SOULSTRUT IS IN DANGER

HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
Not now, but maybe in the future. You propably heard about the "Net-Neutrality" discussion thats going on. If not google that shit and get some infos beacuse your news medias in the states will probably shut their mouth about it or check this page here: http://www.savetheinternet.com/So there was a heraing or whatever it is called abou that topic with 22 seantors about that topic. One spoke about his decision and made some very nice comments which shows that the people who are making the decissions about very important issues know more than you and me and therefore they are the best choice to be a public representer and decission maker.Read it here or hear it here:A SPEECH WHICH HELPS YOU TO UNDERSTAND THE INTERNET Your Own Personal InternetThe Senate Commerce Committee deadlocked 11 to 11 on an amendment inserting some very basic net neutrality provisions into a moving telecommunications bill. The provisions didn't prohibit an ISP from handling VOIP faster than emails, but would have made it illegal to handle its own VOIP packets faster than a competitor's.Senator Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) explained why he voted against the amendment and gave an amazing primer on how the internet works.There's one company now you can sign up and you can get a movie delivered to your house daily by delivery service. Okay. And currently it comes to your house, it gets put in the mail box when you get home and you change your order but you pay for that, right.But this service isn't going to go through the interent and what you do is you just go to a place on the internet and you order your movie and guess what you can order ten of them delivered to you and the delivery charge is free.Ten of them streaming across that internet and what happens to your own personal internet?I just the other day got, an internet was sent by my staff at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday and I just got it yesterday. Why?Because it got tangled up with all these things going on the internet commercially.So you want to talk about the consumer? Let's talk about you and me. We use this internet to communicate and we aren't using it for commercial purposes.We aren't earning anything by going on that internet. Now I'm not saying you have to or you want to discrimnate against those people [...]The regulatory approach is wrong. Your approach is regulatory in the sense that it says "No one can charge anyone for massively invading this world of the internet". No, I'm not finished. I want people to understand my position, I'm not going to take a lot of time. [?]They want to deliver vast amounts of information over the internet. And again, the internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck.It's a series of tubes.And if you don't understand those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and its going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.Now we have a separate Department of Defense internet now, did you know that?Do you know why?Because they have to have theirs delivered immediately. They can't afford getting delayed by other people.[...]Now I think these people are arguing whether they should be able to dump all that stuff on the internet ought to consider if they should develop a system themselves.Maybe there is a place for a commercial net but it's not using what consumers use every day.It's not using the messaging service that is essential to small businesses, to our operation of families.The whole concept is that we should not go into this until someone shows that there is something that has been done that really is a viloation of net neutraility that hits you and me. -------------------------------------------------------------------------Even if this is kinda funny, it is'nt. It could bring us a total other form of internet that would not be in our intrests.PeaceHawkeye

Comments

• montymonty 420 Posts
    ummmm, they say they need to make the pipe bigger, and somebody's got to pay for it.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    ummmm, they say they need to make the pipe bigger, and somebody's got to pay for it.

The tube analogy discusts me. It is exactly the opposite of why and how the internet was concieved.

Please sign the petition and talk about this with everyone, including people who are not technologically minded. It is in their heads only that this is a good idea.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I wish more would come out about the $200 Billion Broadband Scandal.

It seems like really nobody out there cares.

Don't read this if you don't wanna get really really pissed off... [/b]

http://www.newnetworks.com/ShortSCANDALSummary.htm

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    so what is this about? i didn't understand a single word. can someone break this down. not that i didn't read it. i just don't get it. what is the problem?

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    so what is this about? i didn't understand a single word. can someone break this down. not that i didn't read it. i just don't get it. what is the problem?

from savetheinternet.org

The nation's largest telephone and cable companies ??? including AT&T, Verizon, Comcast and Time Warner ??? want to be Internet gatekeepers, deciding which Web sites go fast or slow and which won't load at all.

They want to tax content providers to guarantee speedy delivery of their data. They want to discriminate in favor of their own search engines, Internet phone services, and streaming video ??? while slowing down or blocking their competitors.

These companies have a new vision for the Internet. Instead of an even playing field, they want to reserve express lanes for their own content and services ??? or those from big corporations that can afford the steep tolls ??? and leave the rest of us on a winding dirt road.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

from savetheinternet.org

The nation's largest telephone and cable companies ??? including AT&T, Verizon, Comcast and Time Warner ??? want to be Internet gatekeepers, deciding which Web sites go fast or slow and which won't load at all.

They want to tax content providers to guarantee speedy delivery of their data. They want to discriminate in favor of their own search engines, Internet phone services, and streaming video ??? while slowing down or blocking their competitors.

These companies have a new vision for the Internet. Instead of an even playing field, they want to reserve express lanes for their own content and services ??? or those from big corporations that can afford the steep tolls ??? and leave the rest of us on a winding dirt road.

how do they wanna do that? what a silly idea. usa = russia or what?!
    governments worldwide are going crazy. the world will be really fucked in 20-30 years. things need to change.

will we still live in democracies in 50 years??? everything is going down. you have two parties in the us. germany has 5, but all of them suck. do we really have a choice? i don't know... the world is coming to a bad end. and i don't feel that there's anything that we can do about it.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    So yeah, as much as it's painful to think about, we have to figure that this is going to happen. I mean, when is the last time a fucked up evil scheme was foiled here in America?

Call me jaded, but I really don't believe writing my congressman will do anything.

Is anyone talking about what can be done if/when this goes through? Ways of protesting?

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
    shit this is scary i knew the US goverment wanted to control the internet but i didn't realise it had gone this far, it's all tied into this terrorism shit too, its all an excuse to "corperatise" the internet and gain control over what you can and can't do and where you spend your money ect, this will kill the freedom of the internet, i know the UK goverment would like to do the same thing many news stories about kids using the internet tend to get the bigest reaction, but it's upto the parent to control that not just to hand it to the state.

Something must be done this is the sort of thing where you'll only miss it when it's gone, i really hope this shit doesn't happen.
    Thanks for making me aware of this dude.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    They WILL make this happen ....Americans gave up our rights a long time ago ....a long time ago....and whatever they cant take away from us they scare us into handing them ...

its like a predictable movie at this point.....

something bad happens through MYSPACE and we are going to hand the government complete control of the internet

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    how do they wanna do that? what a silly idea. usa = russia or what?!
    governments worldwide are going crazy. the world will be really fucked in 20-30 years. things need to change.

will we still live in democracies in 50 years. everything is going down. you have two parties in the us. germany has 5, but all of them suck. do we really have a choice? i don't know... the world is coming to a bad end. and i don't feel that there's anything that we can do about it.

This is really more than anything else about the drawbacks to capitalist society. Americans are once again making decisions about communication which will impact our social and financial well-being based on the whims of large businesses. (this isn't new, the US government used to give away FM radio stations) It points at how ill-informed people are who believe that the Internet is special because of its bidirectional mode of communication. Financially speaking, to those attempting to regulate it, it's a source of revenue. Just remember:

1. Technologically there is NO reason why they can't do this.

2. Unregulated Internet usage is a huge untapped source of telecommunications revenue in the USA.

It also has potentially terrible social implication, such as to widening the "digital divide," which up until recently was closing (within the US at least) as concerns income, gender, education, and race. Also see Norris "the digital divide," Putnam "bowling alone," and Neumann "the future of mass media."

And if this is not hitting home with some people here, I'll sketch it in terms that might be more understandable: You will still be able to buy rare records on eBay, but you WILL NOT be able to brag about it online anymore.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

This is really more than anything else about the drawbacks to capitalist society. Americans are once again making decisions about communication which will impact our social and financial well-being based on the whims of large businesses. (this isn't new, the US government used to give away FM radio stations) It points at how ill-informed people are who believe that the Internet is special because of its bidirectional mode of communication. Financially speaking, to those attempting to regulate it, it's a source of revenue. Just remember:

2. Unregulated Internet usage is a huge untapped source of telecommunications revenue in the USA.

As far as I know every method of mass communication is controlled by the the government here in the U.S. to some degree. Whether it's CB Radios, Commercial AM/FM Radio, Television...... even the mail, recorded and print media has to follow laws that are in place.

But is this an American phenomena???

Aren't these things under the control of the governemnt in EVERY country??

And what would make anyone think that the Internet would be the exception to this rule??

Without debating whether it's "right or wrong"....isn't this just the way of the world??

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    And if this is not hitting home with some people here, I'll sketch it in terms that might be more understandable: You will still be able to buy rare records on eBay, but you WILL NOT be able to brag about it online anymore.

Fuck you. Some of us have invested everything they have in making a living using free internet. Take the I won't win so I won't fight position on this if you want. You are a bitch for doing so. Go to your site with the lame jokes.

Fuck you. some of us have invested everything they have in making a living using free internet. Take the I won't win so I won't fight position on this if you want. You are a bitch for doing so. Take your jokes to your site.

wow - touchy.

I think a lot of us here have quite a bit invested in the interenet as it works now. Not just you.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts

I think a lot of us here have quite a bit invested in the interenet as it works now. Not just you.

Exactly my point. Your opinion that we shouldn't make an effort because it will happen anyway doesn't belong anywhere near this topic. Everyone should be angry about this. If you need to take a pill to get angry, do so.

Your opinion that we shouldn't make an effort because it will happen anyway doesn't belong anywhere near this topic.

When did I ever say this?

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    HELLOOOOO, guys, instead of fucking each other we should think if there is any way we can do something.

Peace

Exactly my point. Your opinion that we shouldn't make an effort because it will happen anyway doesn't belong anywhere near this topic. Everyone should be angry about this. If you need to take a pill to get angry, do so.

Don't get me wrong....I like the Internet just the way it is.

But after reading a few websites that detail what could happen if the governemnt has their way it seems to me this is EXACTLY what our Post Office currently does.

The faster you want a package to arrive the more you pay, and if you want to insure it arrives safe you pay for insurance.....is this a fair analogy??

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Fuck you. some of us have invested everything they have in making a living using free internet. Take the I won't win so I won't fight position on this if you want. You are a bitch for doing so. Take your jokes to your site.

wow - touchy.

Yeah, dude! Go back to your own site with those lame jokes. People on soulstrut are about serious political action! That's why this thread will surely get more views and replies than the "Solo Face" thread! (No disrespect, A*dr*y!)

wow - touchy.

Yeah, dude! Go back to your own site with those lame jokes. People on soulstrut are about serious political action! That's why this thread will surely get more views and replies than the "Solo Face" thread! (No disrespect, A*dr*y!)

Don't even joke about SOLO FACE - I know people who know people who know where you live!

But after reading a few websites that detail what could happen if the governemnt has their way it seems to me this is EXACTLY what our Post Office currently does.

The faster you want a package to arrive the more you pay, and if you want to insure it arrives safe you pay for insurance.....is this a fair analogy??

No, that's not an accurate analogy. We, as customers, will still be paying the same rates (for potentially decreased service to many, if not most, of the sites we love). It is the content providers (i.e. websites, such as Soul Strut) who will have to pay the internet service providers to assure customers of said ISPs can reach them at broadband speeds.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    No, a package needs a day from one point to the other (here in germany) it doesnt matter if its from Amazon or from me. But if the would change the post thing here like they wann change the net it mould mean that Amazons package is still there after one day but mine privat package needs two days.

Thats fucked up. There is a certain standart that everybody is the same, thats what I understand under freedom and equality. If the change it the dividing of poor and rich gets bigger.

Just think of information. Every cititzen got the right to get free information, thats the base for democracy beacuse out of those informations you will build a decision which party you will choose the next election. If only the big news corporations get through your informations could be filtered, which means you only get to know what you should to know. You dont have the freedom to choose, you get only what another person/party choosed to let you know.

So thats the problem behind the whole topic.

Peace

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

As in the thread I posted above. Service providers were already given 200 billion of taxpayer money. Americans were scammed in the biggest boondoggle in American history.

Most americans should be enjoying service that countries like Sweden & alot of Asia already have.

Myself, I'd be asking where all that money went too...

As in the thread I posted above. Service providers were already given 200 billion of taxpayer money. Americans were scammed in the biggest boondoggle in American history.

Most americans should be enjoying service that countries like Sweden & alot of Asia already have.

Myself, I'd be asking where all that money went too...

What are Cocain and Whores?

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts

Don't even joke about SOLO FACE - I know people who know people who know where you live!

Easily one of the lamest things I've ever seen on the internet.

Sorry, I was a little out of line above.

Easily one of the lamest things I've ever seen on the internet.

Solo Face, or Crink's comment? Because the joke is he does know where I live! How else could he have sent me that Amazingly Cool Mix from that other site?

Thank, I*n! I was trying to sound "hard" - but now I just look like an idiot referring to myself as "people who know people".

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

As far as I know every method of mass communication is controlled by the the government here in the U.S. to some degree. Whether it's CB Radios, Commercial AM/FM Radio, Television...... even the mail, recorded and print media has to follow laws that are in place.

And what would make anyone think that the Internet would be the exception to this rule??

Without debating whether it's "right or wrong"....isn't this just the way of the world??

Do you even beleive the things you write? Do just like to take the other side to piss off liberals?

Yes, you are right, CB Radios, Commercial AM/FM Radio, Television...... even the mail is controled by the government.

Yes, you are right, freedom exsists on the internet in the US unfettered by government.

Yes, you are right, France and China and other countries have more control over what is on the net than our country.

Since the early days of the internet, right or wrong, the internet (for us) has been wide open and free. This has meant interactive political speech the likes of which this country has never seen. This has meant endless amounts of porn the likes of which the world has never seen. This has meant 9 year olds on myspace pretending to be 19 year olds and using dirty words. This has meant that every record collector is now also a record seller. This has meant that White people can argue with Black people over the definition of acting white.

Most of us do not want to shrug our shoulders and say "this is the way of world". Most of us want to keep our freedom. When it is gone, I will blame you.

Do you even beleive the things you write? Do just like to take the other side to piss off liberals?

Yes, you are right, CB Radios, Commercial AM/FM Radio, Television...... even the mail is controled by the government.

Yes, you are right, freedom exsists on the internet in the US unfettered by government.

Yes, you are right, France and China and other countries have more control over what is on the net than our country.

Since the early days of the internet, right or wrong, the internet (for us) has been wide open and free. This has meant interactive political speech the likes of which this country has never seen. This has meant endless amounts of porn the likes of which the world has never seen. This has meant 9 year olds on myspace pretending to be 19 year olds and using dirty words. This has meant that every record collector is now also a record seller. This has meant that White people can argue with Black people over the definition of acting white.

Most of us do not want to shrug our shoulders and say "this is the way of world". Most of us want to keep our freedom. When it is gone, I will blame you.

You'll blame me because I'm the guy who pointed out that the Internet is going to be regulated just like every other medium already is on every inch of the Planet.....that's brilliant.

Seriously, what are you smoking to think that it would wind up any other way.

I'm just calling it like I see it and apparently the reality of that pisses people off?????

I didn't say I supported this inevitable result, I just don't live in a dream world where I wish/hope/pray it doesn't happen......anyone with any foresight could have predicted this 10 years ago.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

You'll blame me because I'm the guy who pointed out that the Internet is going to be regulated just like every other medium already is on every inch of the Planet.....that's brilliant.

Seriously, what are you smoking to think that it would wind up any other way.

I'm just calling it like I see it and apparently the reality of that pisses people off?????

I didn't say I supported this inevitable result, I just don't live in a dream world where I wish/hope/pray it doesn't happen......anyone with any foresight could have predicted this 10 years ago.

Obviously you aren't taking enough angry pills.

I think Z-illa can hook you up with a scrip.