Superunknown ?

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
oh, I just happened to see the last video from the audioslave and I was missing so much the old days, back in the day when Cornell was THE ROCK SINGER........this is highly personal opinion but ROCK (as intended in the old fashioned guitar-way )is DEAD and probably Soundgarden was the "last of mohicans" ... ...

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

oh, I just happened to see the last video from the audioslave and I was missing so much the old days, back in the day when Cornell was THE ROCK SINGER.....

...this is highly personal opinion but ROCK (as intended in the old fashioned guitar-way )is DEAD and probably Soundgarden was the "last of mohicans" ... ...

Mourning alt rock? Interesting, and the one that gave us "Spoonman," no less.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    On a popular scale,dead maybe, but just check the underground.
    Trans Am last album was good.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    ...... and the one that gave us "Spoonman," no less.

man you are makin me cry.....I remember when I was a 14 years old kid and so much into the seattle scene ..... in the summer that superunknown came out I was working as waiter and "playing the spoons" all the time .......

I dare to say that music was the better than what is around today

I still can't understand how can you make popular talent-less people as white stripes ?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    dude that soundgarden record sucks ass.

there hasnt been a decent straight up rock band since Pavement.

the Clash were really the last TRUELY great in the clasic sense of the word ROCK BAND.

the Clash were really the last TRUELY great in the clasic sense of the word ROCK BAND.

Pavement is a band ? when this happened ? I thousgh it was just another word to describe the floor in the houses

you need to get out more if you hold Superunknown to lofty heights of rock greatness and you don't even know there was a band CALLED pavement let alone ever heard them???

dude

to put it in terms you could relate to that's like you're a big medeski martin and wood fan.. really feelin the hammond.. but you aint never heard of jimmy smith.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Soundgarden is sucking.

Back in the ole days we used to call dude 'Chris Cornchip' because he's cheesy like a Dorito.

---

• to put it in terms you could relate to that's like you're a big PAVEMENT fan.. really feelin em.. but you aint never heard of THE FALL.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

(cue sound of hearty chuckling in NC)

so that isn't Stephen Malkmus in your avatar then?

---

so that isn't Stephen Malkmus in your avatar then?

Um, no.

I'd be the first to say (original) rock is dead nowadays (though I do happen to like several current bands at the moment), but the assertion that "there hasnt been a decent straight up rock band since Pavement" is highly amusing.

First off, there's been lots of good bands in the past ten years. Secondly, Pavement not only weren't that good to begin with (I could easily do without their entire discography except CROOKED RAIN, and yes I'm including their painfully amateurish releases prior to that album), but they were responsible for just as many horrible soundalike underground bands in their wake as Nirvana were responsible for horrible soundalike mainstream bands in theirs.

That said, I think claiming "Soundgarden was the 'last of mohicans'" in the rock world is an equally hilarious statement... and I actually liked Soundgarden a lot more than Pavement.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    come on are you serious
    that shit corny when i was 13
    its fucked that anyone is even still checking for these guys

I actually liked Soundgarden a lot more than Pavement.

call me a snob, but this is like saying Linkin Park is better than Korn or something.

I can't abide that Cornell wailing, Malkmus smugness isn't much better really.

Anyway, "Rock and Roll" died in 1959 or so, even the 'British Invasion' started off as a retro-revival movement.

call me a snob, but this is like saying Linkin Park is better than Korn or something.

Call us two snobs, but this is like saying Matchbox 20 is better than Third Eye Blind.

Anyway, "Rock and Roll" died in 1959 or so, even the 'British Invasion' started off as a retro-revival movement.

Saying though. Little Richard was the "last of the Mohicans"

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Please everybody stop comparing a great band like Pavement to horrible Soundgarden. Thats like comparing The Pixies to Creed or something.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    Please everybody stop comparing a great band like Pavement to horrible Soundgarden. Thats like comparing The Pixies to Creed or something.

you need to get out more if you hold Superunknown to lofty heights of rock greatness and you don't even know there was a band CALLED pavement let alone ever heard them???

I'm sure you are aware of the word "sarcasm" and its meaning huh ?

...this is like saying Linkin Park is better than Matchbox 20 or something.

this is probably the most apt - faux-hard doodoo compared with faux-sensitive doodoo

I won't lie, I had 'Slanted & Enchanted' & all that early Drag city shit when it came out - looking back on it now it seems like some adolescent navel gazing garbage.

Why do people think they're so sainted anyway? cuz it's 'smart'?!? fuck that.

---

That said, I think claiming "Soundgarden was the 'last of mohicans'" in the rock world is an equally hilarious statement... and I actually liked Soundgarden a lot more than Pavement.

that statement was not really serious.......it was just a way to say that to my ears the new bands doesn't sound as good as the old ones and that's totally a personal statement............

I can't understand why most of you take shit so seriously ........

......having said that.........

fuck pavement....the name is Dinosaur Jr, you bunch of nerdy snobs !

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Maybe you should listen to "slanted" again, that album still sounds as great as it did the day it came out. One of the best albums in the last 15 years imho.

• Options

Pavement is a band ? when this happened ? I thousgh it was just another word to describe the floor in the houses

You obviously don't own a house.

K.

Maybe you should listen to "slanted" again, that album still sounds as great as it did the day it came out. One of the best albums in the last 15 years imho.

I saw Pavement on the 'Crooked Rain' tour - I had reached an elevated plane on mushrooms & I saw deep into Malkmus's soul & realized that he was a fraud afraid of making a true connection with his audience. I never looked back...

( they shouldn't have kicked out that crazy drummer either, his proggy drumming was half of what made 'slanted' interesting in the first place...)

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

dude, rock and roll died no later than 1878. that, my friend, is a fact.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    I've never listened to Superunknown all the way through. I was kind of turned
    off by the singles. Their 88 album, Ultramega OK, is tuff as hell though.
    Much more in the Sabbath tradition than their later stuff (that I've heard). Plus their Howlin Wolf cover of "Smokestack Lightning" is real nice. So, if anybody has a formed opinion of Soundgarden and hasn't heard that album I recommend it.

As for Pavement I used to own Slanted and Enchanted but could never get into it.

word to the FAll easily the best rock band of the 80's in terms of sheer consistent balls out doin it.

i can understand pavement had a certain je nes sais pas which can be off putting to alot of people.. but look at the facts: Malkmus is really the best lyricist of his generation (well white lyricist so as to not piss off all the rap fans) and easily one of the best guitarists too. the band while cribbin heavily from swell maps / the fall et al, certainly did there own thang. slanted / crooked / wowee and even brighten the corners were all great records each one building off tangents from their previous works.

i saw them live about 5 times all over varying stages of their career. some gigs were great in that they were so wasted and sloppy they never even did a single song correct, made up new ones on the spot, jammed nonsensically and other times they were the tightest band i'd ever seen in my life.

soundgarden were interesting for about 10 minutes before louder than love came out and then it was all suckage from there on in.. they were really just a semi unique metal band.. but compared to something like Kyuss / Sleep they were pretty freakin lightweight...

that said i think the problem with most modern bands is that whole "had to be there factor" i mean i was 18 when slanted came out.. in my first serious band.. doin the indy rock thang.. so that was the right time right place.. in retrospect listening to the crooked rain special edition i was kinda unimpressed for the most part.. the production was really blase, most of the dynamics were a bit too similar. lyrically the shit is brilliant but the presentation wasnt nearly as awe inspring as when id first heard it.

you really can't say that about the Fall or the Clash or any number of that last breed of great bands, wire, gang o four spring to mind. those bands just DESTROY the second one of their songs come on.. it's just so overpoweringly DOPE. it's a mysterious quality for sure.. but its those hairs standing up on the back of the neck moments like the bassline to London calling, hearing Hip Priest for the first time, Pink Flag at full volume... hell i went to the gang of four show last week and they were INSANE, would have blown ANY band off the stage.. i mean you think the bravery or the killers can fuck with andy gill???? ME THINKS NOT.

but at least Pavement fit into that art rock tradition which is alot more than can be said about most bands now which just create a complete travesty of the very things they suppossedly love.

soundgarden were interesting for about 10 minutes before louder than love came out and then it was all suckage from there on in..

this was a very cruel statement

....you can hate soundgarden, but you can't deny the album SUPERUNKNOWN is a very good album .....c'mon hear the drums sounds goddammit !

how can you describe that album as metal ?

it stands for quality ...in sound & songwriting.

to all of you that gave a listen to it,
    please tell me the reasons why you don't like it ?

Let Me Drown
    My Wave Cornell
    Fell on Black Days
    Mailman
    Superunknown
    Head Down
    Black Hole Sun
    Spoonman
    Limo Wreck
    The Day I Tried to Live
    Kickstand
    Fresh Tendrils
    4th of July
    Half Shepherd
    Like Suicide

but really black whole sun is enough reason for me to never listen to that record...

Let Me Drown
    My Wave Cornell
    Fell on Black Days
    Mailman
    Superunknown
    Head Down
    Black Hole Sun
    Spoonman
    Limo Wreck
    The Day I Tried to Live
    Kickstand
    Fresh Tendrils
    4th of July
    Half Shepherd
    Like Suicide

but really black whole sun is enough reason for me to never listen to that record...

the last sentence means you never listen the record just cause of MTV..

...but I'm sure if the same album was put out by some obscure indie band, things would've been different

due we dont have mtv up here.

look i had ultramega ok. had screaming life / fop... had louder than love.. hell somebody even gave me the louder than live VIDEO. but soundgarden lost any appeal to me with superunknown.

this being the followup it had even less appeal to me.

its just over produced waaaaay to serious adult contemporary metal.

i mean look at those titles!!! i refuse to listen to anybody with a song called "Like Suicide"

pathetic

i like happy music man.. not shit for 14 year olds to paint their rooms black too...