-

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Dell's...laptops = shitty

I was just about to rep my bottom-of-the-line Dell home PC which I???ve had for 6+ years and have never had a single problem with. Based on that experience I was going to buy one of those cheap(er) Dell laptops. But there???s a massive amount of hatting goin on here? What gives?

Let???s get some horror stories. How have these laptops done you wrong? I want first hand accounts! Let???s have em.

Um...I had picked up about 10 brand new laptops for my unit a little while back (9 months).

I gave one to somebody about 2 months ago. Fresh out the box. About a month later, the backlight on the monitor went out.

I also want to add that Dell monitors and printers are also shitty. I've seen so many breakdown over the past 5 years.

Dell gets the gasface.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Dell gets the gasface.

Then can you (or anyone else) recommend a < $1000 PC alternative? Actually $500 - $800 would be ideal.

The laptop is going to be an on-the-road / vacation laptop only; I???ll do everything else on my beloved 6 yr old dell desktop. So quality can be substandard, as I???m gonna be lugging it around on vacation, rockin the free wifi at McDonalds south of the border. Thing might even get stolen which is fine - unfortunate, but I???ll be alright.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Dell gets the gasface.

Then can you (or anyone else) recommend a < $1000 PC alternative? Actually $500 - $800 would be ideal.

The laptop is going to be an on-the-road / vacation laptop only; I???ll do everything else on my beloved 6 yr old dell desktop. So quality can be substandard, as I???m gonna be lugging it around on vacation, rockin the free wifi at McDonalds south of the border. Thing might even get stolen which is fine - unfortunate, but I???ll be alright.

Compaq, dawg.

• coldcutscoldcuts 388 Posts
    I'm looking for an affordable laptop myself. I'm going away to school and I want one for writing papers and such as well as for music making purposes.

Any recommenedations for either Mac or PC?
    price range?

Well I'm hoping to find a used one maybe, so let's say 800-1200.

• For a Mac, really anything. I run an iBook G4 maxed 12" and it's a serious machine. I believe that the Powerbooks are really more important if you want to run more visual and video processor intensive apps, but really ther'r all good.

You said it. I've got an ibook g4 that I use for location recording and what not. It's real quick, small, and hella reliable. Never crashes or anything. Last thing I want when I'm recording is "ILLEGAL OPERATION!".

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    throw all allegiance of OS's aside, you dudes are getting way off topic w/ this os x > xp or linux > os x talk.

Build quality wise, Apple and IBM/Lenovo have the best track records on the market, hands down. Both companies make quality laptops that are built like tanks. Both also offer good warranty service and will own up to their fuckups (product recalls/part replacement). You really do get what you pay for with computers, if you buy a $600 laptop, you will get $600 worth of value. Take that for what it's worth......

People HATE change, even if that change will improve their quality of life. We as people are pretty damn stubborn and set in our ways. This applies to every facet of our lives, from the food we eat, to the music we listen to, to the vacations we take, to the computers we use.

Why do you think corporations fiercly advertise to the pre 25 set? They want to develop brand loyalty, then get at your cash when you become an old stubborn bastard.

Yes I'm talking about you, don't deny it. You are an old stubborn bastard.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I've been rocking a really cheap one from Office Depot for 1/2 year now, no complaints. Compaq Presario. Rebate deal made it $500 or so a year back, now it's like $300 or something insane. Great for web surfing, slsk, etc.

I do like to do all my graphics on the Mac at home (dual g4 mirror drive) but for web and other file related work, I'm just faster on a PC.

...And that's why at work I rock both a new Dell desktop along with a sturdy G4. I tested a new dual imac for a week but parallels is still kind of buggy/crashy. We were running memory intensive software on both OS's so it was no surprise.

• i dont have a laptop, but ive been doing alot of research.

yeah a dualcore mac is a dualcore pc, but the fact is that as a laptop, the macbooks are so much better integrated than the pc laptops.

even price difference diminishes once you configure a pc laptop to match an mbpro. you may be looking at a couple hundred dollars more for the mac but everything is tailored together on a mac so it just runs better.

and i use a pc. if i were looking for a desktop it'd be pc all day. but i really think the mac laptops are better. that's where im spending my money.

and yeah it's probably not perfect. but slapbook plus parallels?

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    Mac Book.

I'm being serious here people: has ANYONE on this board ever bought a Mac and regretted it?

any info on win xp on this bad boy? i want to buy mac, but need windows for work-related programs...

• kojackkojack 42 Posts
    Mac Book.

any info on win xp on this bad boy? i want to buy mac, but need windows for work-related programs...

Parallels Desktop is no joke. I maxed out the RAM in my 2.0 Ghz MacBook, and it doesn't hesitate.

OSX + XP + Ubuntu =

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I've been rocking a really cheap one from Office Depot for 1/2 year now, no complaints. Compaq Presario. Rebate deal made it $500 or so a year back, now it's like $300 or something insane. Great for web surfing, slsk, etc.

I do like to do all my graphics on the Mac at home (dual g4 mirror drive) but for web and other file related work, I'm just faster on a PC.

...And that's why at work I rock both a new Dell desktop along with a sturdy G4. I tested a new dual imac for a week but parallels is still kind of buggy/crashy. We were running memory intensive software on both OS's so it was no surprise.

thank you. I'ma look into this. yours got the wireless network card?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    My uncle just picked up one of these for $600

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pavili...roductDetail.do

- spidey

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm not anti-Mac by any means, but I was never given any real reason to go the other way

Folks seem to prop up the OS as one of the main reasons Macs are superior, but I've spent some time with two iBooks and both crashed or locked up AT LEAST as much as the PCs I've dealt with

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    I just bought a laptop from these guys: www.cyberpowerpc.com

this one specifically: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/ntbkx648000.asp?v=d

upgraded the memory and hard drive... Didn't get the OS (had a friend install everything and saved $85) With free shipping and the 5% discount I got it for $983.

Bought it after 2 friends that are big tech geeks got one from this company and said
    good things about them and I have been happy with it since. Using Reason 3.0 and Adobe Audition have a shit load of MP3's and have had no problems at all.

• per0per0 153 Posts
    Mac Book.

Parallels Desktop is no joke. I maxed out the RAM in my 2.0 Ghz MacBook, and it doesn't hesitate.

OSX + XP + Ubuntu =
    Shit looks dope. I got a Powerbook about 2 months before they dropped the MacBook.

But as for my Mac.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    People HATE change, even if that change will improve their quality of life. We as people are pretty damn stubborn and set in our ways. This applies to every facet of our lives, from the food we eat, to the music we listen to, to the vacations we take, to the computers we use.

Why do you think corporations fiercly advertise to the pre 25 set? They want to develop brand loyalty, then get at your cash when you become an old stubborn bastard.

Yes I'm talking about you, don't deny it. You are an old stubborn bastard.

Man, this is all so true! The best way I've ever heard it put is, "Mac vs. PC is like Protestant vs. Catholic in Ireland. You're not gonna convince one that the other is right and it'll just get ugly."

I realize that Macs are really great, but I just prefer PCs. I've had jobs where I had to work on Macs all day, but I just don't care for them. They certainly are pretty, though.

• DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts

- spidey

yo, that's not too shabby, but how did he get it for $600?? the website has it listed as like $950...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    This is the conclusion that I came up with:
    -Mac=ideal for design work, music related projects, and stuff like that.

-PC=great for business (work) related things (i.e microsoft excel, word, etc,.)

Not mad at PC's but I can't wait to get my MacBook next week!

• DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts
    this laptop looks nice.

speedy, lots of RAM

sufficient HD space. large screen. DVD/CD burner w/ lightscribe technology.

a friend of mine works at Best Buy and says he gets 40% off car audio and tv's and shit. I wonder if he gets 40% off computers too...cuz if he does that shit would be

• Still searching. Anyone have some opinions on the following?

Toshiba Satellite A105-S4074 15.4" Widescreen Notebook Computer With Intel Centrino Duo Mobile Technology And Intel Core Duo Processor T2050

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?leve...el=SK&An=browse

Gateway Notebook with AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-34

Model: MX6441

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...d=1149204927355

• Still searching. Anyone have some opinions on the following?

Toshiba Satellite A105-S4074 15.4" Widescreen Notebook Computer With Intel Centrino Duo Mobile Technology And Intel Core Duo Processor T2050

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?leve...el=SK&An=browse

Gateway Notebook with AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-34

Model: MX6441

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...d=1149204927355

The Satellite looks like a great machine which will serve you well for few years and Toshibas are built to last. Although customer service is slooooow. The other Gateway is $300 less but the spec is a little on the low side.

• parenparen 537 Posts

2. Software??? I???m gonna be jacking all my software: photoshop / illustrator / flash / office / homesite ( I like homesite ) / all fonts and anything else I can think to steal from my pl*ce of empl*ym*nt. With a Mac, my pirating game is all too easy[/b].

I'm preparing to flip my 1.5GHz G4 PowerBook for a Mac Book Pro if/when Apple announces the Core 2 Duo move. If you're in the market for a capable PowerBook (I presently use Microwave, Ableton, Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS, Flash 8, FontLab Studio, and much more regularly), hit me up when you see that Core 2 Duo bump.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    Visio on my Mac laptop =

• 2. Software??? I???m gonna be jacking all my software: photoshop / illustrator / flash / office / homesite ( I like homesite ) / all fonts and anything else I can think to steal from my pl*ce of empl*ym*nt. With a Mac, my pirating game is all too easy[/b].

I'm preparing to flip my 1.5GHz G4 PowerBook for a Mac Book Pro if/when Apple announces the Core 2 Duo move. If you're in the market for a capable PowerBook (I presently use Microwave, Ableton, Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS, Flash 8, FontLab Studio, and much more regularly), hit me up when you see that Core 2 Duo bump.
    How could I get this software for free?
    I really would like to add photoshop to my arsenal.

• I'm preparing to flip my 1.5GHz G4 PowerBook for a Mac Book Pro if/when Apple announces the Core 2 Duo move. If you're in the market for a capable PowerBook (I presently use Microwave, Ableton, Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS, Flash 8, FontLab Studio, and much more regularly), hit me up when you see that Core 2 Duo bump.

Do it now.... rumor is apple is going to show off/announce universal binaries of adobe products mid-september. Of course adobe still says Q2 2007 for native version of creative suite, but hey.

I love my macbook..... pumped it up with another gig of ram (so total of 1.25 gigs) and it's very satisfactory. Haven't maxed out the free memory yet. Hated the shiny screen at first, but you hardly notice it once the screen is on. Super light as well and has an audio input - an obvious mistake in the old iBooks.

Plus my *broken* powerbook 15" 1.25 ghz sold on ebay for $500! A new macbook was only $1000! And I loaded everything directly from it when setting up the thing.... very nice... feels just like home.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Anybody use an HP or Gateway laptop? What's the deal with these? I'm looking at the Gateway right now.

Also, should I go with AMD Turion 64 Intel Centrino Duo?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

yo, that's not too shabby, but how did he get it for $600?? the website has it listed as like $950...

Shit, sorry I didn't see this earlier. He found it listed on the internet on some site for $650. SO he printed out the AD brought it in to Circuit City, and they price matched it, he told them he needed it for work, and couldn't wait for shipping. And they still gave him the rebate.

It's a great laptop, and it just outlived his daughters Mac which has gone for service.

- spidey

• I run an iBook G4 maxed 12" and it's a serious machine. I believe that the Powerbooks are really more important if you want to run more visual and video processor intensive apps, but really ther'r all good.

What exactly is "maxed out?" (I'm very atechnical.) I too am looking into getting a laptop for Microwave use Do you use solely for DJing or do you use it for personal use also?

Fuck the How Can I Be Down? conference, I want to attend the Cosmo Baker Get On My Level annual soiree!

Herm

• I run an iBook G4 maxed 12" and it's a serious machine. I believe that the Powerbooks are really more important if you want to run more visual and video processor intensive apps, but really ther'r all good.

What exactly is "maxed out?" (I'm very atechnical.) I too am looking into getting a laptop for Microwave use Do you use solely for DJing or do you use it for personal use also?

Fuck the How Can I Be Down? conference, I want to attend the Cosmo Baker Get On My Level annual soiree!

Herm

WHOA!!!

S*rato doesn't come out like S*rato when I type it!!!

Trip out, hoLmes...

Herm

• My uncle just picked up one of these for $600

- spidey

Shit, sorry I didn't see this earlier. He found it listed on the internet on some site for $650. SO he printed out the AD brought it in to Circuit City, and they price matched it, he told them he needed it for work, and couldn't wait for shipping. And they still gave him the rebate.

It's a great laptop, and it just outlived his daughters Mac which has gone for service.

- spidey

THIS is the laptop I want. if you can find out the website I would greatly appreciate it. $650 or even $700 is a grear deal. ask your pops