NBA OFF SEASON-What It Be Like!!!

124»

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I'm hoping Nelson will turn him around. If there's ever been a point FORWARD's coach its him.

I look to Nellie to put the ball in someone elses hands and to let Davis shoot away. He had the luxury of Nash in Dallas, and I dont see Davis changing his Marbury mentality at this point in his career.

Nelson also had Timmy Hardaway. If he feels like the PG is more about scoring he'll put the ball in the SF's hands, but if the PG is good enough to do both then he'll be the main ball handler.

In fact you could draw a lot of comparison between T. Hardaway and B. Davis. Both put up good assists numbers but had bad tendencies to pull up for an ill-advised 3-pointer.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    GP has signed back on with Miami for another season. Actually, their entire roster is back for another round. How will they fare with targets on their backs instead of a sleeper team that just pulled it together when it counted?

• In fact you could draw a lot of comparison between T. Hardaway and B. Davis. Both put up good assists numbers but had bad tendencies to pull up for an ill-advised 3-pointer.

ehh. i love both of their games but they are diff players. tim was a pg who couuld score, baron is a natural scorer and is definitely not as comfortable dishing. also, i think tim shot a lot more 3s with golden state since run-n-gun was their style. you didnt catch him jacking as much once he left. neither of them are/were great passers. i always thought mullin made run tmc work.

In fact you could draw a lot of comparison between T. Hardaway and B. Davis. Both put up good assists numbers but had bad tendencies to pull up for an ill-advised 3-pointer.

ehh. i love both of their games but they are diff players. tim was a pg who couuld score, baron is a natural scorer and is definitely not as comfortable dishing. also, i think tim shot a lot more 3s with golden state since run-n-gun was their style. you didnt catch him jacking as much once he left. neither of them are/were great passers. i always thought mullin made run tmc work.

My friend from another board did a complete statistical breakdown of Baron Davis' career counting 3s, 2s, free throws, assists, etc. Despite the image, he actually does not shoot that many 3s, and last year he had a very high assist rate (don't remember if it was career high). He also shot more with a better team, the Hornets, than with a bad team, the Warriors, so I would disagree with your characterization of him being a scorer more than a passer.

Here's a little bit of what my friend wrote about Baron Davis:

Not everyone may find this interesting (or maybe no one will), but I did a little breakdown of Baron Davis's shooting habits, and I found the results surprising, so I thought I'd share them.

My perception last season was the Davis took far too many 3-pointers, at the expense of driving and passing. I read the same thing many times in posts from this group as well as in media pieces, so I believe this is a pretty common view.

What I did is for each season (or part-season, in the year Davis played for two teams), I calculated what proportion of Davis's shots were 2-point attempts, what proportion were 3-point attempts, and what proportion were foul attempts. To get something like commensurability between field goal and free throw attempts, I divided free throw attempts by two for the purpose of calculating the proportions. However, that is not necessarily the correct adjustment, and thus the study is informative not so much in the absolute levels of the numbers, but in how the proportions change from season to season.

Here it is:

Season % 2-point shots % 3-point shots % free throws
    1999-2000 63.2 21.8 15
    2000-1 60.7 24.3 15
    2001-2 57.1 31.6 11.2
    2002-3 59.6 32.8 7.6
    2003-4 51.96 36.88 11.15
    2004-5 (Hornets) 47.3 39 13.7
    2004-5 (Warriors) 44.4 41.5 14.1
    2005-6 53.4 32.2 14.4

What I expected to find was that Davis's % 3 point attempts were way up last season, and his % foul attempts was way down, because he wasn't driving. Not true at all, as it turned out. Davis's 3-point proportion was the lowest it had been since 2001-2, and his free throw proportion was the highest it had been since his second season in 2000-1, at which point in his career he was taking very few 3-pointers. The time when he was really jacking up the 3s was his 28 games with the Warriors the prior season, when we were all in love with him.
    The problem last season was not really with the number of 3s he was taking, but the fact that he shot such a poor percentage--his worst since his second season. The standard line is that if he wasn't making 3s, he should have shot fewer of them, but in fact, he did, relative to his usual game. Add in that he posted his career high assist per minute figure, and the criticism that he turned into a gunner last year does not really hold water--he just had a very poor season shooting the ball, much like Dunleavy, Murphy, Pietrus, Cabarkapa ....

Some other comments:

Lumping all 2-point shots together is unsatisfying, since we'd like to distinguish between "aggressive" and "passive" shots. However, for a player like Davis, just comparing 3-point shots to foul shots is very informative, since it gives some measure of jump shots vs. drives.

The steady increase in 3-point attempts with the Hornets is interesting, and probably provides a good story for his rise and fall with them.

I think this gives insight as to what to hope for from Nelson this season. Nelson doesn't need to "reign Davis in;" he needs to coach an offense that creates better shots for everybody, so that percentages go up. Maybe that comes from speeding the tempo, maybe from freak lineups, but it's really the key, as simplistic as it sounds.

• Portland has undoubtedly made the best off season moves. For a team thats future was uncertain 6 months ago that says a lot for the teams intern management.

Watch out for Jamaal Magloire......he will return to all-star status.

Also keep an eye on Sergio Rodriguez.....ya'll watch him fuck up Argentina?

For whoever doubts Webster......he's not even 20 yet. Nate has held back his playing time on purpose. Why rush the kid?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    GP has signed back on with Miami for another season. Actually, their entire roster is back for another round. How will they fare with targets on their backs instead of a sleeper team that just pulled it together when it counted?

Last year's run was fueled by Dwyane Wade's unprecedented performances. If he can come close to replicating that, then Miami has a great shot at a 2-peat. Next year will prove whether D-Wade is "crazy good" or "great". As far as pressure, no, the team has plenty of vets. But they are not a lock in the East.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Last year's run was fueled by Dwyane Wade's unprecedented performances. If he can come close to replicating that, then Miami has a great shot at a 2-peat. Next year will prove whether D-Wade is "crazy good" or "great".

I agree with you.

But they are not a lock in the East.

Care to make a preliminary prediction on who is?

Last year's run was fueled by Dwyane Wade's unprecedented performances. If he can come close to replicating that, then Miami has a great shot at a 2-peat. Next year will prove whether D-Wade is "crazy good" or "great".

I agree with you.

Hmmmm, Detroit's gonna get like 50 wins without Wallace.

Cleveland ideally should play in the East Finals, but they're young and relatively inexperienced.

New Jersey is at best a 2nd round loser.

Chicago obviously has a little potential now. Maybe we'll see 50+ wins and a 2nd round appearance. But until they prove themselves....

Washington should be better this season. They barely lost to Cleveland last year in the playoffs.

Okay, I'd say Miami's in the Finals again.

In other NBA News, Wilkins, Barkley, and Dumars will be inducted into the Hall-of-Fame:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I agree with you.

Hmmmm, Detroit's gonna get like 50 wins without Wallace.

Cleveland ideally should play in the East Finals, but they're young and relatively inexperienced.

New Jersey is at best a 2nd round loser.

Chicago obviously has a little potential now. Maybe we'll see 50+ wins and a 2nd round appearance. But until they prove themselves....

Washington should be better this season. They barely lost to Cleveland last year in the playoffs.

Okay, I'd say Miami's in the Finals again.

I dont see Miami this year. Shaq proved what he had to do.
    Detroit will not get 50+ wins w/out Wallace. But i cant sleep on champions.Theyre gonna have to shift the core energy to someone else. Wallace was the heart. Who the heart now? E-40 hattin Rasheed. The character of the team is gonna be diff.Better than last year - i cant se it.

Save this shit for the REAL NBA thread.

• Charles Barkley is both brilliant and infuriating as an announcer. As a player, he was one of the best or at least most fun to watch that I ever had the privelege to see. Well-deserved honor. And 'Nique? Well, too bad they never could get past the Celtics. That playoff game where he and Bird both went apeshit is one of my fondest sports memories.

Charles Barkley is both brilliant and infuriating as an announcer. As a player, he was one of the best or at least most fun to watch that I ever had the privelege to see. Well-deserved honor.

His revitalization of Phoenix was incredible.

Marbury coming out with the Starbury Ones priced at $14.98:

I think this is a move in the right direction considering shoes these days are WAAAAAY overpriced. I mean when you're paying $200 for Jordans or like 120 for the newewst Adidas or Reebok! you know something's wrong.

Course when you're buying Nike basketball shoes, you get the best quality. I doubt these Starburys have the right support and cushioning to feel comfortable over a long duration, but still, a good look and good move.

Marbury coming out with the Starbury Ones priced at $14.98:

I think this is a move in the right direction considering shoes these days are WAAAAAY overpriced. I mean when you're paying $200 for Jordans or like 120 for the newewst Adidas or Reebok! you know something's wrong.

Course when you're buying Nike basketball shoes, you get the best quality. I doubt these Starburys have the right support and cushioning to feel comfortable over a long duration, but still, a good look and good move.

My homie was talkin these up but he's a Knick fan. Marbury is throwin a serious monkey wrench in the game w/ prices under $20. I gotta say I dont like the ballerina design they have or the boring colorways, but in time, im sure Marbury will debut some flavors. I wait it out. My homie said the waiting line for these kix was crazy long out the door. Another thang Marbury got goin for him is that theyre only available in one NYC spot.

One of the greatest European players in NBA history retired today.

Privledged to come to a championship caliber team. If he had played somewhere else @ that time I thing his contributions would have been different.
    I loved playing w/ him on Genesis USA Basketball - Team Croatia was doin it. Money had a sick signature move.