Donald Byrd ethiopian knights

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
Appreciate batches!This album kills me every time. This album to me is so much funkier than alot of raers and grails.What are some other common to medium raers that ya'll like better than some 1 tracker private label dookie?

Comments

• its dope...and i am in need of a copy. holler.

gotta love the intro to the title track.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    AWESOMIC !

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    I havent heard the album in some years but i remember it being somewhat underwhelming aside from maybe a break or tight baseline or two. When i first dropped the needle i was hyped, but eventually all the songs kinda blurred into eachother. A lil bit indistince.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I havent heard the album in some years but i remember it being somewhat underwhelming aside from maybe a break or tight baseline or two. When i first dropped the needle i was hyped, but eventually all the songs kinda blurred into eachother. A lil bit indistince.

I kind of agree here. As good as it is, i'll take

over that any day.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Thats my shit. A little over produced, but i love the mizells. Aside from a referee whistle here and there that album is perfect DBC.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Places and spaces is alright, I like stepping into tomorrow better than that one though.

Myself, I like to form opinions on records I've heard at least 5-10 times. Not records I vaguely remember needle dropping for breaks.

I like ethiopian knights cause the songs are 16, 17 minutes long and they just smoke throughout.

To each their own though...

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    ethiopian knights is the truth. is the cover for everyone else's copy abnormally dark? i'm pretty sure my copy is an og but the cover is crazy dark.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    ethiopian knights is the truth. is the cover for everyone else's copy abnormally dark? i'm pretty sure my copy is an og but the cover is crazy dark.

not only do i remember the cover having a darkly-lit photo, but donald didn't look too happy in that picture. here he is surrounded by all this carnival-like shit, but he's lookin MEAN for some reason

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Thats my shit. A little over produced, but i love the mizells.

Over produced, over produced, over produced...what does this really mean?

To heavy and/or slick on the instrumentation?

The Mizells and Stepney always get this tied to their work and I honestly don't understand why. Can someone explain this to me?

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

The Mizells and Stepney always get this tied to their work and I honestly don't understand why. Can someone explain this to me?

means that their songs are too smooth for someone like me that like raw sounds like Ethiopian knights .. that album is made of 3 jams, the guys just playin on some vamp bass and improvised on the funky rhythms....

it sounds live because it's a live album throughout......

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Yes, this album is another one that's criminally slept on. I couldn't understand why nobody sampled this back in the early 90's when sampling in hip-hop was out of control. Definitely a favorite on mine- just put it on the platter and let it burn to the end, both sides. And BTW, yes, my OG cover of this is VERY dark- way darker than the picture below. I didn't even recall Donald being on the cover... I guess because it was so damn dark he kinda blended into it!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

Yes, basically, produced and paced like a blaxploitation OST. Mizells are notorious for using strings with carefully orchestrated and somewhat mechanical arrangements. More slick late 70s blue note or motown than stax or 60s blue note.

Byrd's also got one out called "Kofi" which is just ace. If it came out at the same time as ethiopian knights or electric byrd it would eclipse them both. Unfortunately it was kept in the can until a few years ago. It has a cover of frank foster's (who also plays on the album) "loud minority" complete with massive break.

Yes, basically, produced and paced like a blaxploitation OST. Mizells are notorious for using strings with carefully orchestrated and somewhat mechanical arrangements. More slick late 70s blue note or motown than stax or 60s blue note.

Byrd's also got one out called "Kofi" which is just ace. If it came out at the same time as ethiopian knights or electric byrd it would eclipse them both. Unfortunately it was kept in the can until a few years ago. It has a cover of frank foster's (who also plays on the album) "loud minority" complete with massive break.

Oh shit, and I thought I had my favorite Donald Byrd LP's locked,...guess not, this shit is DOPE,... Elmina...(!!!!) and this is only released on CD ?? (I like my ish on weeax).....damn !

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    and this is only released on CD ??

it came out on vinyl as well

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    To me Stepnys shit isnt overproduced. His stuff is huge, massive, and epic, but its mostly due to insane arrangements. I love his work.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    Discovered this album when I was an even smaller dude that I am now. All i knew was CTI, Blue Note, etc. This is one great record no doubt.

and this is only released on CD ??

it came out on vinyl as well

So Blue Note put the Kofi album out on vinyl also...
    thanks for info !

I see what ya'll are sayin', I guess my tolerance for 'over produced' material runs pretty high - the limit being Mr. Magic. So a Mizzell record doesn't sound so silky to me and I also associate it with a particular sytle they crafted that I usually don't compare it to anything else.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Yes, this album is another one that's criminally slept on. I couldn't understand why nobody sampled this back in the early 90's when sampling in hip-hop was out of control. Definitely a favorite on mine- just put it on the platter and let it burn to the end, both sides. And BTW, yes, my OG cover of this is VERY dark- way darker than the picture below. I didn't even recall Donald being on the cover... I guess because it was so damn dark he kinda blended into it!

Buckwild used it for that joint with Mic Geronimo and OC, right?

I see what ya'll are sayin', I guess my tolerance for 'over produced' material runs pretty high - the limit being Mr. Magic. So a Mizzell record doesn't sound so silky to me and I also associate it with a particular sytle they crafted that I usually don't compare it to anything else.

Larry Mizell Sky High Productions = D - O - P - E !

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
    Appreciate batches!

I put about 2 minutes of Last Rastifi or whavtever the b-side track is called on a mix with many other "rares"----I remember thinking that it wasn't as "rare" and I was like, "fuck that shit"----this is too dope and so slept on----one of my favourite albums, I just listened to it last week,---2 full side songs that aren't cheezy in the slightest----I've praised this one a few times before---------I think DJ Cam loops the beginning of side 1 on blue note revisited, but I don't think too much of it----gimme the o.g. anyday.

matter of fact, I need a double for this. I gotta cut that shit up.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I used to not like "over produced" records, but I got over it.

Rotary Connection may have been a cool band that rocked the house with funky jams. We will never know, because in essence their records are Stepney records. I like Stepney records, and he did great stuff with Rotary Connection.

To me something like Axelrod's earth Rot is not over produced. Axe is the composer and artists, and the record is the realization of his music.

Phil thank's for that cover pic. I remember I studied that once, but I had forgotten what it was a pic of.

Dan

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I didn't even recall Donald being on the cover... I guess because it was so damn dark he kinda blended into it!

So we can say "Your moma is so dark she was on the cover of Ethiopian Knights and I coudn't even see her!"

I keed, I keed. I only remember Ethiopian Knights but really nothing else (I haven't pulled that record out in a couple of years-but best believe Ethiopian Knights had me shook when I heard it on an old Cut Chemist mixtape!)

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Don't know how someone could not like this LP. One of my favorites. Like Phil said....end to end burner. Never put it on with out someone wanting to know what it is. And yes the cover is very dark.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Really?!? I don't remember that at all. Anybody got an MP3 of the Mic Geronimo song?

BTW, is there a Stephney discog anywhere online? I'm trying to think of other stuff he (over)produced besides the Rotary & Minnie Rip albums. Richard Evans "Dealing With Hard Times" maybe? Some Ramsey Lewis? I know I'm forgetting some major people here.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Really?!? I don't remember that at all. Anybody got an MP3 of the Mic Geronimo song?

BTW, is there a Stephney discog anywhere online? I'm trying to think of other stuff he (over)produced besides the Rotary & Minnie Rip albums. Richard Evans "Dealing With Hard Times" maybe? Some Ramsey Lewis? I know I'm forgetting some major people here.

The two Phil Upchurch LPs on Cadet; The Dells Freedom Means; Electric Mud and After the Rain; that Howlin' Wolf album; Dorothy Ashby's sh!t; the best Ramsey Lewis material...

The two Phil Upchurch LPs on Cadet; The Dells Freedom Means; Electric Mud and After the Rain; that Howlin' Wolf album; Dorothy Ashby's sh!t; the best Ramsey Lewis material...

What Color Is Love, Spice of Life...

If we're talking over produced as brassy late 70s jazz/funk I have never heard that in Stepney's work.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Yeah, that shits straight up heat. See it around the traps for $15-20, when fools be picking up some weak shit for $100.... DAMN! don't sleep... This shits gunna start blowin' up now cuz of the strut, ebay your 2nd copy now!

peace.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Last copy on ebay didn't list Ethiopian Knights in the title. I sent the link to my buddy thinking it would slip under the cracks for like 20. It ended up selling for a little over 50.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Soulful Strings is Stepney, right? String Fever is the one I really like.

Dan