I suck at selling records on ebay

LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I get no bids for Airto's 'Natural Feelings' lp nm/nm and ap sells one for $63. 63 bucks for that turd.I've seen Catalyst's turd lp 'Perception' on Muse sell between $40 and $50... I get no bids.Both for much lower starting prices.I understand I'm not on ap's selling level (who is?), but still.. I've sold a few records, my rating is %100, what gives? Lamar's ebay prowess is so not Anybody else in the same boat as me? Maybe just a streak of bad luck, I guess.

Comments

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts

Lamar's ebay prowess is so not

Talking in third person is

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    pearson got game. did you try contacting the losing bidders to let them know you have the same items? peace, stein. . .

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    I get no bids for Airto's 'Natural Feelings' lp nm/nm and ap sells one for $63. 63 bucks for that turd.

i like that record.

• Yeah I emailed the shmuck who was willing to spend $62 for the Natural Feelings lp.

I never heard back.

• takotako 50 Posts
    its summer

• Some constructive criticism: you need to run pictures of the records you're selling. Also, you need to state your policies (shipping terms, grading standards, etc.) Maybe design a little graphic that you put in each listing. The way you are doing it now is way too bare bones. Experiment a little bit with your starting prices, etc. You should do alright.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Yeah I emailed the shmuck who was willing to spend $62 for the Natural Feelings lp.

I never heard back.

Also, you need to have a little more respect for people that would pay $62 for an Airto record. They don't want to do business with people who think they're shmucks.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I get no bids for Airto's 'Natural Feelings' lp nm/nm and ap sells one for $63. 63 bucks for that turd.

Yeah some people seem to really like paying more than the
    going rate, when it's being auctioned by an Ebay heavyweight like AP.
    Braggin rights for some I suppose, but you have to figure that
    reputation for pro service and great selection help as well.
    But I hear ya, I've done the same thing "Oh shit somebodies paying that
    much for that", and when I put one on, I'll get $12 when the last one went for
    $65.

post a link to said auctions or you are soft.
    peace, stein. . .

• Yeah I emailed the shmuck who was willing to spend $62 for the Natural Feelings lp.

I never heard back.

Also, you need to have a little more respect for people that would pay $62 for an Airto record. They don't want to do business with people who think they're shmucks.

Was it you??

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Some constructive criticism: you need to run pictures of the records you're selling. Also, you need to state your policies (shipping terms, grading standards, etc.) Maybe design a little graphic that you put in each listing. The way you are doing it now is way too bare bones. Experiment a little bit with your starting prices, etc. You should do alright.

this is excellent advice. People want to buy from sellers that look like they know what they're doing. not saying you don't, but if you are just some john_nobody with a semi-active eBay account and 5 record up for sale you don't don't look like someone to buy records from. You look like a normal dude. It seems like a lot of dudes think eBay is some magic machine that will turn records into gold, but trust me - the guys who are getting any kind of decent price have put a lot of work into building their image as people to buy records from. Just my 2 cents.

post a link to said auctions or you are soft.
    peace, stein. . .

• Some constructive criticism: you need to run pictures of the records you're selling. Also, you need to state your policies (shipping terms, grading standards, etc.) Maybe design a little graphic that you put in each listing. The way you are doing it now is way too bare bones. Experiment a little bit with your starting prices, etc. You should do alright.

this is excellent advice. People want to buy from sellers that look like they know what they're doing. not saying you don't, but if you are just some john_nobody with a semi-active eBay account and 5 record up for sale you don't don't look like someone to buy records from. You look like a normal dude. It seems like a lot of dudes think eBay is some magic machine that will turn records into gold, but trust me - the guys who are getting any kind of decent price have put a lot of work into building their image as people to buy records from. Just my 2 cents.

Very true, however.. if I have a record on ebay and you're interested in it, but you have a little doubt because im not a power seller, or there's no pic of said item, at least email me asking for more details. Hell, you might get a great record for half of what you expected to pay.

Im just thinkin' out loud here... I still see what you're sayin. Time to invest in a digital camera. And quit selling in the summer.

• post a link to said auctions or you are soft.
    peace, stein. . .

Item #150012998544

• " YOU CANT TAKE THE CROWN MAYBE FROM SOMEONE ELSE BUT NOT ME "

• " YOU CANT TAKE THE CROWN MAYBE FROM SOMEONE ELSE BUT NOT ME "

Indeed. The proof is in the pudding: ap's item# 330009172944

Only someone with an ebay handle of "smoothmeister" would pay that much for Airto.

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    the guys who are getting any kind of decent price have put a lot of work into building their image as people to buy records from. Just my 2 cents.

And if your image isn't really build yet you have to work a lot on your descriptions in order to make people feel safe and confident, your buyers need to feel you know what you're talking about.

if I have a record on ebay and you're interested in it, but you have a little doubt because im not a power seller, or there's no pic of said item, at least email me asking for more details. Hell, you might get a great record for half of what you expected to pay.

Most of them will not contact you with their questions, they will prefer bidding on some other list. Try to answer to all questions in your description.

I still see what you're sayin. Time to invest in a digital camera. And quit selling in the summer.

A picture of the record helps a lot. Auctionning in summer is so risky I wouldn't even try... You can also work on providing soundclips. There was also a previous thread talking about what was the best day of the week and the best hour to see auctions end! And I agree with the one who said selling 5 records only wasn't very attractive.

I'm not a baller or a power seller, I sell twice a year but since the day of my first sale I've been almost satisfied with the price range my records were reaching. That's a lot of time spent in order to make sure the buyer will be satisfied and a little bit of hazardous strategy.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dude,

If you want to get prices like AP, then sell thousands of records every few weeks and do that consistently month after month. The science isn't tricky here - AP gets top dollar because he's a consistent, reliable seller who always moves huge volume of good records. Same with that kid funkyou.

Just having 100% feedback doesn't mean much if you're not attracting crazy heads who want to know what you're selling this week. Bottomline, some crazy power sellers will always get 50% or more on albums that the rest of us try our hardest to hustle. But it's not like they have some magic eBay pixie dust that they sprinkle on their auctions.

The word = hustle.

• Dude,

If you want to get prices like AP, then sell thousands of records every few weeks and do that consistently month after month. The science isn't tricky here - AP gets top dollar because he's a consistent, reliable seller who always moves huge volume of good records. Same with that kid funkyou.

Just having 100% feedback doesn't mean much if you're not attracting crazy heads who want to know what you're selling this week. Bottomline, some crazy power sellers will always get 50% or more on albums that the rest of us try our hardest to hustle. But it's not like they have some magic eBay pixie dust that they sprinkle on their auctions.

The word = hustle.

you are so right oliver. I live in St. louis and know dj clockwork, aka jason aka funkyou!, and can attest that he is at it 7 days a week, starting early...in the dregs of north city and east st. louis, illinois.

Exactly, these mofos do this for a living.

hm m m. okay i checked the aution. i'd say i'm happy with your ebay rating, record description, and feedback. it's a real psycological problem for me to buy a record without an actual scan or pic of the record. i rarely rarely ever buy records w/o seeing it.. but i would say the main problem is the PRICE. this is where real psycology comes into play. while it is a great record and that's a more than fair price for you to sell it at $30 would be up against tremendous odds. you would need someone who really wants it. my advice is start your auction at 4.99 so you can have alot of people invest their time in your auction. i'd also bet the guy who lost ap's auction was relieved that he lost. peace, stein. . .

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I've been disappointed with the outcomes of my auctions lately. I have solid feedback, do a gallery picture, add all the major keywords, write good descriptions, and even add soundclips for the "real" good ones.

I think I need to promote my auctions here so I can get more people looking and so I can say "I pay to post here".

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I've been disappointed with the outcomes of my auctions lately. I have solid feedback, do a gallery picture, add all the major keywords, write good descriptions, and even add soundclips for the "real" good ones.

I think I need to promote my auctions here so I can get more people looking and so I can say "I pay to post here".

People need to also realize that records do not sell well in the summer time. European folks are on "holiday" and American folks are outside having fun. It's a great time to buy, horrible time to sell. October forward is when you should get your game on.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Also. You might want to try set sales here on the strut. Some folks be killin it and it's cheap.

People need to also realize that records do not sell well in the summer time. European folks are on "holiday" and American folks are outside having fun. It's a great time to buy, horrible time to sell. October forward is when you should get your game on.

Word... it is my first year of selling so I'm learning as I'm doing. Luckily I'm not selling anything too big where I'd be real bummed out if it didn't go for much. I guess I should hold off on the big 45 unload I was planning on doing.

I miss summer vacations!

Jeebus... apparently not everyone's doing bad this summer!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SLY-AND-THE-FAMILY-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

• Jeebus... apparently not everyone's doing bad this summer!!

WTF?!?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Jeebus... apparently not everyone's doing bad this summer!!

WTF?!?

Relax fellas, there are two hours left on that auction. Plenty of time to get your snipes ready.

• Jeebus... apparently not everyone's doing bad this summer!!

WTF?!?

Is it maybe because the seller put that note about "possible first EVER pressing" in there? WTF indeed.

Is it maybe because the seller put that note about "possible first EVER pressing" in there? WTF indeed.

Next level collectros only want the first record to come out of the plant.

"Yeah man... they made a million of these, but I got the first one ever!"