TOP 5 SCRATCH DJs OF ALL TIME

Comments

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    Does Kid Koala count???

I sure think he does!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DJ Icy C of the Miami Boyz is extremly dope.

Those scratches on "Hype Jam" are extremely

I put in another vote for Kid Koala as well. That guy is ridiculously tight.

• dj marz

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

dj marz

WATERMELON HIKE FLARE WITH ANNOY THE DJ ORBIT RUB COMBO

• also:

mutiny stabs

&

crab hi-jacks

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts

i wish in battles, they would eliminate all mixers w/ curves on the faders.
    and mostly NO BATTLE BREAK records !!! we would then see who truly is deserving of the titles
    shits kinda like steroids in sports.
    last year i judged the dmc in boston, dj supreme was in it...he killed it, using all original records, classic routines..he did this one juggle w/ jam master j...then another with ll cool j where he spelled his name out the s the u the p...etc. dude should have won...all the new jacks in the crowd did not appreciate the realness tho...just like at bboy jams where the crowd is amazed at dudes doing 80million flairs and all gymnast power moves with no flavor at all...meanwhile shit is not bboying...its a-nnoying.
    teach the youth

• waximilienwaximilien 352 Posts
    pump did a routine with only 2 records a few years back. that was impressive and a lot more like it

that said, dexta won that year

i was at daredevils house before the UK DMCs watching him and 2tall practice bits/show each other routines. watching them flip "one thing" one way, then the other another etc. back and forth was pretty incredible at times. battles ought to be more like that shit. maybe a battle limited to only X records would be an interesting idea? fuck knows though. does anyone care right now?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I'm not trying derail this thread but who here have seen the DMC US finals from 2004 and 2005??

I watched the 2003 US finals and wanted my money back afterwards.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

and mostly NO BATTLE BREAK records !!! we would then see who truly is deserving of the titles
    last year i judged the dmc in boston, dj supreme was in it...he killed it, using all original records, classic routines..he did this one juggle w/ jam master j...then another with ll cool j where he spelled his name out the s the u the p...etc. dude should have won...all the new jacks in the crowd did not appreciate the realness tho...just like at bboy jams where the crowd is amazed at dudes doing 80million flairs and all gymnast power moves with no flavor at all...meanwhile shit is not bboying...its a-nnoying.
    teach the youth

I could care less about current DJ battles or current battle DJs. I have videos of the New Music Seminar battles and those are DOPE!!!!!!!!! Cats used original records, crappy old gemini mixers and were funky! They had a lot more style. Steve D introducing beat jugling? NEXT LEVEL!! The old DMC regionals were dope too. All of the DJ battles stopped being fresh when the seminar battles ended in 95. I still watch the old seminar battles ALL the time. Miz and Alladin battle never gets old.

I have videos of the New Music Seminar battles and those are DOPE!!!!!!!!!

can i got 2 and a side of with that

Miz and Alladin battle never gets old.

Somebody, anybody, PLAESE to Youtube this!

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    All of the DJ battles stopped being fresh when the seminar battles ended in 95.

I CALL BULLSHIT. X-MEN VS. ISP '96 ITF?

The DJ's from the 80s are especialy dope because they scratched in a "musical" way while most of the DJs today scratch in a "technical" way.

That's why D-Styles is the G.O.A.T. Technical skills up the wazoo without any lack of flavor. Flows like a muhfucka funky as shit. DJ Flare too.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Okay, you got me. But that would be the only exception mayne.

dude...ISP wiped the floor with those dudes in the first 2 minutes (It was a 10 minute routine?). That was probally one of the best things I've ever seen in terms of deejaying.

Also when the Beatjunkies soned the fuck out of 5th Platoon at ITF in 96.

dude...ISP wiped the floor with those dudes in the first 2 minutes (It was a 10 minute routine?). That was probally one of the best things I've ever seen in terms of deejaying.

Also when the Beatjunkies soned the fuck out of 5th Platoon at ITF in 96.

Yes.

And I am a big fan of the X-men (X-ecutioners) and the 5th Platoon.

"Roc..Raida....Roc...Raida...Roc...Raida.........Can't Scratch" OHHHHHHH SCCHIIITT!!!!

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    all the obvious ones are named but. . .you's are sleeping on DOUBLE K. of p.u.t.s.
    peace, stein. . .

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I'm not trying derail this thread but who here have seen the DMC US finals from 2004 and 2005??

the last REAL eye-twisting DMC set was when Craze won in 1998 at the Us finals when Finesse was hosting it...

The last battle full of dopeness was the US Finals in 1999 in San Francisco (I judged that shit).. Spicktakular, Develop, P-Trix... damn...

THE MOST UNDERATED DUDE OUT THERE WITH ROUTINES RIGHT NOW IS A-TRAK. THAT DUDE HAS BEEN STAYING AHEAD OF HIS GAME RIGHT TO THIS MINUTE. REAL HEADZ KNOW THE DILLY.

other than that, all that Ricki Rucker type scratch steeze bores the fuck outta me. If I wanted to listen to downtempo experimental hip-hop, I'd listen to it. I saw them in Tokyo live. It was a real snooze festival.

D-Styles is the truth tho.

I'm so happy I sold turntablism.com to 75ark records back in the day for a fat wad of cash... that was my pre-diggin' days. Guess who my web designer was??? Mike Van Olden.... damn, that dude tried to show me breaks too, but I wasn't listening

peace.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    THE MOST UNDERATED DUDE OUT THERE WITH ROUTINES RIGHT NOW IS A-TRAK. THAT DUDE HAS BEEN STAYING AHEAD OF HIS GAME RIGHT TO THIS MINUTE. REAL HEADZ KNOW THE DILLY.

the last REAL eye-twisting DMC set was when Craze won in 1998 at the Us finals when Finesse was hosting it...

The last battle full of dopeness was the US Finals in 1999 in San Francisco (I judged that shit).. Spicktakular, Develop, P-Trix... damn...

other than that, all that Ricki Rucker type scratch steeze bores the fuck outta me. If I wanted to listen to downtempo experimental hip-hop, I'd listen to it. I saw them in Tokyo live. It was a real snooze festival.

D-Styles is the truth tho.

I'm so happy I sold turntablism.com to 75ark records back in the day for a fat wad of cash... that was my pre-diggin' days. Guess who my web designer was??? Mike Van Olden.... damn, that dude tried to show me breaks too, but I wasn't listening

peace.
    I'm cosigning pretty much that whole post.

I watched the DMC US finals ('97 and '98) over the past weekend. I have to say that the US finals from '96 to '99 were the best. Too many facemelting moments on those tapes.

And as far as A-Trak...
    is it not common knowledge that dude always been 2 steps ahead of most dj's???

just sayin'.

all the obvious ones are named but. . .you's are sleeping on DOUBLE K. of p.u.t.s.
    peace, stein. . .

YO! I was just listening to that dj track he did on OST. Dude has some super nice transforms and crabs. I heard that dude doesn't even have turntables.

WHO STILL PRACTICES? I'll admit I barely practice (I just can't find time/I'd rather make beats/work on dj sets)...but yo I need to have a scratch huddle with my bay dudes and rep it like it was 2000 or some shit. I know when I'm at b-cizause's I wear my scratch hat, but that's about it.

Yo Natty Boy, 'member when I would come over, get lifted and we would scratch over like that Edan beat or something?

WHICH DUDES CAN RECITE SCRATCH SENTENCES FROM LIKE DUCK BREAKS . s t a n d u p

Guess who my web designer was??? Mike Van Olden.... damn, that dude tried to show me breaks too, but I wasn't listening

where the fuck is he now?

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Jazzy Jeff and Joe Cooley will go down as the most influential to me.
    I could make a laundry list of all the illest.

• pookeyblowpookeyblow 406 Posts

teach the youth

FUCK BATTLE RECORDS + SERATO/FINAL SCRATCH

WHO STILL PRACTICES?[/b]. I'll admit I barely practice (I just can't find time/I'd rather make beats/work on dj sets)...but yo I need to have a scratch huddle with my bay dudes and rep it like it was 2000 or some shit. I know when I'm at b-cizause's I wear my scratch hat, but that's about it.

Not as much as I should, but I still do sometimes. Like you, when I have time for music, I typically spend it either making beats or working on sets/mixes, but I try to sneak some scratching in there as well. When Faust & Shortee are in town, we usually end up having a good old-fashioned scratch session (best believe I get thoroughly by those two), but that's not something that happens on a regular basis.

• pookeyblowpookeyblow 406 Posts
    btw,

1. DJ PREMIER
    2. DJ PREMIER
    3. DJ PREMIER
    4. DJ PREMIER
    5. DJ PREMIER

WHO STILL PRACTICES?[/b]

yep, though usually when i'm testing out a new beat more than properly having a cut session. i don't have anyone locally to get into with these days, which i miss a lot

• dayday 9,612 Posts

FUCK BATTLE RECORDS + SERATO

Easy there, Chachi.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    btw,

1. DJ PREMIER
    2. DJ PREMIER
    3. DJ PREMIER
    4. DJ PREMIER
    5. DJ PREMIER

I think Primo himself would probably disagree.