I suck at selling records on ebay

2»

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    OK a few things...

#1 $30 is way high to start your bid on Airto. You should feel lucky, as a novice seller, to get $20.

#2, summer is not that bad if you are selling HOT items. If you are selling average stuff with no promotion then summer sucks, but I've watched, bid on, and sold a bunch of stuff since May that has gone for regular/decent prices.

#3, unless you are a known dealer and promote your auctions heavily you are never going to get top dollar, ebay is a buyers market and the guys that get top dollar there work their asses off. For my current auctions I promote on what, six different message boards? Not to mention an email list, gallery plus features on ebay ($20 a pop), etc.

Records don't sell themselves.

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    Also. You might want to try set sales here on the strut. Some folks be killin it and it's cheap.

Exactly what I intend to do in the next few days! I'm actually recording soundclips...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

this is the whole truth and nothing but. I mean, with not-so-rare records the likes which are being discussed here you've got more than one copy to choose from on eBay at all times pretty much. I mean, you should not even be thinking about Anthony Pearson prices - you will never get them. ever. It is not even a matter hustle.

OK, I am nowhere near being powerseller recordmonger #1, but here is my advice based on what I do. It is more than just getting a digi-cam and selling a couple records you paid too much for and don't like anymore. I started selling at basically the level of a part-time job about 2 years ago. I've sold at least a couple thousand records since then. At first I got normal dude below average prices. But I have been running small auctions almost monthly since then - always offerning a few choice pieces per, and now I get high end prices all the time. Not AP prices, but better than a lot of people get. But this involves getting fresh stuff to sell all the time, promoting my auctions, doing sound-clips and pics, and more importantly knowing minutiae like pressing details and all kinda shit for records I don't even like. You have to at least make people believe you know what the fuck you are doing. And guess what? I just ended an auction last night, in the summer and got pretty much top dollar on a lot of not so rare records.

I am fairly certain this is a lot more work that the people who always complain about not getting decent money for their records are prepared to do, but it's the truth. And this also does not mean you can just put up a set sale here with inflated AP like prices like *cough* so many people are doing lately. They probably won't sell that way either. sorry to be harsh, but I read this stuff a lot here...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

this is the whole truth and nothing but. I mean, with not-so-rare records the likes which are being discussed here you've got more than one copy to choose from on eBay at all times pretty much. I mean, you should not even be thinking about Anthony Pearson prices - you will never get them. ever. It is not even a matter hustle.

OK, I am nowhere near being powerseller recordmonger #1, but here is my advice based on what I do. It is more than just getting a digi-cam and selling a couple records you paid too much for and don't like anymore. I started selling at basically the level of a part-time job about 2 years ago. I've sold at least a couple thousand records since then. At first I got normal dude below average prices. But I have been running small auctions almost monthly since then - always offerning a few choice pieces per, and now I get high end prices all the time. Not AP prices, but better than a lot of people get. But this involves getting fresh stuff to sell all the time, promoting my auctions, doing sound-clips and pics, and more importantly knowing minutiae like pressing details and all kinda shit for records I don't even like. You have to at least make people believe you know what the fuck you are doing. And guess what? I just ended an auction last night, in the summer and got pretty much top dollar on a lot of not so rare records.

I am fairly certain this is a lot more work that the people who always complain about not getting decent money for their records are prepared to do, but it's the truth. And this also does not mean you can just put up a set sale here with inflated AP like prices like *cough* so many people are doing lately. They probably won't sell that way either. sorry to be harsh, but I read this stuff a lot here...

eBay is also a strange beast. Can't just blame it on the summer , I guess. I had a Truck Turner OST up and it got no bids at $7. Relisted it a month later and got $45!!?? There are so many factors that play into things.

The biggest thing is creating a brand. I learned from one of the best ... stopandcop. BEATDAWG DID IT and so can you. but it won't happen over night. sorry.

• , everybody. I appreciate it.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    , everybody. I appreciate it.

F'real... thanks for the insight. Time to step my selling game up.

Another thing I've thought of doing is posting a craigslist ad for people to set appointments to look through my records. I have about 10 or so crates of stuff in the garage that I'd like to get rid of in the < $10 range. Anyone have success with that? Do you get a lot of jokers with $5 trying to score a handful of cheapies? My time is too valuable for that.

I thought about doing a garage sale like Justin does in SF, but I don't think I'd get a good turnout because my location isn't that great as I'm in a suburb of San Jose. Maybe I could bill it as a record sale/pool party

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    , everybody. I appreciate it.

F'real... thanks for the insight. Time to step my selling game up.

Another thing I've thought of doing is posting a craigslist ad for people to set appointments to look through my records. I have about 10 or so crates of stuff in the garage that I'd like to get rid of in the < $10 range. Anyone have success with that? Do you get a lot of jokers with $5 trying to score a handful of cheapies? My time is too valuable for that.

I thought about doing a garage sale like Justin does in SF, but I don't think I'd get a good turnout because my location isn't that great as I'm in a suburb of San Jose. Maybe I could bill it as a record sale/pool party

I gots no ebay game, but on the record sale tip, try coordinating with Justin and/or Kid Inq or anyone else, and the next time they have a sale, see if you can bring a few crates. Throw 'em some beers for their trouble, or whatever they fancy, help promote, and try to tag team that shit. Worked at the Greater Boston/JP Record Swap of Summer '06.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I gots no ebay game, but on the record sale tip, try coordinating with Justin and/or Kid Inq or anyone else, and the next time they have a sale, see if you can bring a few crates. Throw 'em some beers for their trouble, or whatever they fancy, help promote, and try to tag team that shit. Worked at the Greater Boston/JP Record Swap of Summer '06.

I've done that a few times, plus the Dig Dug in San Jose and have done okay. I'm too lazy to carry that many crates around, though

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

I've done that a few times, plus the Dig Dug in San Jose and have done okay. I'm too lazy to carry that many crates around, though

I hear you on that. At SoI's fiesta, I brought 1.75 crates and did ok. But, as it was his house, he marched downstairs with like 10, and cleaned up. So, you'll never beat the homeowner/host, that is fo' sho.

• #1 $30 is way high to start your bid on Airto. You should feel lucky, as a novice seller, to get $20.

I sold The Whispers 'Planets Of Life' debut og, beautiful condition, for only $4.99..

my starting bid! I was certain it would sell for higher. I never see that record show up anywhere, not even on ebay. The title track is pure . I was an idiot to sell it. Man, I suck at selling records. First thing I need to do is keep ones I never, ever see.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    THAT is a record you should have started at $30!

I think, for you, you should start with set sales. That way you can set a price you are comfortable with, and if nobody bites lower it. Or entertain lower offers when they come in.