Ultrasonic Cleaners (RR)

2»

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    when the brushes on the nitty gritty get flattened out from use, can they be replaced?

Yes, replacements are easily available. I've changed mine 5-6 times. The replacements are 10-15 bucks.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Anyone have a Vac O Rec? Is it worth chasing on ebay for cheap or no?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    do you suppose that an internal tank measurement of 11 3/4 inches will fit an lp if you tilt it across diagonaly?

eureka in the bathtub. If you cant submerge the lp past the end of the last track because of the label, then a tank 11.5 inches wide would fit LPs straight across because the LP wouldn't be measured at the center, but at the level only at the point where the label starts, which is less than 11.5 inches. So you can build a spindle that holds a bunch of records to clean all at once.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    All this talk is amature. Stop playing Macgyver, big dude it up & buy a dedicated record cleaning machine.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    eureka in the bathtub. If you cant submerge the lp past the end of the last track because of the label, then a tank 11.5 inches wide would fit LPs straight across because the LP wouldn't be measured at the center, but at the level only at the point where the label starts, which is less than 11.5 inches. So you can build a spindle that holds a bunch of records to clean all at once.

Yeah, I think you could swing it, but it'd be a tight fit. Assuming a 12 inch diameter record with a 4 inch diameter label, the width of the record at the bottom of the label is 2 x sqrt(6^2 - 2^2) = 11.3".

excellent.

I just purchased this, new in the box with 2 year waranty for $400. Now I must design the spindle to hold and turn the records.

Yeah, I think you could swing it, but it'd be a tight fit. Assuming a 12 inch diameter record with a 4 inch diameter label, the width of the record at the bottom of the label is 2 x sqrt(6^2 - 2^2) = 11.3".

but usually the music runs out a good 1/2 before the label starts.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

but usually the music runs out a good 1/2 before the label starts.

2 x sqrt(6^2 - 2.5^2) = 10.9" you're made in the shade.

• so, my trueseep arrived this week.

I've constructed my tinkertoy hand-crank record turner; I have my distilled water; I have my Formula 409.

I'll let everyone know on Monday if it ruined all my records.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

I use distilled water with a generous dash of this fine product here:

Vinyl records are made of PVC (Poly-Vinyl-Chloride) which is very resistant to most chemical substances (be very careful with Styrene, though!). Gas canisters and bottles that contain aggressive acids are made out of PVC. Digging in Africa, you're frequently confronted with the most extreme challenges when it comes to cleaning records. On rare occasions, I've been using Hydrochloric acid which will eat away any organic substance, be careful though, it eats paper and the fumes bleach labels if there is nor proper ventilation, the fumes also will eat your lungs! I really like lighter fluid for cleaning and use it very often. I would always recommend to wipe records with a paper towel soaked in distiled water as a last step to remove any potential residue from other cleaning substances that could clog up your stylus. Especially when using
    Elmer's Glue. There used to be some stuff called "the magic record film" that was sold in Europe up until a few years ago that works just like Elmer's Glue, unfortunately, it is not produced anymore.