chicago: pulling up the roots

jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I am sad to report that, having done his time battling the shitstem here in Chicaga???s hustlin??? bustle, the one JRoot is packing his carpetbag for where people wear pajamas and live life slow: late next week, dude is moving down South(ish) to rope-a-dope the evil with righteous bobbin??? and weavin???, deep in the Mizzurahdome. Thus, I???m putting the call out any and all of my Chicago-rillas (seriously, how corny is that shit?) who wanna???uh!???come on down! to Gaylord???s Indian at 1:00 this coming Tuesday and send my man off on a wave of mango-lassi. To those of you that have met Root, come say ???hi??? and ???bye,??? and to those of you who have not, don???t miss what will almost certainly be your last and only chance to rub elbows with the often-heard-about but seldom-scene Maltese Sasquatch of the ChiStrut community. Perhaps meaty will show up and we can argue about whose cheeks are rosier. Whatever the case, whosoever is interested needs to put their quarter up right here in this thread so we know what all we???re looking at???those familiar know that the maitre???d down there at the ???Lords does not play when it comes to the seating (???Yo, is it okay if I just pull this chair up here???? ???No, it is not.???), so a reasonably accurate headcount is a must. Root, Clubbuppington, and myself are all sure things like Nicollette Sheridan, but the rest of y???all need to holler. All are welcome, you just gotta make it known a little ahead of time, is all.I am saying:Gaylord???s India678 N. Clark Chicago (you dummy)(312) 664-1700Tuesday, July 25No cover1:00pm until?Cover: Gents ??? Free! Ladies ??? Unlikely!AN INCH BELOW THE TURFBACK THAT ASS UPMO PROBLEMS

Comments

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Count me in.

I say we all send him off in style too...record night style. But of course this is all up to his schedule of busyness business. I am hereby opening up Terry_Clubbup's new North Side abode to all those wanting to attend. Yeah?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Original Gaylord.

Show me,
    JRoot

Original Gaylord.

Show me,
    JRoot

I had some of that yellow puddin stuff at a different Indian buffet yesterday that was...

fruitier than Gaylords.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    (???Yo, is it okay if I just pull this chair up here???? ???No, it is not.???)

That is so funny. I was at Gaylord's back in the 20-ought-1 and it went down just this way.

To Jeru(t), here's to fighting Ignorance, and his mob: hatred, jealously, and envy.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Count me in.

I say we all send him off in style too...record night style. But of course this is all up to his schedule of busyness business. I am hereby opening up Terry_Clubbup's new North Side abode to all those wanting to attend. Yeah?

Yes and yes.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    Count me in.

Yes and yes.

i'm planning on attending because i want to meet some more chi-strutters in person...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Tuesday is one of my busiest days on the job, but I can rearrange the schedule. Yeah, count me in.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Sadly I won't be able to join. But I wanted to once again publicy acknowledge the genius of the Root. I finally had the pleasure of meeting him recently (dashed out of the lesbian loft with only enough time to survey his finds while walking him to the parking lot) and it's safe to say if I got hit by a ten ton bus today I would die a happy man having befriended JRoot.

I've taken to saving all the emails he sends in a personal special folder simply because they are such a fucking joy to read. Africa, movies, children's stories, nesting robins, fecal sacs, eugenics. Topics as wide and far-reaching as the "show me" state, no doubt. While his moving probably won't prevent me from receiving these special emails (do they even have the internet down there?), I knew this would be one thread he was likely to open. Insert comment bemoaning the "death of the strut" and the loss of valuable members to our "community."

It should be said again that JRoot was entirely responsible for get the heat back into our rocks. His swift salvo skills made paypal put they game on pause and check they drawls. A few sleepless nights wondering what the fuck I got everyone into were soother by phone calls from JRoot (w/ newborn, traveling for work, and staying up til unreasonable hours defending his kin or working on his briefs -- delicious) assuring me he'd have it sewn up in a matter of minutes. When you answer the phone and the first words you hear (before you even have time to ask for help) are, "I've read their Terms and Conditions and found the pertinent areas to your current situation, which I am forwarding to you now," there is really no other feeling like it in the world, much less Missouri. Through it all I learned JRoot and I had been working for the same company for three years. "Pouch Me" isn't just a Hermism anymore.

Thank you JRoot for exemplary heatrockery and saving our collective dough from the clutches of the ugly.

Safe travels.
    Bye robin's nest.
    ModorSoullessDaysAreOver.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    fellas, Im really gonna try and make it, but damn its hard work having a child and convincing the wife to let you go out to lunch without her.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    fellas, Im really gonna try and make it, but damn its hard work having a child and convincing the wife to let you go out to lunch without her.

You get a pass, whoadie; the bunker mentality of the new parent is real as fuck--I can sympathize. Make it if you can.

Here's the tally-whack as it stands at this day and time:

JRoot
    Terry_Clubbup
    dCastillo
    luck
    TSG
    pickwick33
    james

and we'll save some space for young meaty (though Young Meaty sounds like one of those magazines that's illegal to send through the mail).

Anyone else who's trying to get down needs to post up between now and, say, tomorrow morning, lest you end up slurping your own saag at a card table by the coat room.

• I'll be there for a minute. Might not be able to stay too long, but I have to show up and show JRoot some love, plus it'll be nice to see you guys in a context other than Danny's.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    What, I gotta start announcing my appearances now?

Add 2 to the list maybe 3 if dcarf wants to ride along.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    There's a gaylords in chicago? fancy that, there's one in india too. I got a photo somewhere.

• All are welcome, you just gotta make it known a little ahead of time, is all.

I am saying:

Gaylord???s India
    678 N. Clark
    Chicago (you dummy)
    (312) 664-1700
    Tuesday, July 25
    No cover
    1:00pm until?
    Cover:
    Gents ??? Free!
    Ladies ??? Unlikely!

(meep meep) risa would like to be there
    ....i think i have a spare TUESDAY mousestash for this occasion

Loosened-Belt Crew:

JRoot
    Terry_Clubbup
    dCastillo
    luck
    TSG
    pickwick33
    james
    zilla
    counterpernt
    possibly meatyogurt
    possibly DCarzagnut
    and a cameo (oww!) by Dreas

I'm shitty with numbers, so I'm just gonna call up my man and make a reservation for "a whole gang of folks." (Even though as near as I can tell the only difference between having a reservation and not having a reservation is that if you have a reservation they will at least apologize to you while they make you wait a long time for a table.)

If I see you there, I will see you there.

There's a gaylords in chicago? fancy that, there's one in india too.

Yeah, the "Gaylord India" name is comparable to something like "Cambridge House": They exist everywhere, but folks are always mildy surprised to find out that there's one somewhere else.

the boy likes a good suckling, and I dont think I can provide that, so it may happen

• TSGTSG 274 Posts

i'll try to make it.

meatyogurt...

If I see you there, I will see you there.

• Im at work so I definitely couldnt make it. Anyone going to see Os Mutantes @ Pitchfork on sunday?

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

We anxiously awaited the arrival of Conway West (or was it Kanye Twitty)?
    Neither showed, but JP skipped on the bill.

We anxiously awaited the arrival of Conway West (or was it Kanye Twitty)?
    Neither showed, but JP skipped on the bill.

haha. $1.30 each?

the beach was chill.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    the beach was chill.

Hammock?

You fuckers. I had 4 more hours of meaningless work left. Why is it impossible to have a Mafia meetup when one tries to?

• Everybody in attendance received a Geraldine Fibbers 7".

A poor consolation prize for the loss of the Root doctor, but
    na'ar record nerd has been known to look a Nels Cline-related
    promo in the mouth.

Good luck, JRoot.

i missed yall,
    but didnt diss yall,
    are yall pissed yall?
    then get the fist yall!
    cuz im mad yall!
    and im sad yall!
    and im badder than bad
    but not glad yall!

chicago on some what y'all up to now diagnostics.

beach no hammock, but pyramids & sunglasses were in full effeck.

anyhow, Jeremy, it's sad to see you go. ESPECIALLY since we all never had an official record wastedness night. (I believe that term is being copyrighted right at this moment). Anyhow, y'all gotta invite us down sometime. Chicago needs to go Jansportin'. (Thes-1 already copyrighted that! )

JP

Officially demoted to "pickwick20" until he makes with the thirteen bucks.

I mean, I'm not mad--I'm the calm one; hi-ever, as Bobby Rush ("the due-process one, not the 'do-process one" - ??lubbup) might say, Rob Zilla also put five on it, and--as he has ample time to contemplate retaliation, revenge, and get-back--you never know when that dude's gonna just whyle out and show up at your job with some numbchucks or something. What lurks beneath the white tee? Consider yourself warneded.

(Just kidding, J***s; it was good to see you. Just get me--or Rob, whoever you see first--next time.)

"Beach"?! Zinka hand-styles for miles, I'm sure. I'm picturing y'all in olden-style "swimming costumes," like, the one-piece jernts with suspenders, slightly sped-up for a Hard Day's Night/Benny Hill effect. If I'm wrong, don't tell me.

But, yeah, what Terry said. 1997-vintage Geraldine Fibbers deadstock = too little payment for so great a debt. JR will be sorely missed, both in his concrete presence and in his abstract ballast. Buena suerte, Root. Show 'em.

NOW I AIN'T SAYING SHE'S A COAL DIGGER...