olympia wa.(help)

stilldigginstilldiggin 223 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
to whom may be concerned: im moving from the east coast to olympia. I dont know what im gonna do or really, where im gonna end up. i dont know anyone or anything about the city. im am doing some reaserch, and trying to find a part time job. anyone who could help find:-good layed back job (food,music,easy)-good record stores/dealers-good things for my head-good people -or knoledge please help. thank you.

Comments

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    You just reminded me of the Rancid song. Thanks! I'm gonna throw that on now.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Olympia? Craig Green has records. Bring your hackey sack, frisbee and petchouli oil! LOL

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    stilldiggin, you should move to Seattle. Olympia is just a few government offices, Evergreen state college and lots of hippies. Not much going on down there.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

im moving from the east coast to olympia. i dont know anyone or anything about the city.

Chan is 100% on point with his advice, come north my brotha...
    Seattle's got tons more to offer on all fronts.
    I gotta ask what was the attraction if you don't know anyone
    or anything about the town?
    Good luck wherever you touchdown, if it's Seattle holla!
    One more piece of advice don't be the the east coaster who
    comes out west to find himself, and all he does is complain about
    how much different it is here and how much he misses the "Cheesesteaks"
    or the "Grinders" or the "Bagels" or whatever. That guy gets the bozak!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i like hairy-armpit girls. olympia is good... but you end up killing yourself if you move there.

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
    Olympia is a tough town to live in. I lived there for a year and a half from '96-'98. Not much to do, hard to find work, I didn't have much luck for records, and the weather gets pretty intensely depressing if you don't have anything to take your mind off of it. Seattle is pretty cool, though, as is Portland. You should pm me and I'll shed what wisdom on the town that I can...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    If all of you think Olympia sucks, try living in Lakewood. That has to be the armpit of Pierce County.

• thanks to all
    i dont know where im going to end up. i am planning on traveling with my sister and might go off on my own, dont know yet. i will post more when know. I have heard from most that the job market is tough in olympia. i think that will need a partime job when i arrive, at least for a month, is seattle the same? hard to get a job?

• Special_EdSpecial_Ed 315 Posts
    Olympia doesn't suck like these fools are saying, you'll be fine. I've been living/going to school @ Evergreen for the past 3 years and its been all good. Oly is a college town so the weekends are fly.

Records: There are a couple of spots, Rainy Day Recs, Phantom City, Rec The Place, and even our Goodwill has some joints from time to time.

Job Outlook: Not so good, since Oly is a college town, there are 1,000's of kids + locals trying to get paid. If you've got a job secured, hold on to it...

Overall - it's a nice area to chill out at for awhile. It's nothing like the rest of Washington State. It's a nice break from the city & suburbs. I'll be heading back in Sept. Holler @ me, we'll catch a drink.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    i like hairy-armpit girls.