Have y'all seen?

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Have any of y'all seen on Okayplayer the Little Brother dudes whining about not being able to move a crowd in Fayetteville on a bill that included Three 6 Mafia, Young Joc, and Dem Franchise Boyz? Way too funny...

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Hey that guy isn't in little brother.
    They should change their name to 'lil brother' lol lmao rofl

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I figured at least D*n*el would be all over this.

Oh well, I'm still laughing...

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    I figured at least D*n*el would be all over this.

Oh well, I'm still laughing...

he's probably still reeling a little bit from little brother's suprise guest appearance at the talib kweli show in chapel hill this weekend... i wasn't there, but i heard it was crazy... LRG track jackets and hackey sacks were flying everywhere!

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Outside of the fact that they get very little support in NC anywhere, I am surprised that they were surprised they didn't go over in Fayettenam... That is one locale that is almost purely corporate radio driven.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=s...ing_type=search

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Last night me and Pooh had our worst show EVER yo....

Summerjam in Fayetteville last night was, unquestionably, the worst LB show ever.

I'm talkin ICE COLD yo.....the 'WOAT'......I think a breakdancing midget woulda got a better response than we did.

Real shit, I was *this* close to rhyming with my back turned to them niggas.

Imagine this lineup:
    -Three Six Mafia
    -Rick Ross
    -Young Dro
    -Young Joc
    -Dem Franchize Boyz
    -The Musicianz
    -and....
    -Little Brother?

It sounds like the setup to a bad '...so these guys walk into a bar' joke, I know...

NOW imagine a sea of 8,000 faces......completely still AND silent.

Don't get me wrong, once we accepted the gig I knew we were up against impossible odds, but I'm never one to back down from any challenge. The worst they can do is boo a nigga, right?

Wrong.

The worst they can do is look confused, and stare at you like you're the only boca burger at a steak buffet.

I thought niggas would at least nod and act like they're *trying* to give us a chance, right?

Nope.
    None.
    Zilch.
    Nada.

Its like I could hear Jamie Foxx's voice in my head, taunting me like ol' boy at that roast:

"Damn, I really don't belong in this motherfucker.
    I am your conscience.
    Black people really don't like me.
    I am your conscience.
    Maybe you niggas should do that 'Lovin It' song and wrap it up....yeah, that'll get 'em on your side.
    I am your conscience."

I think me and Pooh looked at each other and burst out laughing mid-song at one point, cause we couldn't believe how badly we were bombing....lol

Don't get it twisted....I understand how the 'concept' of Little Brother and/or "Minstrel Show" can be off putting and even intimidating to today's mainstream Black audience (three college educated niggas who ain't trappin and/or reppin one particular hood or housing project = The Cosby Show in the eyes of most niggas....real talk)......

But c'mon, now....

The stage show is when all those notions are supposed to fall to the side cause that's the 'oh, noooow I get it!' moment. That's when you see me and Pooh jumping and bouncing and rocking and realize, 'oh, they some regular niggas just like me.' Right?

Nope.
    None.
    Zilch.
    Nada.

Shit like yesterday makes me wonder if the Black 'masses' and/or urban radio will EVER get what LB is trying to do.....

I know 9th doesn't make 808 beats.
    I know me and Pooh don't have a 'leanwidditpeanutbutterandtaffy' song with its own accompanying dance.
    I know HotFoxy9102.5 ain't runnin our joint every hour on the hour.

But damn....

I really wonder sometimes if my music is that 'intelligent' or are niggas just that dumb? (Or 'conditioned' to be a little more PC about it?)

I'mma keep doin' me and sadly assume the latter.

Little Brother
    Getback
    Atlantic Records '07

We move on. Again.

Tay

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Don't get it twisted....I understand how the 'concept' of Little Brother and/or "Minstrel Show" can be off putting and even intimidating to today's mainstream Black audience (three college educated niggas who ain't trappin and/or reppin one particular hood or housing project = The Cosby Show in the eyes of most niggas....real talk)......

I really wonder sometimes if my music is that 'intelligent' or are niggas just that dumb? (Or 'conditioned' to be a little more PC about it?)

Blaming the audience for not being smart enough = Pathetic

Outside of the fact that they get very little support in NC anywhere, I am surprised that they were surprised they didn't go over in Fayettenam... That is one locale that is almost purely corporate radio driven.

And??? Little Brother had the chance to rock a contemporary rap audience. And their music/performance didn't cut the mustard. Worse than that, here they are days later on the internet proclaiming that the reason why they couldn't reach the crowd was because the crowd was too dumb to get them. I find that absolutely pathetic...and that's coming from someone who has liked much of Little Brother's 2 albums as well as their live show.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    If I were them, I would not have accepted that gig.
    It seems that they knew before hand that the audience weren't gonna be with them.
    Why would they set themselves up for failure?

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

i would imagine that "the mainstream black audience" would LOVE to have an alternative to the message-less music being played on the radio. however, if little brother isnt making people's heads nod, who cares what their message is. people aren't listening to radio and cds in order to educate themselves. at least, i hope they aren't.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    If I were them, I would not have accepted that gig.
    It seems that they knew before hand that the audience weren't gonna be with them.
    Why would they set themselves up for failure?

$$$$$

fayettenam. man that place sucks balls no homo.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i would imagine that "the mainstream black audience" would LOVE to have an alternative to the message-less music being played on the radio.

NOPE.

I like them but arent they a RETRO group? Rehashing the BoomBap?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    little brother is so smart and the concert goers are so dumb.

yet, they couldn't entertain a group of dumb people?

why didn't they just come out in blackface and rap some stupid lyrics?

fuck that shit.

i would imagine that "the mainstream black audience" would LOVE to have an alternative to the message-less music being played on the radio. however, if little brother isnt making people's heads nod, who cares what their message is. people aren't listening to radio and cds in order to educate themselves. at least, i hope they aren't.

LOL at the idea of anyone hungering for Little Brother's "message"?

What is that "message," exactly? Something along the lines of "It's a shame we missed out on 1994, but if we try really hard and click our ruby red mics together, we can all pretend that the last decade never happened!"?

*Newsflash for Little Brother*

Even many white college audiences are long-since sick of hearing that tired boom-bap steez being recycled over and over and over and over again.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

And??? Little Brother had the chance to rock a contemporary rap audience. And their music/performance didn't cut the mustard. Worse than that, here they are days later on the internet proclaiming that the reason why they couldn't reach the crowd was because the crowd was too dumb to get them. I find that absolutely pathetic...and that's coming from someone who has liked much of Little Brother's 2 albums as well as their live show.

First off, having lived in NC for a number of years, the audience in fayettenam is something else... Yes it's a contemporary rap audience but that whole areas of the state is its own world. My point was only that LB should have realized going into that show that they stood little to no chance of even being known to that audience much less even accepted/appreciated. Add to that the fact that they have very little support throughout NC except in pockets here or there, then they are really going to have a battle to gain acceptance at a ashow like that.

I am not defending them complaining about it, its just not surprising to me or most people that they would not have gone over well in that area. If it would have been Asheville or Wilmington or Chapel Hill (all college towns) then I would have been mildly surprised. But even so again, the general lack of support from NC for LB would have watered down that surprise. Most artists that are not on the radio couldn't cut it in Fayetteville, especially at a show like that.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Lupe Fiasco. Savior-rap.

Don't get me wrong, once we accepted the gig I knew we were up against impossible odds, but I'm never one to back down from any challenge. The worst they can do is boo a nigga, right?

I have no problem w/ them trying. They could have done their "familar" joint over a "Local Black Exp" dub.

Lupe Fiasco. Savior-rap.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

LOL at the idea of anyone hungering for Little Brother's "message"?

What is that "message," exactly? Something along the lines of "It's a shame we missed out on 1994, but if we try really hard and click our ruby red mics together, we can all pretend that the last decade never happened!"?

i was speaking generally as a response to his rant, and not on little brother, who i haven't checked since their first album. yes, the mainstream black audience would like an alternative to laffy taffy on the radio. no, i dont believe people are going to sacrifice their musical taste (bad or good) for music with a message.

Lupe Fiasco. Savior-rap.

I prefer "fanboy rap"

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Sorry, but I just saw his interview on MTV and couldn't resist. Something about Chicago being the melting pot of rap and how he has a socially conscious message to deliver.

Yes, please lyrically insult us to a lifeless beat = the m.o. of a smart audience, correct?

New graemlin pleez.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I DJ'd and had a record sale table at a local indie girl craft market this past weekend. The twentysomething girl helping with the table next to mine out of the blue started talking about Talib Kweli. I think her words were "I like Talib but he's always so... disgruntled."

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

Lupe Fiasco. Savior-rap.
    I prefer "fanboy rap"
    I find it odd that "kick push" is getting BET spins. If that isn't evidence of payola I dunno what is.

Kanye West affiliated.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Or maybe its just a good song?

What dont u like?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

What dont u like?
    U&Dat, but nice selective memory anyway.