Driving across the country: Boulder & Iowa spots?

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
I'm stopping for a couple of days on my way to Philly. Any spots that are worth checking out?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    check Denver and Iowa City. They both have decent record shops.

• check Iowa City.

Great town.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Boulder is hippie wackness (without the psych), avoid.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    check Iowa City.

Great town.

watch out, the best spot got fucked up in our tornado recently, and record collector seems to be a bit...dry lately.

i have not found many records here in a while.

it IS a great town though, thats why im trying to not have to move.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    how'd you do in Denver?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    yeah iowa city is actually where i'm going

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Here are a few hot spots.....but I guess it depends what you're looking for..
    Black And Read
    7821 Wadsworth Ave
    Arvada, Co
    This is a suburb of Denver and has a great selection of OG psych, rock and odball.

In Iowa I think this is the place to go.....
    http://kanesville.tripod.com/kanesville/

In Iowa I think this is the place to go.....
    http://kanesville.tripod.com/kanesville/

DEFINITELY....but thats on the complete opposite side of the state.

iowa city is a nice town regardless. even if you dont find shit, youll enjoy your stay.

I got down in Jerry's basement and got some gems + GB Diggs got the raer jazz heat! Black and Read was good, Boulder was absolute garbage, and Greeley was a complete waste of my time. Post with pics to come! I sent out your check.
    Hi Jonny!

This is a suburb of Denver and has a great selection of OG psych, rock and odball.

Black and Read is great, but their selection of psych and rock is pathetic for being Hippie Mountain High Colorado.

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    There's a Half Price in Des Moines that you could hit if you stop for lunch there or something. Otherwise the middle of the state is pretty dry.

There's a Half Price in Des Moines that you could hit if you stop for lunch there or something. Otherwise the middle of the state is pretty dry.

if you go to des moines, hit up Red Rooster Records, the dude who runs it is pretty into funk/soul, pretty much the only spot in town where youll find anything...ANYTHING decent, as far as that goes.

ive gotten all kinds of good shit from him, 45s, LPs...

and...dont even bother with that half price books. that shit has been dry for months.

trust me.

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts

if you go to des moines, hit up Red Rooster Records, the dude who runs it is pretty into funk/soul, pretty much the only spot in town where youll find anything...ANYTHING decent, as far as that goes.

and...dont even bother with that half price books. that shit has been dry for months.

trust me.

Yeah, take this guy's advice. I have't been down there in a couple years, and I've only ever been there for short stretches. There was a place down by the capitol too now that I think about it; was that Red Rooster? It was pretty dry when I hit it - only good for some reissue 45s I needed - but maybe ako can give a better review of this store.

trust me.

Yeah, take this guy's advice. I have't been down there in a couple years, and I've only ever been there for short stretches. There was a place down by the capitol too now that I think about it; was that Red Rooster? It was pretty dry when I hit it - only good for some reissue 45s I needed - but maybe ako can give a better review of this store.

youre thinking of ZZZ, which is...acceptable if you want new music, but their selection of old stuff leaves a lot to be desired (although the owner gets love for setting up all the excellent des moines record shows i come up at)

red rooster is over by euclid and 2nd avenue, small shop, small set up, lots of 45s (zzz doesnt sell 45s anymore for some reason) records seperated into the following genres: soul/r&B, jazz, rock, funk, then by decade. pretty vague system for psych stuff, most of it ends up in the "60s" section, but they have a pretty good selection most of the time.

plus they get stock in regularly...which is a bonus. i cant stand stores that never ever ever get new shit in.

they also sell used stereo equipment and huge t-shirts.

anyway, thats pretty much the only spot i hit up when i visit home anymore.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Black and Read is great, but their selection of psych and rock is pathetic for being Hippie Mountain High Colorado.

I must have wiped them out.....sorry

Last time my brother was out there he scored TWO sealed OG copies of Raven "Back To Ohio Blues"......$10.00 each.......go Popsike THAT puppy!!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I'm stopping for a couple of days on my way to Philly. Any spots that are worth checking out?

for denver area info see this thread:

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...true#Post667944

3 posts from the bottom is a bunch of detailed info about area record shops. good luck.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i just came from denver last week.
    honestly really nice selection in the shops.

where to go in order of importance:

1. Black & Read in Arvada
    2. Jerry's in Denver
    3. Wax Trax in Denver
    4. Twist & Shout
    5. Uncle G's in Loveland (north of denver) - call first, he said he was closing his doors in a month's time

where to skip:
    -do not go to Fort Collins for records.
    -i personally didn't go to Bart's in Boulder but heard it was bad.
    -didn't have time to go to Greeley but glad to hear from the Non that it sucked. guessing it was the warehouse for Finest.

honestly, Denver was probably the best overnight stop on my three week trip across the country. I came home with very solid jazz.

now the real question- what did The_Non and partner unearth from the basement at Jerry's? what raer jazz lurks beneath the stormy surface?

Nothing earth shattering, but when someone says, oh, check the basement, I'm usually not expecting much, as well as expecting filth and grime. While the grime and filth was present, it was clean on one side. I unearthed a lotta moder down there, some private press random shiz, and J.J. Jackson's-Dilemma, which is a REALLY good LP I haven't heard much about. GB wasn't with me, but mighta helped me with Wax Trax, cuz that broad at the counter wasn't being as nice as she coulda been to me. I'm sad to have missed something, but I couldn't get to it all because I was working. Pics to come when my packages come in.
    Bart's is trash, but Albums on the Hill was worse. I met up with Pointman while there, forgot to mention big up mang! Thanks for showing me the good spot (now defunct) in Boulder.
    T.N.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    sup J**n, yeah i'm still buggin about that place in Boulder that Pointman showed you. I wanna try and see if I can get in there still on some after-the-fact-lemme-take-some-stuff-off-your-hands status before the shop is gone for good. Glad you came through briefly! You'll have to check out Mutiny Now next time you're in town (if ever). It's that one that I mentioned closes at 5 every day. Big unorganized mess of records in a book store, but I've found some pretty boss shit in there before. everything $5 and if you get more than 2 he'll cut a deal. I always forget about that place when telling people about spots. It's only been there a couple years. Till next time!

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    Sorry to hear that.
    Brace your self for a bombardment of clueless, cornball, granola ass, psuedo liberal...D-O-R-K-S. ESPECIALLY IOWA CITY---The kuncklehead capitol of the US

PS.
    Sorry to offend any Iowa City dwellers!