Top 5 Bay Area Rap Songs

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    yes...

I guess there is a greater distance between Berkeley High and Wall Street than we initially were told...

That said, dude, Robert, those records DID get play. They did. But where is Keak? Where is Turf? Signed to local yokel deals who can't push these dudes beyond California. The Federation and the Pack are the only ones who have any potential to do anything at this point and quite frankly the Federation are mediocre. 40 is the only one that stuck because 40 is the one who got the label push (he is also the most easily-identifiable... Keak would've done well but he is still caught up in contract drama). Why didn't these other artists get the label push? The vast, vast majority signed on with shady ass Bay Area hustlers who promised them the world and paid them in chains and cars. Bay rappers themselves are not very concerned with 'going national'.

Now they are all mad at it and dissing each other which of course will sink the Bay Area into musical
    obscurity for another 10 years.

Dereliks - Looking For The Perfect Beat

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

but do you have the 12" ep??

Somehow I lost my copy of Explainin' though and that makes me mad.

Can we get a comprehensive list of Unsigned&HellaBroke-era vinyl releases from the Bay? I have the 4001 EP, Rules Of The Game comp, Hobo Junction stuff, and my own shit but that's about it.

• I was just realizing recently how much I consistently like the Federation.

I've been know'd to have bad taste tho...

Do The On One
    I Only Wear My White Tee's Once
    What If I Had A Gun
    Go Dumb
    18 Dummy

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Where is Turf? Signed to local yokel deals who can't push these dudes beyond California.

Isn't Turf signed to Sick-Wit-It, though?

You would kind of think that 40 would be able to do something to shepherd his career...

• But it's also artistic-- pretty much every hyphy artist out here is making the same fucking record right now.

Ya mean, like Lil Jon? Or Ciara? Or Paul Wall?

The national rap audience clearly doesn't mind blatant repetition.

Yeah, but you can at least tell a Lil Jon record from a Ciara record and a Ciara record from a Paul Wall record. It seems like most of the artists in the bay are using the exact same formula to make songs (excluding, of course, folks like the Mob Figaz, Hiero and Messy Marv who are all getting their money by more or less doing what they've been doing).

If national radio would've given ANY burn to the likes of Superhyphy, Super Sick Wid It, Hell Yeah, Got My Vans On, 18 Dummy, etc. folks in bumfuck would have a lot more to talk about Bay-wise than just E-40.

Do you honestly expect national radio to jump on records that are two years old ("Superhyphy", "Super Sick wid It")? I'm not saying it never happens (e.g., "Still Tippin'", "Swang"), just that it really seldom does.

As for the more recent stuff, "Vans" will probably do all right if it gets a little push, "Hell Yeah" is okay but not great and "18 Dummy" didn't really do anything in the bay (although radio here seems to be all over "Stunna Glasses at Night").

I was just realizing recently how much I consistently like the Federation.

Do The On One
    What If I Had A Gun
    Go Dumb
    18 Dummy

I love them because of Rick Rock and... is it Goldie? The one with the high pitched voice.

I will admit that for a pretty average group (with the notable exception of rick rock) they make some friggin great records.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

That said, dude, Robert, those records DID get play. They did.

Not in Austin they didn't. In fact I can say with much confidence that none of those songs have seen a single spin on either of the 2 big rap stations in town.

Had they though, people would have jumped all over them.

I think I've already recounted how reluctant radio play for Tell Me When to Go was here, despite all of its MTV and BET action, despite even that locals were voting it to be included in the nightly Hot 8 at 8 countdown for a month straight. You coulda looked at the 8 songs on any given night during that run and noticed stuff by Trae, Chamillionaire, Bubba Sparks, TI, etc. played repeatedly all day long to the point of nausea. But Tell Me When to Go...maybe you'd hear it twice in a day...and one of those was during the countdown.

Dudes from core neighborhoods still repeat lines from Tell me When to Go like it's become part of their everyday fabric. They're also wanting to hear more from Keak because of that single song. But the corporate Baller Blockers continue to hate.

Which brings me to the subject of E-40 now being all over the radio. He's doing it, and I definitely love it, but it's obvious that it's only because he dumbed down his flow for both Snap Ya Fingaz and U & Dat. Apparently heads still ain't ready for 40's more complicated rhyme patterns.

• I was just realizing recently how much I consistently like the Federation.

Do The On One
    What If I Had A Gun
    Go Dumb
    18 Dummy

Add "Hoes Up in Here" and it's a pretty strong list. Now who's been calling Young Borg's taste ?

• attempt at a 'classic' top five

MAc Mall f. MAc Dre- Pimp Shit
    Totally Insane- The Arrival EP
    Too Short- Gettin It
    E-40- Let's Side
    Cellski-Mr Predictor

fuck it 5 slots ain't enuff

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I love them because of Rick Rock and... is it Goldie? The one with the high pitched voice.

i'm a big fan of matic-matic-matic

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    yeah i have the dereliks, the rules of the game, sold the 4001 on ebay cuz i can't stand MJ or most of LL stuff. Saafir had the much hated Trigonometry joint (Mr. No No!). Then That smart bomb track a bit later around the time HJ The Cleaners came out. That smart bomb shit was kinda surprising coming from Saafir... I know there's other shit I'm completely forgetting....

Where is Turf? Signed to local yokel deals who can't push these dudes beyond California.

Isn't Turf signed to Sick-Wit-It, though?

You would kind of think that 40 would be able to do something to shepherd his career...

I seem to remember hearing that Turf signed a new deal... might be wrong though

And I'm pretty sure 40 can't do much to help him... I mean, 40's busy doing him right now and Lil Jon's the gatekeeper.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Who is Keak signed with now?
    When I left the Yay (2000) he was doin' a bunch of local stuff.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Do The On One
    What If I Had A Gun
    Go Dumb
    18 Dummy

I will admit that for a pretty average group (with the notable exception of rick rock) they make some friggin great records.

Federation is far from being a "pretty average group." Excellent delivery, infectious hooks, great sense of humor and of course stellar production.

And as much as I love "Muscle Cars", NY is nowhere near ready for the likes of Keak or Turf Talk.

And yes, Faux: Turf is signed to that local yokel label Sic-Wid-It.

Dereliks - Looking For The Perfect Beat

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

but do you have the 12" ep??

Somehow I lost my copy of Explainin' though and that makes me mad.

Can we get a comprehensive list of Unsigned&HellaBroke-era vinyl releases from the Bay? I have the 4001 EP, Rules Of The Game comp, Hobo Junction stuff, and my own shit but that's about it.

I've got those, including both Explainin' and the Dereliks 12", plus:

a Homeless Derilex 12"
    a 427 12"
    a Kirby Dominant 12"
    a second Bored Stiff ep

Some I remember but don't have:

a Various Blends 12"
    a Mic T 12"

And the one I still wish I had:

That first Bomb compilation

Surely there are plenty more...

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

And as much as I love "Muscle Cars", NY is nowhere near ready for the likes of Keak or Turf Talk.

do heads in new york even fuck with muscle cars though? ain't they all about astin martins and lambos and escalades and shit like that out there? Bay heads and south heads seem to be the only ones endorsing the muscle car these days. "In LA they low ride em in the Bay we spin em".

ps - the drum beat on that song is addictive. definite head nodder.

Do you honestly expect national radio to jump on records that are two years old ("Superhyphy", "Super Sick wid It")? I'm not saying it never happens (e.g., "Still Tippin'", "Swang"), just that it really seldom does.

I was talking in the past tense...as in radio should have been playing these when they were hot.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Different Team.

Isn't it Wolfpack?

yes. I got my vans on but they look like sneakers is by the Wolfpack.

http://www.myspace.com/wolfpackmusik

Actually they had to change there name to "The Pack"... Too many other Wolfpacks out there, including one crew from LA. The single is on Jive, we got it in stock.

How come no one mentioned Digital Underground? Not hyphy, but definate bay.

Do The On One
    What If I Had A Gun
    Go Dumb
    18 Dummy

Federation is far from being a "pretty average group." Excellent delivery, infectious hooks, great sense of humor and of course stellar production.

And yes, Faux: Turf is signed to that local yokel label Sic-Wid-It.

Their MCs are decent but not great. There are at least ten acts out of the Bay right now that are shitting all over them. Hooks are admittedly great...

As for Keak or Turf in NYC, I don't recall you ever visiting since I met you a few years back... but if you consider how much burn "Tell Me When To Go" got, and how much burn the southern records continue to get, I don't think it's a big stretch. Nobody mixes out Keaker's verse either.

It might have been a misstatement to lump Turf in with The Team, Ya Boy, Keak, and others, but I think you get the point... the cream of the Bay's crop are locked up in deals that will never, ever get them national shine.

Period.

As for Keak or Turf in NYC, I don't recall you ever visiting since I met you a few years back...

I had a few gigs in New York last summer, but I don't expect you to keep up with my globetrottin' ways (no Meadowlark Lemon, but I did go to Harlem).

• How come no one mentioned Digital Underground? Not hyphy, but definate bay.

We Got More
    Same Song
    Freaks Of The I
    Oregano Flow
    Dowhatchalike

As for Keak or Turf in NYC, I don't recall you ever visiting since I met you a few years back...

I had a few gigs in New York last summer, but I don't expect you to keep up with my globetrottin' ways (no Meadowlark Lemon, but I did go to Harlem).

DDC BOHO WORLD TOUR?!?!?!

• takotako 50 Posts

E-40 - Dusted & Disgusted

too short-dope fiend beat or cusswords
    E40-practice lookin hard
    federation-only wear my white tee once
    hobo junction-out the woodworks

BOHO LES TOUR

St. Mark's Place and shit. I believe you know the area pretty GOOD.

BOHO LES TOUR

Ahhh, the Telegraph Avenue of the East Village

BOHO LES TOUR

Yeah, SweenDog and Noz bought Communist Manifestos and hand-made kufis on their way into my gig that night. I guess that would explain it.

BOHO LES TOUR

Yeah, SweenDog and Noz bought Communist Manifestos and hand-made kufis on their way into my gig that night. I guess that would explain it.

if it had been earlier in the day, they could've also:

bought an underground rap tape or CD
    given a scruffy white kid with a dog some spare change
    bought some jnco jeans at a store playing trance music.

On the upside, you can get good coffee and falafel up there. The similarities are truly endless

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

and given that you took your gig as an opportunity to try to burn down the East Village, we would prefer if you just stick with SF.

unless you play in chelsea...you can burn that whole area down.

• by the way, none of y'all are ready...

• by the way, none of y'all are ready...

holy sheeit im so ready.

and i still dont know why people think u and dat is a subpar song. i mean do rappers really have to be all lyrical and complextical just because they can?

im sayin though there were a few hundred people on the ground level room at club 6 last night who were feelin exactly what i was feelin when e40 was talkin about feelin on some monkey. feel me?

and everytime i play it girls shake that good gushy gushy.

yeah im just fellin it.