THE OFFICIAL HATE ON SHADOW'S NEW ALBUM THREAD!!!

2»

Comments

• Wow-- I must be the only person on here who likes the production on "Enuff" better than "This Time". (Yeah, vocally, I'll take the mysterious "Joe" over Tip & Teef, but the drums on "This Time" are too busy and sound like some Brand New Heavies leftovers.)

Regardless, I'm glad to see to Shadow trying new things. "Endtroducing" kinged one style of production, but I never need to hear him make another version of that album -- for the last ten years other people have been doing it for him.

My own experience of Shadow's two albums is that there are things I like and things I dislike initially (e.g., in '96, I wasn't ready for the drum 'n bass freakouts on "Stem" and in '02 the electro/new wave bent of some of the material turned me off), but that the albums hold up well to repeated listens and with time I come to appreciate them more. In both cases, they opened my ears to some new things and I'm glad for that.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I am sure Justin can clear this up but I'm not sure anyone knows who 'Joe' is...
    I haven't checked the Shadow tracks yet but I too have been in love with the original for a while.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Wow-- I must be the only person on here who likes the production on "Enuff" better than "This Time".
    "I don't mind enuff at all. i mean it sounds like any other pop song out right now, only a little more densely arranged. gotta have something to play on the radio and in the clubs. that's going to cross him over and sell more records. i can't really feel lateef though...never could."

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I like both tracks... Enuff is not amazing, but like Delay said, its no worse (I think its better) than any pop type tracks out... I like this time, for its laid back feel. It looks like Shadow is showing his range with this album, that's good for him.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I like this shit way more than i thought i would!

this time is really dope. Im feeling the soulstrut connection as well.

Im impressed!

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Is there an "official" release date yet?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I am sure Justin can clear this up but I'm not sure anyone knows who 'Joe' is...
    I haven't checked the Shadow tracks yet but I too have been in love with the original for a while.

I remember Justin played 'em and they're pretty much thse beautifull acoustic soul tracks (HOLY HYPERBOLE!), I mean not to diss dude, but there's something very "target commercial/urban outfitters" about both of these songs. They sound so damn generic and CLEAN. I gotta check the "joe" joint again in a car stero/on vinyl but I'm really not feeling the drum beat underneath it either.

But yo..this records will probally be huge though. There seems to be more talk about this one than his follow-up from a few years ago.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I'd like to hear a stripped down version of this track minus the strings and drums.

"Enuff" sounds like old Black Eyed Peas. Is it even possible for Q-Tip to do a good track anymore? One my all-time favs, but he's gotta give me something to listen to here.

I'd like to hear a stripped down version of this track minus the strings and drums.

"Enuff" sounds like old Black Eyed Peas. Is it even possible for Q-Tip to do a good track anymore? One my all-time favs, but he's gotta give me something to listen to here.

Good? Not sure..pretty decent? yeah I just got some bootleg ep of his w/ tracks with D'Angelo and Andre 3000 (I think TTLAB might even have it). The standout is "Original" which just sounds like classic Dilla.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I just got some bootleg ep of his w/ tracks with D'Angelo and Andre 3000 (I think TTLAB might even have it). The standout is "Original" which just sounds like classic Dilla.

Someone please up that.

What's the word on that new Dilla album? I haven't heard anything from it yet. I'm sure he's made enough beats in his years of work to put out another 30 or so albums.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    I just got some bootleg ep of his w/ tracks with D'Angelo and Andre 3000 (I think TTLAB might even have it). The standout is "Original" which just sounds like classic Dilla.

Someone please up that.

What's the word on that new Dilla album? I haven't heard anything from it yet. I'm sure he's made enough beats in his years of work to put out another 30 or so albums.

End of August or something, Karriem has put it all together.

Someone please up that. I should go check that out and buy it if I like it.

Q-Tip Live at the Renaisance

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i might need to get a pink button upa dn move to harlem cuz i am not really digging it that much. and i am no hatter of shadow. i like all his early stuff a lot and i liked the second album enough. but im not liking these 2 tracks here all that much. its a lil premature to judge however. hey, that soul track or whatevers was on jt's sweet soul mix i remember that shit! was it acapella cuz i seem to remember it having a real quiet guitar underneath. and yes that song and the first acapella doo wop joint on jt's mix were the totally awesomest so i guess im kinda biased cuz id rather hear it like i remember minus all the "beats".

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Dang! This is pretty good.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Is it wrong that I clicked on that SoulSides link and saw something mentioning Shadow working on some Radiohead remixes, um.. and I got excited about it?

For real though. I heard that Radiohead asked Shadow to do some remixes around the Ok Computer era and he declined. I'd love to hear Shadow re-work some of the songs off Hail To The Thief. Maybe even Eraser.

Ugh. I think I am a bit of a Shadow fanboy. Haha. That solesides board kinda puts my fandom in perspective though...

Is it wrong that I clicked on that SoulSides link and saw something mentioning Shadow working on some Radiohead remixes, um.. and I got excited about it?

For real though. I heard that Radiohead asked Shadow to do some remixes around the Ok Computer era and he declined. I'd love to hear Shadow re-work some of the songs off Hail To The Thief. Maybe even Eraser..

yeahd and with FAB and Nump doing guest cameos!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i might need to get a pink button upa dn move to harlem cuz i am not really digging it that much.

He should get Dave Matthews on that schitt.