fact" is that they degrade in 10[/b] years anyway, and I have at least 100 CD's that are more than 10 years old, and they are all fine.
    You come all hardcore with that "it's not a theory, it's fact" shit, but you have nothing to back it up, whereas I have plenty of discs that prove your "fact" is bullshit.

Hahahahaha!!!! Name your CDs. I'm 34 too. I'll remember if they were out.

Seriously though, before this gets ugly, let me fill you in on something. My posts have been rife with sarcasm. You are arguing with a parody.

Seriously though, before this gets ugly, let me fill you in on something. My posts have been rife with sarcasm. You are arguing with a parody.

Well, jeez, it's 3:30 AM...I gotta argue with somebody.

Well, jeez, it's 3:30 AM...I gotta argue with somebody.

It must be that age kickin' in. Happens to me too.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    hi

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i buy cds ocasionally. if i really like an album when it comes out and it's not released on vinyl, i pick up the cd. if it's released in both formats, i usually pick up both.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    usually the only cds i buy are dj mixes, but even that seems to be dwindeling. i'm seriously considering selling my entire cd collection. i never listen to them, and i've got some cd raers that could probably fetch $50+. could use the money.